More Snake Oil?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by xtrajerry, Dec 30, 2015.

1. timmer114

timmer114 Tele-Holic

So they are basically saying that years and years of play on a..say 52 Blackguard actually changes the molecular structure of the metal in an ashtray bridge..and they can replicate that with their "ancient metal working technique"

Wow, what's next? Cryo treated vacuum tubes and hand selected paper in oil capacitors?

2. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Well, to go along with such a fine bridge, I would like, for a limited time, to offer you my Faery Magick tele bridge pickup.

It truly does it all, friends. Twang when you want, thump when you want. Believe it or not, it even SPRONKS!! Automatically senses the style of music you are about to play and adjusts like.........well, like magic!

Made from only the finest:

A custom, hand crafted bobbin made from hardened Unicorn dung(Yes folks, even their **** is magical).

A coil wound from a single strand of Rapunzel's hair.

Magnetic rods made of the purest, pressed moondust.

And last, a hand forged baseplate of fine Damascus steel, drawn and hammered on the forge of Hephaestus himself!

Get yours while supplies last. As you can imagine, supplies are extremely limited and the formula a prized Alchemical secret, handed down by my cousin's sister's brother.

3. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Ronkirn and boris bubbanov have spoken! Seriously though 2 opinions I highly trust. xtrajerry is also on that list ,but he is the op of this thread. There are others as well :) I'm a sucker for the Fender Pat. Pending bridge plates though I know some dislike them.

4. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

Man, if you want more sustain, wiggle your fretting finger or stand closer to the amp. Shake your whammy bar if you've got one. Maybe get a heavier guitar, or a hollow body, as long as you're playing a note that is consonant with the last one you played, or with your open strings. Don't forget to play in a room that reinforces certain frequencies, turn up the PA, ask other players near you to turn up, use this or that distortion and/or compression pedal, and... and...

But sustain is not always a good thing, and pitch-specific resonance is good even less often! Unless you transpose every song to the keys your instrument "likes" best, of course.

5. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Anyone want to buy a prefabricated posthole?

6. bchaffin72

Sure, I'll swap you a Faery Magick and even throw in a pick made of Chimera tooth. :)

7. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

They're still telling us that guitars need to breath.. not surprised that they endorse these plates. AFAIK they aren't selling any subscriptions these days so I guess they'll pimp anything that brings in the $$$.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep.

Now, will the aged plates prove superior? I have no idea. But as I may have said similarly yesterday on the forum somewhere, after watching that vid, at least they're keeping to the thin, stamped steel plate (I think they are). I don't like the trade off using a heavy machined plate in an attempt to increase sustain.

9. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

I understand what you're saying, and don't disagree.

But they're talking about ringing and showing them ringing when hit by a screwdriver while hanging in the air.

Ok. We can tell which one rings more in that situation.

That doesn't tell me squat about what it'll be like on a Tele.

It may indeed vibrate more. It may not. They're not showing it either way.And they're obviously not showing that more or less vibration is inherently good.

10. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Was it dug with the "ancient process"?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  11. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Of course, and it comes with a free gravity driven post driver for the first 10 mugs, sorry, purchasers. Please specify whether you want a right handed driver or a left handed one.

12. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

I found the secret ... they use Calgon. :twisted:

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

What a total load of horse crap.

Personally I think most of the aftermarket products are overrated. Perhaps there are nuances to the finely trained ear but I tend to doubt it. Few folks play electric guitar as a solo act. How anyone can hear the subtle differences when the guitar is sitting in the mix is hard to imagine.

Given that differences in plate thickness and materials can contribute to a discernible tone alterations, how much can it really be.

Again, people chase pickups, pedals and aftermarket hardware at great cost and religious fervor but to what end?

14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Yep.. for me, its gotten to the point that when I read/hear a promo saying something to the effect, "produces better tone, superior sound," or anything similar.. it's pretty much over.... If it's "pretty" . . cool.. that's easy to promote... but if it's just a rehash of someone else's vintage whatever... nope... I'm not convinced.. whatever it can do to the existing sound is only a change..that can go either way up or down... it's YOU that make that call, not some metallurgy engineer in a metal foundry.

When some manufacturer says. "Our whatever makes your guitar sound better", that is a declaration that they know what YOUR gear should sound like and they can make the determination for every guitar player on the planet...

I get guys calling/emailing all the time with gizmos they want me to promote.. when they get to the "improves tone" part of their sales pitch, I always ask, how did ya validate that in a non prejudiced manner... well.. the "dead air" on the other end of the line screams BS.... 'cause they didn't .. probably don't even know what the concept means...

bottom line is this.. how "your" gear sounds is pretty much a fashion statement for Your eyes/ears only, because if you can play no one in the audience cares if your bridge plate is internally aged or not... the quality of the performance completely occludes any subtitles the gear can introduce... and if you cannot play. then no one cares about anything except the noise you're making.. No one ever walks up to a poor guitarist ans says, Man.. you're just plain terrible, but your tone is stunning... no one.. ever..

Ron Kirn

15. bchaffin72

All this **** to sound better, or to be vintage, to be like the greats, etc. Except when the great players of old made their names, their stuff wasn't vintage then, was it?

I pretty much feel the same way about signature guitars IF one is buying for the wrong reasons. If you buy a Clapton because you like the feel and features, and it's a good guitar for you, fine. That's the right reason. If you buy one to try to be Eric, well, it'll fail anyway, but he had no signature strat or "internally aged" parts etc. when he started making his name as a strat player in the 70s. Blackie wasn't even a top of the line, current Stratocaster. It was a partscaster!

I think what that does is get people to spend a lot of money on crap and unsubstantiated claims and then swear they hear a difference because, after laying down all that cash, they are desparate to hear it, otherwise, what did they spend the money for. Marketing is all about playing on people's psycology more than anything.

16. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

This might be a question to ask the folks @ Zildjian

They know lots about bringing out the ring properties of metal(s)

Perhaps if a Tele bridge were made of Zildjian bronze ?

Gary

17. 58Bassman

58Bassman TDPRI Member

If someone can screw this to the body of a Tele and make it ring, I hope they post a video because that's not possible. The only area that's free to vibrate are the raised sides and they're too small to do any good for the sound.

18. Redline Redneck

Redline Redneck Tele-Meister

Tone Metal! Internally aged to perfection, because tone matters.

Next stop, Tone Screws with magical threads.

19. bchaffin72

I got those already. The dulcet tones of a horny angel! ;)

20. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

tone magic

The magical threads are reverse-wound, and if you're really serious, of course you're after the _old-growth_ tone metal.

Peace - Deeve

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.