More Powerfull Deluxe Reverb Design?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by vikki, Jun 27, 2009.

1. vikki

vikki Tele-Meister

I had the chance to use a standard Deluxe Reverb a few weeks back and it sounded sweet, it seemed to run out of power though in a band situation. Is there a design / kit out there with higher power e.g. 4 off 6v6 valves in the output stage, just with 3 or 4 controls single channel, no reverb?
    Anyone know of anything/ideas?
    Vikki

2. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Go with a BF Pro, Super, or Vibrolux Reverb circuit. Bigger output transformer with two 6L6's.

You can lose a channel easily. But losing the Reverb circuit will reduce your warmth/gain
    . This is due to the design of BF's.

I built a one channel BF style with two 6L6's and it still has the warmth/singing quality of a BF, but it also has better bass and a bit more volume.

Removing one channel is simple. The Normal channel enters at V1's grid, exits through its plate to the plate fed tonestack, then goes into V1's second triode's grid. That plate is then fed directly to the PI at a 220k summing resistor (the other 220k is the Vibrato channel's PI input).

Therefore, you can easily lose V1 and that whole Normal channel and simple omit it's being fed to the PI.

As far as removing the reverb, you'll lose a bit of warmth/gain. A typical BF's Vibrato channel starts the same as the Normal channel - input to grid, plate's output to tonestack, then returned to the next triode's grid... this is where the reverb channel gets more gain though.

Instead of that plate feeding directly into the PI as per the Normal channel it is sent to another triode/gainstage.

Menawhile a sample of the plate was sent to the reverb circuit (12AT7 tube paralleled, reverb tranny, springs, etc). THEN both the dry and the reverb signal are able to be mixed together. The reverb signal is returned to V4's first triode, and both the wet and dry go to V4's second triode, then onto the PI - this 2nd triode of V4 results in more warmth and gain.

Basically, the 2nd triode of V4 is an additional tube gainstage the Vibrato channel has that the Normal channel doesn't.

So if you lose the reverb, you'll lose that natural gain/warmth of the Vibrato channel. I'd recommend dropping the Normal channel and leaving the Reverb circuit in for your build.

Essentially you'll be building a single channel BF Pro/Super/Vibrolux Reverb... which is exactly what I did (built mine as a head using a tiny VibroChamp repro chassis).

3. craigoslo

craigoslo Tele-Meister

If your question is not exclusive to a build project, how about buing a used deluxe reverb, and swaping the speaker with a high efficiency type or maybe an extention cab.

4. MeanGreenBlues

MeanGreenBlues Tele-Meister

I'd add a Vibroverb to that list. Not quite as beefy iron as a Super, but still 2 6L6s in there.

Weber also makes a high-powered Princeton Reverb kit. Basically a BFPR running 2 6L6s. You throw a 12" speaker at it, it should sound big.

5. vikki

vikki Tele-Meister

O.K. Great info......
    Just doing a bit of studying on the amps you suggested, will build something soon with the help of my dad whos an electronics engineer. I know its not the cheapest way to go, but what are those Mojo amp chassis like, i think we can get a bit of trade discount on em over here.
    Vikki:lol:

6. JohnnyCrash

Mojo? Good quality.

7. vikki

vikki Tele-Meister

OK thanks all.
    Vikki:lol:

8. Sterling Indigo

Sterling Indigo Friend of Leo's

I just love it when Johnny talks all dirty like that. :lol:

9. callaway

callaway Tele-Holic

How about Weber's 6A20HP kit? It's a Deluxe Reverb with the output stage (incl. transformer) modified to 6L6's. Pretty affordable too in the $600 range, including cabinet and speakers.

10. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Or how about getting a DRRI, swapping the OT for one from a Pro (not Pro Reverb), putting in some 6L6's and going with a SS rectifier. Add a really efficient speaker like an Emi Swamp Thang. That'll do the trick.

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

How about a Super Reverb in a 2x10 cabinet? (4 ohm Weber 10A125 & JD Newell Cabinet) Same size (almost) as a DR but 40 watts instead of 22... like a Vibrolux Reverb with the bigger SR iron.

The 2x10 BFSR is the amp that is closer and the DRRI is the second amp and you can see a full size 4x10 BFSR in the background. (dog likes amps)

[​IMG]

12. JohnnyCrash

Sick dude Mike!

A 2x10" Super sounds like a cool setup.

13. John Scott

John Scott TDPRI Member

(this coming from a former pro sound guy)

how about you just buy an SM57 and MIC the dang thing. if it sounds good dont modify...AMPLIFY!!!

I saw johnny highland sit in on the G3 tour a few years ago..

with a deluxe reverb next to vai and satch's stacks...

I heard every note!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.