More than meat shortages.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Missoula, Montana has quite a successful bus transit system (Mountain Line) that one of my step-daughters and her husband uses almost daily. It is developed through a partnership with a couple of urban organizations and the University and is in the transitions from using bio-fuels to electric. It seems like the younger generations are making a fundamental change from using cars to mass transit for a variety of reasons. People like @imwjl are seeking long term urban solutions and I suspect are more optimistic from what they see evolving in people’s habits. The Missoula model thrives on partnerships that create win-win-win scenarios for the community. A very progressive city in the midst of a rather conservative predominantly rural state, so it stands out for the general public to observe these experiments and successes.

Imwji in courageously involved in a more passive movement compared with the “green” war-like movement that I was involved in during the 1980s. My pessimism stems primarily from watching the atmospheric clock ticking away over the last 50 years.

getbent and imwjl like this.
  2. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

Good points on the partnerships.

Some of the changes in this area labeled green or worse came from the demands of very conservative employers who are not dumb and don't in their action go with tribal or parochial behavior. They are part of the expectations or demands that got a Wall St. firm to relocate they HQ and some important employers to expand and stay. I've had threads here about amazing things one of my bosses does for families in trouble or struggle.* It made him sensitive wanting the bus rapid transit lines by the stores. In other posts I mentioned a health care provider is who built the manure digesters to partially power their clinics. He has two selfish reasons for liking this stuff - business and helping people.

The local food effort has been a game changer for some farmers. To me it's neater than I'm sure quality at Whole Foods also expensive. It's almost always good and you can even see some of the producers in the stores.

What I don't think @Toto'sDad got asking me how much profit the buses will make is they are really just one of many components including subsidizing municipal golf courses, swimming pools, libraries, the music stages in parks, sewers and more that contribute to an area with a strong record for creating prosperity and quality of life.

Some do get out of their bubbles. I did when I finished college, and had the privilege to work for and with some great people. Where my sports posse is the volunteer trail steward group, last year a machine operator who was working on a drainage and road project for 2+ months finally came and talked to us. He admitted he didn't know why he hated the town and us because we seemed alright, normal people, and he realized his whole making a living summer of 2020 was working on stuff he thought he hated for people he thought he hated. The poor guy was so conditioned by tribal behavior that it was sad. All we did was be respectful of their work space, wave fairly often, and maybe people shared a beer end of day.

*It was no surprise that same boss who took 5 homeless families into one of our stores on Christmas was behind the scenes for first day of school at a middle school yesterday. With some other great people and Boys & Girls Club they made sure a bunch of kids got to walk into that first day with same level stuff more well off kids had, cheering them, and wishing them the best.

Obsessed likes this.
  3. imwjl

In the past two weeks our stores have had challenges with our smaller meat suppliers as well as big ones, and while toilet paper is on the shelves, not so much for flushable wipes. With near 1000 employees we're feeling some of what our food plants are feeling. Things get messed up really fast if you have a few people missing from some departments.

This from a friend was mighty funny re shortages. Where I work it's been a good while already since who's hired changed. All that no more no more pre-employment psych and drug did was cut turnover and get us some fine workers. Still, food and the company standards don't allow complete slobs.

[​IMG]

Telekarster and BigDaddyLH like this.
  4. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Don't forget to put a little can or two of diced green chiles in the bean pot. Either way, that's good eating and cheap too.

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

quoted for truth.

We have a bumper crop of jalapenos... the smell of them all cooking is among my favorite smells in the world.

6. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

There's something comforting to me about a pot of beans, of any variation, on the stove, or in any kind of modern electric pot.

I suppose it goes back generations for some of us.

I remember once during a rare NE Texas ice storm, my grandparents were without power for days. I managed to drive out to their place to check on them, and they had a huge cast iron pot of pintos with a ham hock on their wood fireplace insert.

You can bet I stayed long enough to dine with them.

getbent and fjblair like this.
  7. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Afflicted

A pack of center cut bacon is $10.

Two years ago it was $5-$6.

WTF.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  8. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

Shampoo is one thing I'll never have to worry about again...:D

This is concerning though...'Record backlog of cargo ships at California ports'

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58643717

[​IMG]

carpenter likes this.
  9. imwjl

That's a category that really depends on freight, work places struggling to keep staffed, and pockets of expertise through all of it. It's all aggravated by the keeping staffed issues worse in some areas. We buy that from the big brands and small local firms. Both have similar problems.

For freight, I mentioned in other posts how we've had huge short-term costs just to get doubled up truck loads because of the shortage of trailers that split a frozen and refrigerated load. I was in the room when the CFO chose the painful cost that has to be passed on over the risk of food we could not sell or not having food to sell.

It's getting where we can assess, plan and calculate for a lot of our challenges to get peoples' food just by watching some maps and charts.

The freight problems aren't just ports brought up a lot. We have stuff stuck in rail yards and there are trucking companies struggling to keep staffed.

fjblair likes this.
  10. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just opened a 10.5 oz. package of coffee. I had only recently adjusted myself to the idea that a pound of coffee weighs 12 ounces now.

:mad:

fjblair likes this.
  11. imwjl

Yes, our weekly price change (ad plan) cycle and pricing item maintenance routines have had lots of new tags and aisle resets just from changing package sizing.

Enough time with enough fewer items available has passed where we just did one complete store reset making more space between aisles. I won't be surprised if we do that in another store with about same overall space.

12. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Take a tip from Martin Renfield:

[​IMG]

13. imwjl

I just overheard our poor deliveries manager over all stores take a rant for our failing to deliver exactly 138 bottles of caffeine free diet Pepsi as he has ordered for years including his rage at others who would never do that for him and won't do it now that we've failed him.

I'm afraid to know why he must have exactly 136 bottles in his orders, and am afraid he didn't hear that Pepsi is picking other fights right now. The dude must have hi 138 2 L bottles at once or he wants none of it. A TDPRI member?

Here's a small blessing in disguise. Some of our local farm and food business suppliers are delivering. I know it's more expensive but we are selling more food and beverages that don't travel more than 300 miles from source to store. It's expensive but beef from an area farmer's coop has been steady. I smile when I see an Amish or very small farmer's hand written packing slip that drives the accounting dept crazy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.