More Trolls?

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
There are some who seem very nit-picky, semantical, or contrarian for the sake of being opinionated, but they are by far the vast minority. Like, one out of every 45 or so.

This forum is extremely well modded. You wanna see free for all unabashed mean spiritedness, check out a certain set neck guitar forum... It's like they're collecting the angry "get off my lawn" grand-dads of the internet. Very little mod interference.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Are there more trolls here these days? Or am I just noticing them more? Or am I becoming less tolerant? I guess this question is mostly for people who have been at TDPRI for a long time. It just seems like there are far more rude comments nowadays, and people looking to be argumentative. I have even resorted to blocking a few users, which I never did before. I don't come here to fight with people, and honestly that is the last thing on earth I have any interest in doing. I come here to talk about music and guitars, and hear what people have to say, and learn what I can, and maybe have a laugh or two. It doesn't take much trollism to turn me off.
I have been here for 12 years and I can't say I have noticed any more or less intolerance/trolling/etc.
Might help to take a break from the Bad Dog Cafe from time to time, it has always been a rowdy gin joint ;)

Last edited:

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Spend some time on The Gear Page, it will make any discourse here seem trivial by comparison :lol:

Don't get me wrong, love The Gear Page and spend quite a bit of time there as well. But...it is what it is, and I accept it :eek:

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
My attitude devolves as my health issues intensify. Sometimes I become sicker & I can be somewhat troll-ish.
Please accept my apologies if I have been perceived this way. It is not intended, and today I spent the morning in the ER passing another kidney stone, the 2nd in 13 days. Go for the pain, stay for the meds. Today they mainlined me with morphine, and oh boy was I flying. Not a lifestyle I recommend...
Spend some time on The Gear Page, it will make any discourse here seem trivial by comparison :lol:

Don't get me wrong, love The Gear Page and spend quite a bit of time there as well. But...it is what it is, and I accept it :eek:
This is true. the mods seem to very busy over there.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Sometimes the only way to learn what is not tolerated is by observing what is. Sometimes, the truth is mistaken for wizard-level trolling, but low-hanging fruit is irresistible for the idle, and disagreement deemed “acceptable” is often no more than a matter of fashion.

I do not understand the motivation behind trolling, other than a desire to gain some small control over another, in the way of an emotional reaction. Default reactive types perceive aggression when there may be none, and free thinkers unaccustomed to a constrained platform may not even be aware of how sensitive and thin-skinned the platform is, or has become.

If I perceive someone intentionally trying to create discord, it usually only elicits pity from me, because the person may have some self-esteem and confidence issues. Either way, there are ways of eventually snuffing out and silencing a hot mess, sometimes it’s with facts, but unfortunately that’s rare in an increasingly intolerant world.

I grew up with a family that encouraged open discussion and we let it all hang out, but afterwards everyone hugged and went back to normal. Now, if you don’t like what someone else does, depending on your status, you could easily be accused of trolling, or even excommunicado.
“Wizard level trolling” hah, that’s awesome

skunqesh

Tele-Afflicted
Shoot. I know sometimes I spout off, and have had a couple inauspicious posts judiciously removed by the mods.
That said - I've deleted more would-be posts, than actual posts - cuz at the end of the day, this forum is really cool, and full of so many helpful and interesting people I'd hate to ingratiate myself.

unles... they're all just robots and this is the West World of telecaster forums? 🤖🤖👾👾

Doctor of Teleocity
“Wizard level trolling” hah, that’s awesome
678C72DD-92E3-4641-8A8A-6BDE506DBECE.jpeg

The phrase has been around for a while, here’s an earlier example. I thought it was a funny phrase, and this thread reminded me of it.

Area51

Tele-Holic
Are there more trolls here these days? Or am I just noticing them more? Or am I becoming less tolerant? I guess this question is mostly for people who have been at TDPRI for a long time. It just seems like there are far more rude comments nowadays, and people looking to be argumentative. I have even resorted to blocking a few users, which I never did before. I don't come here to fight with people, and honestly that is the last thing on earth I have any interest in doing. I come here to talk about music and guitars, and hear what people have to say, and learn what I can, and maybe have a laugh or two. It doesn't take much trollism to turn me off.
Agree 100%. I don't get it. If I have nothing to add to a thread, or it just isn't a subject I care about, I just don't post. Why just post to be an A-hole? Similarly, if I have nothing to add to a thread I don't. And finally, we're a diverse crowd and it's OK not to like every thread. But be mature enough to let the people who are enjoying the thread have fun with it.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I simply Ignore them.

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
Well I freely confess having written lots of silly garbage and having sometimes gotten into arguments with folks myself, but none of that has ever been out of spite. So I apologize if I've offended anyone with my stupid drivel!

Last edited: