1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

More robots please.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Mar 5, 2021.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

If you believe the press, both of those actually have happened. In any case, when you build a system reliant upon a software network, that network becomes a target. To say nothing of incompetence or corporate malfeasance to hide poor safety protocols.

Blind faith in anything is dangerous. And autonomous vehicles are only the most recent example of that. We can distinguish the difference between a small child and a row of shrubbery. Autonomous vehicles can't. That makes a big difference when children do what children do and carelessly run out in the street.

Telekarster likes this.
  2. JuneauMike

What!? You're saying that a piece of tech is less than perfect? Heresy!

Peegoo likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I do agree with the concerns about autonomous vehicles, but more due to using cities as experimental testing labs, and also due to corporate race to be first causing unethical business actions.

There was a lot of crazy stuff in that behind the scenes business progression, where fighting over who owned which idea and who could become the "band aid brand" was a driving force that seemed to me to push safety aside in favor of profit.

But as far as the fear that automatic braking is the same as autonomous cars capable of automatic accelerating and steering?
    The tech involved in automatic braking cannot take you to a destination you didn't choose, or force you to hit a pedestrian.

I do agree we might be wary of idiot drivers assuming they don't need to pay attention since the car takes care of that for them.
    But mixed in with the fringe agenda proposing that self braking tech hides a secret agenda to take away our freedom?
    That doesn't compute in terms of the hardware tech.
    If automatic braking adds systems to take away driver control, and drive us to (or away from) some sinister secret destination, that will have clear physical evidence, as the black box needs other mechanical linkages to accelerate and steer.

When blogger agendas tell us to fear all new tech, we might consider the source of urging our tech fear is as sinister as it claims the actual tech to be.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

You are wasting valuable time .
    In this particular situation , I believe that you would enjoy better success by talking a Polar Bear sow into handing her young cubs to you with no argument .
    Tech is faith to some and that is how it is .

JuneauMike likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Good point.

Some worriers though are only "watching" each other worry, and warning the masses that their fantasy fears are actually happening.
    Promoting fear also takes away the freedom of the individuals who become convinced that their fears are reality, and actual reality is not happening.
    And takes away all our freedom to work through realistic problems toward realistic solutions, by putting relistic discussion into a mire of confusion.

When fears are repeated but there is no actual identifiable evidence of those fears existing in reality, one needs to be vigilant in rejecting false alternate realities that gain the appearance of legitimacy simply by repetition. And rob us of our collective reasoning.

6. JuneauMike

Yep, for sure. We humans are born to worship. We should think very carefully about what we chose to worship.

7. JuneauMike

Hmm. Yeah, that's just discernment, and we all have to master that on our own. But the people preaching fear aren't any worse then those who lull themselves into believing that if it sounds preposterous then it must be false. If we believe that our moral and cultural superiors want the best for us then we can easily close ourselves off to anything that undermines that premise.

But truth is a sticky thing, it eventually comes out. It's usually less exciting then promised, but it always eventually reveals itself.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Well said.

Change is inevitable, and humans are quite resistant to it...so they fantasize about how the future will be. Even in the abpsence--and presence--of facts to the contrary, The Teeming Millions will fabricate their own realities.

telemnemonics and imwjl like this.
  9. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Well, I just went to The Gear Page, and they said my "ip address has been banned". What does that even mean? My last post there was just sharing my Leslie settings from my MD500 with a guy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.