More info about my Japanese 62 Reissue Tele please

Babaluma

Tele-Meister
Hi all,
I have owned this Japanese 62 Reissue Tele for about 10 years now but I realised I actually known very little about it! When I bought it I just plugged it in and loved it so I got it without much fuss. I would like to know a bit more about it from the experts. According to the serial it was made in 2002 - 2004 (Crafted in Japan) by Tokai Gakki, Japan.

Most of the 62 reissues I have seen are the ones with bound bodies. No idea if this is a rarer model? It is Olympic White I think but looks pinkish in pics.

Any idea on the body wood and the pickups please? The pickups are warmer and more middley than my friend's Tele. The neck is perfect for jazz which I play. Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 18.53.55.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 18.56.28.png

jz63

Tele-Holic
Here is mine. Same as yours, Alder body. I put 64RI pups and Rutters Cold rolled steel saddles in it and it sings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 26

Babaluma

Tele-Meister
This page may help : https://www.alston-family.co.uk/MIJ Tels/TL62..php - the model is probably a TL62-65US, Alder body and "Vintage Single Coils".

The non-bound version is much less common than the bound version (I have a similar era bound one and love it.)

Andy

Ah amazing thanks this page looks awesome! Interesting re the body and pickups. Mine never struck me as particularly classic Tele sounding, of course depends on the set up I suppose. Very warm, almost verging into a P90 on the neck. How do your's sound?

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
One interesting note re the JV vintage bridge (metric/Allen height adj) versus the US bridge (yankee slot adj) is not only are the slugs diff size (engineered down in the conversion) but the long distance screw is similarly slightly smaller gauge, and the holes in the back lip of the plate are slightly too small for Yankee distance screws.

Not sure of your case, just using my memory from a decade or so ago. I bought a US plate for $30 and changed everything. It rang better.

kennybro

TDPRI Member
Boy, I love those MIJ/CIJ Fenders. This one looks nice. IMO, these, since the 80's, are some of the best playing and sounding Fender guitars every made, with the 80's MIJ models being at the top of the pile. But all great guitars.

Babaluma

Tele-Meister
One interesting note re the JV vintage bridge (metric/Allen height adj) versus the US bridge (yankee slot adj) is not only are the slugs diff size (engineered down in the conversion) but the long distance screw is similarly slightly smaller gauge, and the holes in the back lip of the plate are slightly too small for Yankee distance screws.

Not sure of your case, just using my memory from a decade or so ago. I bought a US plate for $30 and changed everything. It rang better.
That's interesting I will have a look and maybe try a US plate at some point!

Babaluma

Tele-Meister
Boy, I love those MIJ/CIJ Fenders. This one looks nice. IMO, these, since the 80's, are some of the best playing and sounding Fender guitars every made, with the 80's MIJ models being at the top of the pile. But all great guitars.
Yes it is built like a tank, pretty heavy actually for a Tele. Very resonant and superb neck.

Babaluma

Tele-Meister
The stock pickups were good but flat pole pieces. I wanted the staggered pup/lowish output type and the 64 RI set fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks for the info. I have staggered pole pieces on my Strat and it took a bit of time to get used to it after playing this for many years. I find staggered changes how I play a bit but maybe just because it is a Strat, the Tele is a lot more forgiving of my crappy technique.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks for the info. I have staggered pole pieces on my Strat and it took a bit of time to get used to it after playing this for many years. I find staggered changes how I play a bit but maybe just because it is a Strat, the Tele is a lot more forgiving of my crappy technique.
Interesting statement re the Tele being more forgiving. From my experience and from pretty-much everything I’ve read, the opposite is the case. A Tele is the most sensitive-to-**** ups guitar in existence! Each to their own, your experience has been different. Either way, live the guitar.