More Isbell Telecaster Custom Love - Video

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Andy Summers, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Ok, folks. I admit, I had no idea who Jason Isbell was before this guitar was announced. And I mean that. I'm not trying to be cool or edgy, or anything like that...LOL. I had never heard of him. If I did, it went in one ear and out the other. Because of that, I feel silly mentioning his name when I talk about this guitar, but damn, he and Fender sure did make a gem, so I don't feel THAT silly anymore. Plus...did I mention it's double bound?! I did check him out and while not my cup of tea musically, he seems to love his guitars. There is a good Rig Rundown with him on Youtube.

Anyway, after that useless information, this is guitar is sooooo freaking wonderful. Check out this video just to hear how nice it sounds. This will depend on how you're listening of course, but it sounds pretty nice on my phone, all things considered.

Seems most guys associate the Tele with the bridge pickup, I love it and need it for peeling the paint off the walls when I need to, but the neck pup has always been the heart and the soul of the Telecaster to me. Providing it's a pickup I like, of course. But this one...man...I have to admit, I teared up a little bit.

So yeah. Thank you Fender and Jason Isbell. Ya see, I didn't feel silly that time ;)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    Madhat007, Jakedog, Gkott78 and 3 others like this.
  2. Flaneur

Flaneur Poster Extraordinaire

I remember when I first starting reading TDPRI- and being bemused, by how little regarded the neck pickup often was. Yours sounds good, to me. :)

Andy Summers and Jensen like this.
  3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Cool vid. Hngd too.

Andy Summers likes this.
  4. Andy Summers

Thanks, Flaneur! And yeah, I never understood that, either.

5. Andy Summers

Thanks, Fendereedo!

6. IrishBread69

IrishBread69 Tele-Meister

I way prefer a Tele neck pickup to the bridge.

Sure the bridge is its own thing and nothing else can do it it. But the neck is a sweet beast in my opinion.

casey2910 and Andy Summers like this.
  7. Andy Summers

I couldn’t agree more, IrishBread69.

8. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I’m gonna give my bridge pup a lot more attention from now on………………………..

9. Andy Summers

Enjoy that.....................

10. Gkott78

Gkott78 TDPRI Member

From what I have read, it appears Isbell uses the Twisted Tele neck pickup in his actual guitar. More of Strat type neck pickup, and I believe they modeled these pickups after the CS Twisted Tele set. That being said, yes it does sound fantastic. The Isbell tele has serious mojo. Honestly these things are a steal if you really think about it. Nitro, double bound, pickups based on CS twisted Tele... it's a GREAT guitar. I love the feel of the road worn neck . I've had mine for about 2 months I think, and play it every day.

Also to the original poster... don't feel bad... I was not aware of Jason Isbell before I saw the specs on his signature model. Actually it was Mick from that Pedal show on youtube that did a VLOG about this guitar. I watched that video and clicked buy on Fender's website without even playing it in person.

Andy Summers likes this.
  11. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I generally dislike traditional Tele neck pickups because they’re generally too dark and muddy for me, but that one sounds good enough in the video that I’d definitely give it a fair chance.

And while we’re sharing opinions, I think Jason Isbell is one of the best songwriters out there doing it today. Just freakin’ great.

12. Andy Summers

Yeah, there was no way I was going to let this one pass by. Like you said, you hat serious mojo is really serious..lol!! I’m glad you are enjoying yours just as much Gkott78!! Here’s to many, many more years of playing them!!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  13. Andy Summers

Yeah, this one does have a little something “extra.” My opinion anyway. And don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against Jason Isbell’s music. And in my research, a lot of folks echoed your sentiment regarding him as a songwriter. The only reason I felt silly saying I had his sit guitar, is that I never even heard of him before and now I have “his” guitar. These are just things that go on in my head. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain :)

Jakedog likes this.
  14. Jakedog

I have a sig model guitar from a guy whose name I can’t remember, from a band called “Shadows Fall” that I’ve never heard of. It’s a great guitar. So I try not to overthink it. Lol.

Andy Summers likes this.
  15. Andy Summers

Nice! Is it the Legator? Those look nice. And yeah, overthinking is usually never a good thing…lol.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Jakedog

It’s an LTD from (I think) 2008.

Andy Summers likes this.
  17. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Cool vid and I bet the guitar is great, I’ve always seen him on vids (never live) with an LP or a martin dread though. I had no idea he was a big tele guy. Great songwriter and player.

Andy Summers likes this.
  18. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Holic

I don’t know how anyone in the Americana or tele world hasn’t heard of Isbell. Drive By Truckers? He get better every year. Great slide too.He’s the s$&t.

Andy Summers likes this.
  19. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

I think when I'm ready for the big upgrade, sometime next year, it's going to be either the Isbell or the Jimmy Page mirror tele. tough decision.

Andy Summers likes this.
  20. Andy Summers

Heard of Drive By Truckers. Still never heard of him before this guitar. And as I said, I did check him out, and will further just based on how much people appreciate him. But from what I’ve heard so far, it’s just not something I would opt to listen to. I’m not saying I think it’s bad at all. Just not what I go to musically. And most likely why I had never heard of him.

oregomike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.