1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

More robots please.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Mar 5, 2021.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Well we often like to see our adversaries in one dimensional views. Such as your friend with "extreme" views on guns and libertarian practices. Some willingly see a forest as a delicate ecosystem that should not be tampered but and don't see a community in the same way.

And I am as guilty as anyone else of this.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Traffic accidents are the fifth largest cause of death on planet earth. Every 30 seconds someone dies in an auto crash. Young people die at the highest rates. More than 1.25 million people die a year from car wrecks.

Those are facts.

How are the effects of driving not a health problem? What data even remotely suggests that the average person is a good driver?

https://www.psychologicalscience.or...ple-think-their-skills-are-above-average.html

PacificChris and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. JuneauMike

In 1922 the 5th leading cause of death was nephritis. The number 1 cause of death back then was heart disease, which has remained the case ever since. Death due to accidents have always been a leader in this statistic. Even in the 30s auto accidents began appearing on the list, they were still eclipsed by "other" accidents. Whenever machinery is employed as a solution, there is opportunities for injuries. Robots will not change that.

But the fact is, accidents vs. miles driven (or hours operating if you prefer) will show that driving a car is, by and large a safe exercise. And it is so because by and large drivers are adequately trained to operate their cars safely, which cuts against the trope that everyone else sucks at driving (but not me, of course).

If you come from the school that a single death is one too many, then no matter how low the statistics you will still believe that the sky is falling. Or that our roads are deathtraps. As fun as it can be to spread panic, or generally try to convince others that there is some aggregious problem that demands our attention (and resources) we all seem to drive everywhere with a limited level of trepidation. You, of course are free to sell your car and walk everywhere. But I suspect you also believe, through your actions, that driving is still a safe endeavor.

4. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I love all those things, but not the driving of the people who would use them. The culture of driving took a wrong turn a long time ago. Taking away airbags and automatics, sadly, won't fix it. Real drivers' education could, but we have trouble getting regular education here. So bring the robots because people are terrible at this.

Personally, I intend to continue using two wheels until I'm dead, and I plan to keep the wife's car manual transmission as long as she's still cool with it, or until we're driving electric.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

In Bakersfield if you're out walking, you'd better keep an eye out for what's going on in the streets around you. When we take our walk, we dodge bicyclists, (on the sidewalk?) rollerbladers, skaters, skateboarders and huffing and puffing joggers all wearing ear buds. We also keep a wary eye on the cars pulling out in front of other cars at intersections, and keep a plan in mind to dodge if the puller outter don't make it.

JuneauMike likes this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

AC/DC had a song about that in 1980:

She was a fax machine
    She kepper motor clean
    She was the bezzzdam woman
    That I ever seen

7. getbent

1.25m deaths is not 'one death is too many'.

I can't even imagine any sane person 'enjoying spreading panic'... or even using the phrase.

There are many many things that can be done to make our highways safer than they currently are and to not strive to improve that would be wasteful. The seatbelt law was controversial when it was proposed (nearly shut down the government over it.) But, it has proven its value. Airbags, same thing... lobbied hard against by the same folks. They have proven their worth.

We use the best and safest tools we have at the time. That doesn't mean we don't continue to improve and do better. To do otherwise is regressive and not 'the pioneer spirit'.

imwjl likes this.
  8. getbent

Thatta babe!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Where is that face palm emogie when you need it ?

10. otterhound

If you don't have a computer , how do you access an internet forum ?

11. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Did you know that there is a planet in our solar system inhabited solely by robots?? Mars

imwjl and blowtorch like this.
  12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

he's got a magic phone

13. otterhound

Did it sprout from a magic bean pole ?

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

not bean, Apple

15. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

If they ever build roads for flying cars, I hope they make them wider than they think they need to.

I’m working on my Jack Handey.

JuneauMike likes this.
  16. JuneauMike

You are a master of irony. Well played. :lol::lol:

17. otterhound

Hey , I like Apples . In fact , I just pulled a container of homemade Smokehouse applesauce from the freezer earlier this evening .

18. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics

First Law
    A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    Second Law
    A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    Third Law
    A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

JuneauMike likes this.
  19. JuneauMike

Siri, what is a drone strike?

meric likes this.
  20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

these robots probably got kicked off the gibson forum for their spirited defense of the robot tuners.:rolleyes:

and come here to browse the CNC posts........:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.