More Small Pedals - A Small Delay

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I mentioned in another thread that I ordered some boards from Delyk, starting with a through-hole PT2399 delay 1590A size build similar to a Deep Blue.

I've been building 1590A's as a bit of a challenge, the opposite of what I was doing last year with big complicated circuits like the Aion Lab L5 Preamp and their Blueshift, an awesome chorus. After those, I figured I'd build something smaller and simpler like 1590A's. Perfect for a Rangemaster, but the more complicated the circuit, the harder it is to fit in the box!

This delay board from Delyk should fit, but I've found clearance is really close when socketing chips. I ended up socketing the opamps on my mini-Klone, only because I was troubleshooting and out of extra TL072s. I figured out later it was my wiring goof on the pot sub board. No sub board for the pots in this case, but I am using Vero like Madbean describes in his building small pedals guide to connect the wiring. It will be a tight fit, hopefully not too tight.

Board in progress.jpg

I'll have some 1590LB sized boards next, I think he's the only one I've seen with PCB's for LB enclosures. I have a couple Henretta Engineering pedals, an Orange Squeezer and a clean boost so I think the size is cool for a mini pedal board. These boards I bought are for a Zen drive style overdrive and an SHO style boost, should be fun!

generic202

Tele-Meister
Looks fun. Tight builds are always a challege!

I've found clearance is really close when socketing chips
Personally, I would skip sockets on tight builds like this. I would also solder voltage regulators (regardless of space) to have rock solid connection to feed PT2399. Not sure if I see the benefit of socketing voltage regulators..

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
The only reason I socketed this build is because of the reputation of PT2399's to not always be reliable out of the box and it's my last one. I have socketed voltage doublers in A boxes before too, in case I have a noisy 7660.
Another reason, the regulators I have are cheapos I got on eBay awhile back and I don't 100% trust them, to the point where I picked up some more from a respected vendor. I may remove that socket because if there is any place on this build where it won't fit, it's there.

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
It is alive! Delyk "Mariana Trench" Delay, a Deep Blue delay circuit clone:

Mariana delay on no enclosure.jpg Mariana delay off no enclosure.jpg Mariana delay chip side no enclosure.jpg
With the low profile sockets, it just barely fits in the enclosure. I had to bend the leads over dead bug style on the 78L05 so it would fit, the leads are below the height of the adjacent chips.

Still too cold for making decals so no final assembly until I can make one, boxing and unboxing 1590A's isn't a lot of fun especially when everything is as tight as it is on this pedal!

I'm really looking forward to the challenge of building Delyk's 1590LB boards now, the front two are a Zendrive clone and a SHO mosfet boost, the back two are his Engineer's Thumb for 1590B and "Beta Genesis" treble boost for 1590A.
LB PCBs.jpg

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Boxed it, had a short. Unboxed, found the short and fixed it, back in the box to test with the bottom cover on and no problem. The knobs are too big though so I'll use some less snazzy ones. Mariana delay on no decal.jpg

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
pretty cool a delay can fit in an enclosure so small.

are there many knobs available in the size you’d need?
That's what I thought too, it was a challenge and fun!

Love My Switches has some small soft touch knobs like these that have a smaller skirt that I may pick up when I order some LB enclosures for the other Delyk boards. The ones in the pic are 16mm and 14mm would be much better. I don't think I need a lot of parts for those two other than the LB boxes, but they don't need knobs either :lol:

I just happened to make the decals yesterday and the weather was warm enough to at least clear them and apply. I won't be able to reassemble for a few days because the weather is getting wet and cold.
Box decal mariana delay.jpg

Here you can sorta see the wiring, it's a tight fit.
Delay decal circuit.jpg

Last edited:

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
As I'm waiting on some knobs to complete the little delay, more boards from Delyk came so I figured the best way to check inventory was to stuff 'em :twisted:
As I suspected, I was pretty low on 100nF film and 1uF MLCC caps, trimmers and of course I needed some potentiometers. Just as I was compiling a list I discover Small Bear is back, so I don't have to make multiple small orders from a bunch of vendors.

One LB build, a MOSFET boost (can build this multiple ways, including SHO, I went with Jack Orman's schematic), and a 1590B size 5-knob Engineer's Thumb. I have an A size treble booster and LB size Zen drive waiting plus a VFE Triumverate waiting for some Mouser parts.

You can tell I'm getting low on things, different type trimmers, a selection of different DIP sockets, out of full size 10uF caps but I've a few low profile on hand:

Delyk boards LB and Eng Thumb.jpg

LB enclosures should be here this week too :)

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
New knobs came, and I must have shifted the decal enough on application to partially cover the Delay label. So, I dug in my knobs collection and found these, they might be half a millimeter smaller than the soft touch.

Mariana Delay complete.jpg

The blue inserts actually look pretty cool though I don't know how visible they'd be on a dark stage. I could go with Davies 1900 but the pots are the knurled type. I could use brass sleeves but I've found that the ones I have don't work that great. That means I'll have to build another pedal to use the knobs :lol:

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I should probably start a new thread for this next Delyk PCB, but it was a lot of controls to shoehorn into a 1590B, their version of The Valve Wizard's Engineers Thumb (Conductor's Hand). I have a DeadEnd FX version of the circuit, but it's in a deeper version of a 1590BB (125BB? I don't remember...anyway) and I've been going small lately. When I saw Delyk had it as a much smaller footprint I figured why not, I have some LM13700's and I only needed one A1M pot.
It's a great compressor, with all the squish you want from a Dyna Comp, to very subtle. I fired it up yesterday and plugged in a Tele, the treble switch gives a Janglebox kind of feel, nice and twangy. I also tried using glossy white vinyl sticker sheets instead of waterslides and I may be a convert. No lacquer smell, waiting for days to cure, and don't have to worry about spraying clear outside. The main drawback is printing a lot of color ink and getting it matched pretty close.
Delyk Eng Thumb top guts.jpg Delyk Eng Thumb controls guts.jpg

vs. my previous build with waterslide:
Delyk Thumb and Delay.jpg

And what the heck, the DeadEnd FX Engineers Thumb for comparison (waterslide)

EngineerComplete.jpg EngineerGuts.jpg

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
glossy white vinyl sticker sheets?
do you have a brand and serial number for that so i can look that up?
I bought “Koala” brand glossy white vinyl sticker sheets on Amazon after a member of the Guitar Pedals group on Facebook posted about his experience. I think as long as it’s glossy and sticky back waterproof vinyl it should work. The fellow who posted is in the UK so he used a different brand than I did. Hope this helps!

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
id did help, found it to but it seems to be only for inkjets printers, so no go for me.
(weird that on ebay some sellers say it works with laser but the text on the picture states inkjet)

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
The Engineer's Thumb is a great compressor! Nice builds from your bench. I need to step up my game and start messing with waterslides.