1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

more low-end from a single coil?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by alange5, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I don't really have time for a sprawling argument. If you ever want to discuss finer points about pickups, such as the relationship between harmonics and magnetic proximity, I'm all for it. You share what you know, I share what I know. Maybe something productive can come out of it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Tele-Afflicted

You see? Perfectly logical with no human element, and assumes I am entirely at fault. Maybe you should resist the temptation to set up the circumstances for an argument? I don't think there has been anything sprawling about it up to this point. I was very specific about my complaints regarding your communication style. You don't seem to consider there is an actual human being on the other end of the discussion - - maybe twice your age. That's the problem with "kids these days". I was already in my 30's when the WWW really hit in the 90's.

If you have any information about the proximity/harmonics relationship, feel free to post it or a link, or whatever. I've already stated what I learned about it, and why/how the answer can be reasonably deduced. I never claimed to be an expert on the subject, so there's no reason to point out what little I actually know from my limited experience and research. That's not the point of this or any reasonable discussion, unless you revel in belittling others for some odd reason.

3. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

You see, I don't think communication style is a worthwhile complaint. Would you rather figure out how pickups work, or worry about the idiosyncrasies of some guy on the internet?

It looks to me like magnetic proximity has no effect the ratio between the harmonics and fundamental. Where the fundamental physically goes, so to does the harmonic motion of the string. Even if you widen the aperture of magnetism, let's say the pole piece and coil are wider, like with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound, and pickup sees maybe 50% more of the string, you get added harmonic pickup in the same proportion that you get more fundamental pickup. Never the less, it seems pretty clear that pickup height alters the output tone, apart from an increase in output voltage. Pretty much everyone reports that you get a different sound and or feel by altering the pickup heights, although opinions are all over the place when it comes to describing that difference.

IMO, this is interesting subject matter, this is something I'd like to get to the bottom of.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.