1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

More recent TV shows that "jumped the shark"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by srblue5, Dec 3, 2020.

1. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

NCIS
    Law & Order

2. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Thats what happened to Community in my opinion. The first season had ridiculous moments but a lot of clever and subtle bits (at least in the first half of the season). Season 2 began requiring a lot of suspension of disbelief on my part, and the first few episodes of Season 3 were just insulting to my brain. Never watched after that, haven’t even gone back to revisit the good episodes of Season 1

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  3. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

The Simpsons when Moleman said "Kill me now". For me, that was just too much.

4. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I thought Friends jumped when Marcel the monkey left; think it was halfway through the first season.

DDickens likes this.
  5. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

great observation. i remember getting bored to tears by all the dream sequence episodes of the sopranos.

Ghostdriver likes this.
  6. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

Blacklist

VWAmTele likes this.
  7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It seems to me in general, most shows aren't good for more than 4-6 seasons. Around that time or shortly after, they just get stale or stupid.

electrichead likes this.
  8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Someone got a tattoo of every funny scene from Friends!

[​IMG]

9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

The last couple seasons of Game of Thrones for sure. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel had a great first season. It would be easier to name shows that never did jump the shark - Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Sopranos. Friday Night Lights, the best family-friendly show ever.
    Even The Wire went way downhill after they started focusing on school systems and the media.

bcorig and srblue5 like this.
  10. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

The Prisoner, Star Trek (orig), Justified, Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart, Mary Tyler Moore.

omahaaudio likes this.
  11. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The Rolling Stones, Allman Brothers, and a few other bands should have quit while they were ahead while we’re on the subject.

12. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Law & Order SVU for sure

13. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

“Jump the shark” doesn’t mean “started to suck.” It means “became ridiculous.” Some of you guys don’t seem to understand the difference.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  14. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

That 70's Show was so funny in its first few seasons. Someone above said it 'JTS' when they graduated high school, and that's a fair estimation. For me though, the producers even left an immediate visual cue to tell us "this episode sucks"... which is, any episode where Donna is blonde. If you see that, just tune out right away.

Community is one of my favorite shows ever, and while most hardcore Greendalians will tell you season 4 sucked, I still found good stuff there to watch. The Jump The Shark moment for me was when Troy rolled away on the 'Childish Tycoon', and off the show. Without Troy, Abed was a lost and lonely character and everyone's chemistry suffered after that.

And while it's not exactly a sitcom, Good Eats was a really great cooking show until Alton Brown showed up after a seasonal break having lost like 40 lbs. and extolling the virtues of acai berry smoothies. Good for him, but it's a real truism... you can't trust a skinny chef. He started hosting game shows after that. Sad.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Midnighttoil and ThermionicScott like this.
  15. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Agree S1-S5 Who are the best part of the US series. After that it just seemed like they did shows that were designed to display whatever talents the supporting actors had to see if they could get them jobs on other series once this one finally crashed. I truly wish the UK version had more than two seasons because that, for me, is true comedy gold.

16. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

I would say every TV show that has had a crossover episode with another show. TV universes should not meet in TV time as it alters the TV space-time continuum. I will watch the Grass Grow Show or the Paint Drying Extravaganza hour when they are made. :lol::lol::lol:

17. bcorig

After two seasons it was just watching slaughter. I’ll stop there, don’t wish to be banned again.

radiocaster likes this.
  18. bcorig

I agree with you, especially Mrs. Maisel. There was no where to go after S1.
    Listening to Talking Sopranos podcast has given me deeper insight into the characters and production of that show.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Dexter, after the season with John Lithgow (4?). It really became forced after that and the last season was damn near unwatchable.
    Star Trek: Discovery Season 3. That ain't Trek.

Midnighttoil likes this.
  20. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

Seinfeld lost a tiny bit of its edge when Larry David left, but it was still brilliant all the way to season 9. I think Jerry was wise then to call it quits while it was still good.
    Best sitcom of all time hands down.

Ghostdriver, electrichead and dlew919 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.