1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

more resistance equals more bass?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by speedy mcfeely, Aug 7, 2010.

1. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Holic

If you have two similar pickups, same materials (bobbins, mags etc.). One is wound to 9k and the other 13k. Will the 13k be more bassy?

2. MrDJoers

MrDJoers Tele-Holic

I hesitate to say this, but generally speaking yes.*

*Resistance readings are a poor way to tell what a pickup is going to sound like.

I'll let the real pickup aficionado's give you a better explanation.

3. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

Generally, yes.

Usually resistance is a stand in for the amount of wire, longer wire means a higher R. If there's more wire it must have more turns. More wire = more turns = more resistance. The real issue is that more turns = more inductance which is what is actually rolling off the highs.

4. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Tele-Holic

wire gauge has allot to do with your question wire gauge . bigger your wire the more bass & more treble also the way you wind can determine how bright & bassy it is... so if you were to use same wire . for both the mid range becomes more prominent the more you wind - like ronsonic said ..... but dont try to read a pickup by DC resistance .i have wound a 7.5k pickup that will blow a 10k pickup away . the 7.5 being louder . brighter & bassier

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.