More Trolls?

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Well I freely confess having written lots of silly garbage and having sometimes gotten into arguments with folks myself, but none of that has ever been out of spite. So I apologize if I've offended anyone with my stupid drivel!
That was you?! Yeah, I remember that snarky comment you made about my mama’s CS Strat several years ago. Don’t you EVER talk about my mama’s Strat! Got it?
JK, mama has a Tele, mim, poly, the works.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
Since the last software upgrade- adding the 'similar threads' box, at the bottom of the page- there are more Zombie exhumations going on. I know this 'drives traffic', for the marketing people but is in direct contravention of the rules. A sign of the times, perhaps?

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
It's probably been suggested but it's not a bad idea to take a break from the board when you feel that way. You won't miss much while you're gone. I took a nice long break beginning last year and into this year.
Also, there's nothing wrong with using the ignore feature. Just like in any environment or milieu you're bound to run into folks that just rub you the wrong way. It may seem strange on an Internet forum but it happens. Most folks are great but there are always some who you know wouldn't be your cup of tea if you met them in person.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
It's probably been suggested but it's not a bad idea to take a break from the board when you feel that way. You won't miss much while you're gone. I took a nice long break beginning last year and into this year. Also, there's nothing wrong with using the ignore feature. Just like in any environment or milieu you're bound to run into folks that just rub you the wrong way.
I did resort to blocking (ignoring?) a few people, and that did help. You know, all it takes is one or two...
This site is literally my one and only "social media" activity, so I want it to remain a positive experience (which it is, for sure). I just wish they'd add a teleportation feature, where I could beam right over to hear your bands in person, or you could all pop over to my house and take a look at my guitar when I'm unsure of something.

Last edited:

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I think there are more. But only because our membership has grown so much. There’s just so many more people here now than there used to be that there are bound to be a few more clunkers. I definitely don’t think it’s disproportionate. That is to say, going by percentage, I don’t think it’s any worse than it’s ever been.

More people just means more of every kind. Which is actually the sunny side of the situation. Sure, there are more clunkers, but that also means there are more awesome people.

I'd say the same. The numbers are going up, here, but the doofus/delightful ratio seems to be the same.

For my own amusement I derive the registered member/on ignore ratio, like it's a signal/noise ratio. TDPRI is staying the same. Squier-Talk is staying the same. Strat-Talk is clearly changing for the worse, has been devolving over the last couple of years, and that trend isn't slowing down. Lots of people joining and bringing a combative, Twitter attitude with them. They're just noise that increasingly competes with the signal.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'd say the same. The numbers are going up, here, but the doofus/delightful ratio seems to be the same.

For my own amusement I derive the registered member/on ignore ratio, like it's a signal/noise ratio. TDPRI is staying the same. Squier-Talk is staying the same. Strat-Talk is clearly changing for the worse, has been devolving over the last couple of years, and that trend isn't slowing down. Lots of people joining and bringing a combative, Twitter attitude with them. They're just noise that increasingly competes with the signal.
Yeah. I’ve looked at strat talk but haven’t joined. The Strat forum here is enough for me.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
Are there more trolls here these days? Or am I just noticing them more? Or am I becoming less tolerant? I guess this question is mostly for people who have been at TDPRI for a long time. It just seems like there are far more rude comments nowadays, and people looking to be argumentative. I have even resorted to blocking a few users, which I never did before. I don't come here to fight with people, and honestly that is the last thing on earth I have any interest in doing. I come here to talk about music and guitars, and hear what people have to say, and learn what I can, and maybe have a laugh or two. It doesn't take much trollism to turn me off.
There seem to be a lot of "leading" questions posted, more than I remember from my earlier days.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
Since the last software upgrade- adding the 'similar threads' box, at the bottom of the page- there are more Zombie exhumations going on. I know this 'drives traffic', for the marketing people but is in direct contravention of the rules. A sign of the times, perhaps?

I was wondering about this as well. I wouldn't mind some clarity about it.

Doctor of Teleocity
F7081CED-7867-4CAB-81A8-E039626B7845.jpeg

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Sometimes people are given "trolling privileges" depending on their status. James Wilsey's introductory and amusing troll "I hate red guitars" at the old FDP was off putting to some until people figured out who he was.

Personally I stopped worrying about trolls about the same time "pwned" became a thing.

kuch

Tele-Holic
I don't think I've offended anyone here, definitely not on purpose. I do apologize if I have.

But.... when people ask for opinions, sometimes, actually most of the time I'll say what I'm thinking. I do try to be tactful in how I present my views, but as we all know, it doesn't always come across how we intend it to.

There have been some people here who seem to either be ignorant or just don't know how to express themselves in a "polite" manner.

When this happens, I just move on and ignore them

Happy 4th to all of you! :)