1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

More inputs for your DAW

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Mike_LA, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Greetings Gang,

Recording newb here, (even though I've been stuck trying to record and learn FL Studio for 3 years now).

I needed more than 2 inputs into my DAW so I bought a 4 input USB unit, works great, really helped.

Then I thought to connect my old 2 input usb interface at the same time.

It never occurred to me to do that because I thought there would be hardware issues, I was wrong.

So for all the recording newbs, you can run more than 1 USB interface at one time for multiple inputs with ASIO4all

Now I have 6 . . . . .

GoldieLocks and 2fingers like this.
  2. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Tele-Meister

ASIO4All does give you a lot of flexibility... But it does have it's own suite of problems.

For example, it will let you use just about any audio device imaginable as an ASIO device, which is good. You can send your audio out of your regular soundcard, which is useful when you just want to quickly monitor something.

However, ASIO4All gives higher latency than dedicated drivers, and is quite prone to weird bugs. Things like devices refusing to respond at all, or getting all kinds of pops and whistles and such are quite common.

Everything is a trade off. Using dedicated drives is much more reliable, generally speaking, but also might not let you use all your devices how you want.

3. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Ok, good to know, I thought it was just my system.
    Right now after about 20 mins the sound starts to distort horribly and I have to stop.
    Like I said, new at this . . .

4. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Tele-Meister

Yeah, ASIO4All gets lots of that sort of thing and it'll drive you mad trying to find out what is causing it. It's just the result of a non-professional development effort. It's good, but it's not polished.

5. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

If your device works standalone mine, You could try outputting the 2 channel to a pair of line ins on the 4 pre model..that would give 6 mic pres.

6. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

So,since it's going to be trial and error on my behalf,
    would you expect the aiso for the recording software or the input software to be the most correct to use when I'm editing wave files in FL studio?

7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

well first off, how many inputs do you want or need ?

2 USB "input devices" is typically a crap shoot, The DAW may see them and recognize them but can the PC USB drivers use them both for the same function ? 2 for 1 ? Most will say it caused more problems than it solved !

The easiest solution , if you need more than 4 inputs, (certainly not the cheapest solution ) go grab an "8 IN" Interface ! Its only money and after spending hours of trying to make things work properly , spending a few more dollars becomes a blessing ! Sell the "4 IN" on Reverb, it will sell. :)

Biffasmum and somebodyelseuk like this.
  8. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

I have a Tascam 16x08, 8 mic inputs with preamps, 2 line/inst. inputs, 6 line inputs. I was using it to record direct into the DAW for awhile, worked a charm, and now it's had an update that brings the buffer down to 4 samples, so if your computer's fast enough you can overdub with no problems.

9. Splodgeness

Splodgeness Tele-Meister

What are the 2 interfaces that you are using? You may be able to link them together in a sort of master/slave arrangement that will then only need 1 USB connection. (Using the S/PDIF connections if both interfaces have them)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  10. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

I’d suggest if you want more inputs then go for a single interface with the appropriate number. Attaching multiple devices, even from the same vendor, smells of time wasted fiddling with OS, drivers, applications settings etc. when you really want to be using your precious time composing hit songs :)

T Prior likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.