1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

More robots please.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Mar 5, 2021.

1. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Since statistics are apparently frowned upon nowadays, perhaps only the insurance companies know the truth.

imwjl and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I'll give you my CJ-7 from my cold, dead hands. I think I'll put in a manual choke on the carb after reading this thread. IMG_2800.JPG

4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Very simple . Allow me to design the testing required to obtain a drivers license and then let others take notes . I live in Pa . The most difficult thing required in a driving test to qualify for a drivers license is parallel parking . Parallel parking has nothing to do with properly operating an automobile on a road anywhere in the world . The testing is currently designed to be an easy pass when if should be the exact opposite .
    Yes , there will be fewer licensed drivers and the roads will be safer .
    I suggest that you stop trying to apply statistics to reality . They rarely show an accurate picture because statistics can be manipulated .
    An extreme example as follows ; Statistics show that violently taking another human life is a pleasurable experience . This statistic can be honestly arrived at if you used serial killers as your sample .
    AI is no better than the human/s that design it and we are flawed .
    The simple truth is that 126 years have not been dedicated to creating competent drivers on our highways . They have been dedicated to creating drivers .

SRHmusic likes this.
  5. otterhound

Now place them on wet , snow covered or icy roads . Luck can run out at any moment .

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I believe I referenced my niece who does really bad accident litigation. The insurance companies know, and the motor vehicle makers know.

We've had the black box technology that produces speed, motion, braking and accelerator for a long time. Lots of cars with cameras and radar built in have been shipping for almost 10 years. Cameras at intersections are more and more along with law enforcement having more.

Again, your models and ideas are well-intended but impractical if not flawed. The results from the robots' good start - time span and units shipped - are what motivated the whole industry to take it farther. That includes accepting costs, engineering and for right now some supply challenges.

What you want also points out another aspect that I joke and tease as freedumb. Often the same people crying for some sort of control cry just as loud and worse from being subject to controls.

I think you're on the wrong track with our states having parallel parking czars. Not just that 126 years of failure re education and enforcement I mentioned but a whole lot of cars already do the parking automatically.

7. imwjl

Sometimes I can't help myself. My apologies to those who already waste too much bandwidth and disc space and don't know about Regular Cars.

Confession. The video's not really us but my wife and kids have pretty much taken the AWD German sports wagon with stick shift and left me with the Sienna SE that she used to consider hers and hands off.

I smile all the time. The suspension, wheel and interior differences are really sweet. Just shy of 300 HP, tow capacity, epic road trip machine and very little it won't swallow on a trip to the farmer's coop or hardware store.

1955 likes this.
  8. otterhound

One thing can be guaranteed .
    If automobiles become universally self driving then the driving skills of most people will diminish rapidly which will lead to more reliance on self driving automobiles .
    From my personal viewpoint , I would rather have a computer rely on me than have me rely on a computer .
    I will always prefer the random access gray matter program .

9. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I look forward to having big tech companies like Google and Facebook have complete control of my car...

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

There is no truer example of the axiom if something can go wrong, it will go wrong, than in the world of trucking. When we moved from having experienced drivers on the road in the 70s to cranking out truck drivers in driving schools manned by people who did not know how to drive a truck themselves the wrecks were spectacular. Progress I guess. During the 90s certain agreements put truck drivers on our roads in California that should not have been allowed to push a wheelbarrow unsupervised. The wrecks were even more stupendous! Progress waits for no man though, and the will to change cannot be broken, I await the new SPECTACULAR in truck and automobile wrecks brought to you in the name of progress.

SRHmusic likes this.
  11. otterhound

It would be interesting to see how a self driving car would handle the Millersburg Ferry . I have never done this , but I am told that GPS gets a bit edgy if you use it on the Ferry in the middle of the Susquehanna . How would the Iowa farmer that has a 1 1/2 mile long lane get his self driving car home the first time ?

12. imwjl

I'm not worried about that. Consider all the jobs that have disappeared yet we're in a world that mostly keeps improving. On grey matter, you have to use that more than ever.

I do well without a computer too. Thing is, I was a blue collar guy but I embraced change when industry changed. When I see people I used to work with who didn't do that in most cases they're with unfortunate physical, mental and financial health issues from not moving along with the rest of the world. I shudder to think what my state of well-being would be if I remained the reactionary and stubborn person I once was.

tattypicker likes this.
  13. otterhound

This is what you miss . Moving about freely is not a job . I doubt that you will understand this . As long as you are happy , who am I ?

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

15. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Let's be clear and not lose perspective. Most people who drive are good drivers, and pretty much everyone with a license aren't dangerous drivers. Even the most reckless or irresponsible driver eventually gets swept up in the enforcement side or flushed by the economic of it (insurance, missed work, medical). For millions od drivers who drive billions of miles a day, our roads are very safe. It is not a demolition derby out there. It's not a blood bath.

tattypicker likes this.
  16. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/in-the-age-of-ai/

A two-hour program from PBS / FRONTLINE - November 2019
    viewable online via the above link & via other PBS streaming outlets.
    FpbsAI.png
    “FRONTLINE investigates the promise and perils of artificial intelligence, from fears about work and privacy to rivalry between the U.S. and China. The documentary traces a new industrial revolution that will reshape and disrupt our lives, our jobs and our world, and allow the emergence of the surveillance society.” - FRONTLINE / PBS

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  17. imwjl

Locally, not usually a bloodbath but accidents remain a significant public health problem. Liability is a problem we all pay for. I'm certain that fueled or fuels what the auto industry did and the insurance and health care interests being with them for AEB.

You might be right about a reckless driver eventually being swept up or flushed out but in our horrible example, it was after a jerk driver killed a family member. As said, systems same as or like what two of our cars have wouldn't have allowed it to happen.

I didn't chat with my nephew today but his Sundays are almost always unwinding from what occurs at a level 1 trauma center and even with his pretty extreme gun and libertarian ways agrees he's always dealing with matters that can only be fixed at a systemic level. He knows and says the personal responsibility think pointing out how many can't be responsible. That seems to strengthen with his time past school and residency. What he faces on the team that does most difficult surgeries is usually connected to obesity, car accidents and people making poor choices with guns.

18. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

No, they are not a significant public health problem. They are a significant metric to track. And we with our luxurious FWPs can ascribe whatever seriousness to the metric as we artificially ascribe.

It is staggering the level of danger that is managed by driving competency. A driver has pretty awesome amount of speed amd power to control on a daily basis, just raw destructive power, and the mishap rate is remarkably low. If the accident rate mirrored the Space Shuttle program, then we'd have a serious problem. But for lane miles driven, our accident rates are, relatively speaking, quite low. So low that we are lulled into a very comfortable attitude about driving anywhere in nearly any season.

In terms of your personal experiences with human drivers, its good to remember that a recession is often defined as when your neighbor looses his job and a depression is when you lose your job. An EMT can let their daily workload form their opinion on what ails a community, but it often lacks enough distance for a more accurate view of what's really going on in the streets. Robot cars have struck pedestrians. But its difficult to get your pound of flesh out of something as unfeeling as some lines of code.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  19. imwjl

That reply surprises be because you're usually espousing what seems liberation, dog eat dog and life's tough mode.

If I sound harsh on that sort of topic it's because what I did had a total shift and industry disappeared including a business we owned in the 1980s. I re-educated myself and actually did that a few times. There's no salvation if you don't have a skill where the world will pay a living wage.

One thing that keeps me hopeful is we've had lots of changes like those truck drivers will see. Most of us are no longer farmers, no more ice carriers in my town, same for switch board operators, the train station over the hill is empty except for the tourism department - probably many jobs I can think of.

The news on basic universal income interests me because some small scale trials seemed more promising than all sorts of other aid programs we (homo sapiens) do. I don't have good answers on sustaining jobs that no longer make sense but for your "spending" point, universal income might be a lot more efficient than all manner of programs now. Something like we all agree on public goods.

I'm not hopeful on what @otterhound is always espousing - the teach everyone - because just being average doesn't mean someone's 1/2 way smart.

We've always moved on with technological advancements and often with less planning and thought than now.

20. imwjl

I've got availability heuristic and gap minder stuff in mind. Unintentional injury where car accidents are a lot if not most is just a fact. The auto industry at AEB to start with more advances coming are aiming at a top public health problem with huge monetary and mental costs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.