1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

More on the VOX Mini Superbeetle

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LGOberean, Dec 10, 2020.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

@JKPickin started a thread on Tuesday about his New Mini Superbeetle Day.

Several others then chimed in about having or getting the amp. I’ve commented several times over the last two years that I want this amp. I don’t need it, but I want it.

Well, I don’t know if this thread will alleviate or exacerbate my GAS for this amp, but with the recent resurgence of interest in the VOX MSB, I’m posting some of my favorite videos about it.

They are by a YouTuber I’m subscribed to by the name of Rick Romanelli. I don't think he's a member here. He should be. He's a tele player, and a really good player, and a really nice guy. Never met him in person, so I'm not getting anything out of talking him up or posting his videos. I’ve subscribed to and interacted with him on his YT channel, and even on social media. And I think he merits more attention.

Here's the rundown on his gear in this vid: Paul Reed Smith S2 Starla, G&L ASAT Special (USA), Xotic SP Compressor, Electro Harmonics Soul Food, Xotic AC-RC OZ, Xotic EP Booster, MXR Carbon Copy, HOF Mini, Vox Mini Super Beetle

PRS SE Soapbar Maple II, TC Electronic Sub n up Mini, Digitech JamMan Solo, Vox Mini SuperBeetle

Oh, and this video has become a new December tradition for me. The MSB appeals to me so much because of the Pathfinder 15R, and this video not only features some sweet playing, but both of those VOX amps. PRS S2 Starla, G&L Legacy (USA), Xotic SP Compressor, Joyo Vintage Overdrive, Xotic AC RC OZ, Xotic EP Booster, MXR Carbon Copy, HOF Mini, Digitech Jamman Solo Looper, TC Electronic Flashback II, Vox Pathfinder 15 - Left Channel Vox Mini SuperBeetle - Right Channel

EDIT: Just barely got this posted before my wife called me to supper. I'll check back in later.

dswo, Chud and JKPickin like this.
  2. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

Wow, that December Serenade was beautiful. Thanks for posting these Larry.

LGOberean likes this.
  3. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Yes - totally agree. Thanks!

LGOberean likes this.
  4. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've had one for a couple of years now. It's a great little amp, especially if you want to have one unobtrusive somewhere for practice.

LGOberean and JKPickin like this.
  6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

You know you're playing things sweetly and not too loud when your cat decides to hang.

I think it sounded pretty atrocious with its gain turned up. But it seemed to take gain pedals OK. This always surprises me a little in this day and age. You would think that it would be easy enough to just put something like an analog DS1, 808, or Soul Food circuit into the amp itself to supply the gain....just put a well matched dirt pedal circuit inside the amp and call it the gain channel. Ibanez did that with a line of analog SS amps, IIRC.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Jakedog likes this.
  7. LGOberean

Three comments on the day that I left town to visit family. (Couldn't do a Christmas day visit, so we got together the week before.) I didn't check TDPRI the whole time I was gone, and got in last night. So I'm responding now.

@Michael A were you addressing me above as "Leo"? If so, I'm guessing that was a typo.

As for the version with the British Racing Green tolex, I don't personally like the color. I don't hate it, but I don't like it. I guess I should reserve judgment, since I've only seen it in pics. I've seen the original and Union Jack versions in store, but not the BRG one. But at the price Alto Music is selling it for, that has tempted me.

8. LGOberean

We have two cats and a dog, and many's the time that I've played plugged into one of my Pathfinder 15Rs and they've stayed put. "bedroom" levels, I guess you would say. At times, though, I turn it up, to what I've come to call "drive-the-critters-from-the-room" levels. :p

What you're saying about a Gain channel built sounds logical. For me, though, if I owned an MSB, I'd almost certainly run it like I do my 15Rs, getting gritty tones by using the Volume and Gain control knobs on the amp, and Volume on my teles.

9. Michael A.

Apologies, brain fade on my part! The LGO in your screen name put Leo in my head, and my dog's name is Leo, so it came out through my fingers.

LGOberean likes this.
  10. LGOberean

I by no means take being called "Leo" as an insult, especially not in this forum.

radiocaster and W.L.Weller like this.
  11. Michael A.

12. LGOberean

I'm very slow to buy gear. Generally speaking, I deliberate a long time before every purchase. That's just my nature. The few times I've bought something on impulse, it usually didn't stay in my collection that long.

But for the present, there's another reason why I'm holding off on pulling the trigger on an MSB, even apart from the fact that I don't need it. I've said this privately, but perhaps I should say it publicly.

I'm mainly not going to pull the trigger, at least not anytime soon, because of my wife. When I saw that throughout the Christmas season Sweetwater dropped the price of the MSB in its original tolex from $329 to $299, I told my wife about it. Her response? "I'm sorry." Which I took to mean "I know that's tempting for you, but please don't do it."

To put her response into perspective, I'm retired, and my SS check ain't that much. I would like to cover gear purchases with my gig money, but it would take me doing two gigs to have the $300. And I haven't been doing a lot of gigs. The best I've done in 2020 is one outdoor gig every 4-6 weeks.

My wife is not retired. She had been working herself out of the day-to-day, hands on duties of her business, working towards full retirement. But she just recently got notification of two staffers that will be leaving in the coming year, which puts more work on her. She's trying to find replacements, but as of now it's unclear how much or how long she'll have to get back into the full swing of things. So in that context, it would be inconsiderate of me to give in to GAS.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    JDRNoPro, ozcal, Pcs264 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

I suddenly want one of these, anybody want to talk me out of it? Please

14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Love these, every demo pulls me further into the hands of the GAS God's.

LGOberean likes this.
  15. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Yeah - cool little amp.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that more makers aren't using the nutube, but I guess I shouldn't be given that guitar players are so incredibly conservative regarding anything electronic that wasn't available pre-1960...

VWAmTele and LGOberean like this.
  16. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

It's the Day of the SuperBeetle!! :lol:

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 6.06.04 PM.png

LGOberean likes this.
  17. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

18. LGOberean

VOX has several series of modeling amps that have eleven amp voicings (well, ten + the LINE for acoustic/electric or keys), with modulation and delay effects, as well as other features such as user programs, varying from one model to another. The Cambridge50, Adio Air GT, VX, VTX, Mini, now the MINI GO all have a very similar control panel/features.

I briefly owned the Cambridge50. "Briefly" as in it went back after 2-3 days. Why? Well, ultimately, I just don't think modeling amps are for me. But beyond that, there were some things that were issues for me.

The Cambridge50's models had a noticeable levels of volume disparity between the amp voicings. Change an amp voicing, and you have to reconfigure Gain and Volume settings each time. Also, having to switch from panel to a user program in order to get a lead tone mid performance, and yet the volume settings might differ...I found that for me it was too much fiddling with knobs and tap dancing all while trying to play guitar and sing. I'm pretty much a set it/forget it kind of guy, so it was more than I wanted to commit to in a gigging amp. So it went back.

Modeling amps, even the VOX ones that might otherwise appeal to me, just don't work for me. I'm a simple guitar player; I need a simple amp. So the Mini Super Beetle and my Pathfinder 15Rs are more the ticket for me. But, hey, more power to ya if the MINI GO works for you.

19. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Michael A. likes this.
  20. Michael A.

I posted that almost 4 months ago, surprised the deal is still available!

Tim S likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.