1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

More robots please.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Got it, I'm halfway kidding. I have Y rated tires for a reason. Not a legal reason. There's no speed limit in west Texas. At least not when I'm driving.

And for what it's worth, my wife has a '21 Outback. Every time you back out of the driveway, every time, the brakes lock halfway into the street. Not kidding. We filmed it a few months ago and our dealer sent it to engineering. The processer sees an electrical stub with a meter on each side in the neighbor's yard. It identifies the shape as a human and locks the brakes. My wife isn't comfortable turning off the driver safety features so the only way to back out every day without giving yourself a heart attack is to put the car in neutral and roll down the grade before putting it in drive.

SRHmusic and JuneauMike like this.
  2. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

More complex automobiles are not the answer . Fixing the incompetent drivers is , even if that means taking them off of the highways .
    As to your Model A Ford . That car , if original , is equipped with a DC battery , 6V 3 brush Generator , a cutout and points . An EMP will not render it useless and it will even run on Kerosene if you know what you are doing . Of course , should the battery die , you can still bump start it before any solar storm or EMP ever happens or afterwards . Since the fuel is gravity fed , that is simple since there is no fuel pump to be concerned with .
    I must stress the need for less incompetent drivers . This alone , will actively do more to save human lives quickly that all the bells and whistles that silicon valley could ever imagine .
    As far as as your freedom thing being greater today than ever , I would ask you to know that we are more regulated than ever . Henry Ford went bankrupt 3 times before he made it . The Wild West was far more free . What we have today is more convenience . Woe to those that would equate freedom with convenience .
    As I was driving across the Great Basin with the windows down , I realized how warm it was . Every so often , a car/vehicle would pass by in the other lane with their windows up and most likely the AC cranking away . I began to wonder how they would react should that AC just up and quit then and there . I imagined that they would think it the end of the world as they rolled down the windows and felt the ambient air temperature .
    I began to realize how soft and coddled we have become because of convenience .
    100 years ago people walked across this area beside their Oxen pulled wagons in the same heat . They didn't know for sure if the water would be where it was expected or if they would be attacked , and we would cry about the loss of AC and it's convenience .
    They were free and we are held captive by modern convenience . Don't make the error of confusing the 2 , please .

SRHmusic and JuneauMike like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

so much for free markets and capitalism and truck drivers seeing the writing on the wall and, you know bootstrapping their way into a new job. I guess the teat of society will have to delay economic opportunity and advancement so they can nanny along the stragglers. I guess the reasonable conversation will happen when Dad says and all us kids who just live here will wait til the boss says we can do what we want.

Like Harrison Bergeron, lets wait til everyone is ready and then we can move forward, I guess, as what, a collective?

MarkieMark and imwjl like this.
  4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure I follow your point.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Maximum Overdrive was on the other night

just sayin

6. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I like the intro to the song playing in the first clip. I looked up the song, and it's cute, but mostly meh

blowtorch likes this.
  7. JuneauMike

They made three of these. Three!?

Ok, maybe robot cars aren't so bad afterall.

8. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    If you want your flying cars, you are going to have to accept some automation.

:)

imwjl and MarkieMark like this.
  9. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

This one knows too much...

10. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Easy. Just move to a third world country.... then u'd appreciate what u have!

JuneauMike likes this.
  11. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I'm fully appreciative of what I have. More than most, I'd say. Smart/AI/automation technology is not something that I appreciate in any context.

JuneauMike likes this.
  12. JuneauMike

I've been to California on vacation. It seemed nice.

You don't like it?

SheldonP and aging_rocker like this.
  13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The Subaru system seems to work well, at least in our Forester.

imwjl likes this.
  14. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

There are too many folks driving out there with no regard for life. Might as well go all in, let the robots do the traveling. Of course we’d have more staph-by-sofa, but maybe it’d be worth it.

Can’t convince the usefuls to play nice or be held accountable, and they’d rather be on their phone anyway.

Hot Pocket Drone for the win.

imwjl and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know if people are just slipping further into insanity, or it's some kind of game, or what, but the donuts on the blacktop are getting more frequent, as well as more flamboyant. I never see nor hear the noise it would surely make to do that kind of artwork, but I see their work on display. One of these nights, a car is going to end up wrong side up, it's going to happen.

1955 likes this.
  16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I thought Duryea brothers started US car sales in the 1890s so 2021 - 1895 = 126 years of failing to get all the drivers competent and bad ones off the road. How do you propose to change 126 years of education and trust failing to fix the problem? It's one of our bigger public health problems with engineering and AI already making improvements.

MarkieMark and PacificChris like this.
  17. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I don’t care if the security footage says they are all sedans, there is courage and pain inside minivans.

imwjl and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

It would take both skill and luck to produce the results I've seen in a minivan. Then again, YOU ARE 1955 and know things the rest of us don't. :)

1955 likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

I haven't looked it up, but I'm wondering how talking on the phone, and drunk driving compare for kills on the highway? I see people driving with their knees and doing two thumb typing going down the road IN TOWN where there's a car every six and a half inches most days. They either are very competent at what they do, or they are ALL extremely lucky. It's a skill I simply do not have. My mindedness in pretty onetrackedness.

1955 likes this.
  20. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I'll stay out of this..... my car is a '15, only "modern ****" is it has Vehicle Stability Control (which can be turned "part way" off, or totally disabled if you know Honda's hidden "trick") . backup camera....no touch screen, just knobs and buttons...no hybrid, just petrol...6 spd manual trans, no CVT.....about as old school as you can get in a modern car, and I'm gonna run it 'til it gives up the ghost. It's way more fun than it has a right to be!!!

imwjl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.