More homemade tools: Shop Stool and Wooden Mallet

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Axis29, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I made a stool for the shop... Well, it's a prototype to test my rough sketch of a design. Wanted to test the height, and comfort for a while on crappy wood before butchering nice stuff.

[​IMG]

While sitting in said stool, I used some nicer wood to make another experiment that I really, really love - a wooden mallet for use with my chisels and for assembly.

[​IMG]

The handle is steamed European Beech. I picked up a cheap cut off when i visited one of the local hardwood suppliers. First time I've worked with it. I like it.

The head is a piece of wood I picked up on the side of the road... Literally. I think it's Acacia. They were re-doing the landscaping in my daughter's neighborhood, and they had left a couple logs sitting there too long... So, I snagged a couple.

This is my first mallet, I kinda just built something that fit the weird shape of the blank, but also seemed like it would balance. I lucked out. It seems like the perfect weight for the work I wanted it for. It's got enough weight to knock smaller mortice and tenons together without dinging up the wood. It's light enough to swing easily and control while using a chisel (on said mortices).

Anyway, I'm really enjoying building my own tools.

[​IMG]

I did, eventually, put a coat of boiled linseed oil on the big face too...

[​IMG]

2. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Nice!! Is the chair height adjustable?

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Beautiful work.

Using your own shop-made tools to make other things pours that extra magic into your creations.

Axis29 likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cool stuff!
    I used to like making tools and still like making jigs, but now I delegate my labor more stingily.
    I take it your bones are all still in good working condition?

I had a couple of oak mallets I made in 1980 that worked for decades, but are now gone.
    Don't even have a wood mallet any more, but I also no longer make real furniture or anything else that required driving chisels harder than I can posh them to do minor trimming.

I do like a good workbench stool but prefer casters.
    Don't have one now, that one looks pretty useful and crafty!
    Oddly enough due to my collection of old injuries it's more of a strain to sit while working than to stand, but I have to have my bench top very high, and for some things like soldering fine wire I even have a top level near chin height.

Just banged out a new garage workbench that's almost 4' high, on really big casters so I can move it around the shop as needed.
    The right stuff in the shop really makes working easier and more efficient!

Axis29 likes this.
  5. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Such a cool idea! great work

Axis29 likes this.
  6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mallets in a variety of sizes and styles can be very useful in the shop! The are also great skill building project opportunities, too.

Axis29 likes this.
  7. Axis29

My original attempt was. I used a 3/4x8" bolt and some nuts... But, there was too much play in the threads, so no matter what I did, it wobbled too much for my happiness. I was gonna try one of the long couplers for threaded rod. But, decided to skip it this go-round. I also contemplated a spinner, but can't remember where I saw a heavy duty one for sale recently.

I've contemplated picking up a scaffold leveling leg to try instead of the 3/4" bolt. I've seen guys using them for leg vises and stuff. I think they have ACME threads and might be tighter? I dunno.

@telemnemonics - I had knee replacement surgery back in April. Standing for long periods of time does not make my knee happy.... And, I've had a bad back from too may years in construction for years (and a gut firm eating too much recently). So, standing just doesn't do me well. But, I spend most days standing, moving around the shop most of the time. But, whenever I can, I sit and work.

I did make the shop stool lower, because my work table/assembly table/outfeed table sits a hair below the height of my table saw. The Woodcraft stool I have had for 20 years is about 8 or 9" too tall, and I found myself slumped over all the time. But, I've kept it hanging out, hoping a grandchild or two may hang out with me in the shop before too long.

I also thought about casters. I might put them on when I build the next revision.

As for the mallet, I am so stoked about it. It literally is the perfect size and weight for everything I've fiddled with since i finished it. It is absolutely spectacular at chisel work (I use antiques I've inherited or picked up at antique stores). When i walked out of the shop earlier, I set it down on the workbench and realized that it balances perfectly on the big face... Kind of a cool image.

@Jim_in_PA, I've really become enamored of building my own tools. It's a great way to work on basic skills, make something that fits right, and a way to show off some of your skills as well. Been building jigs and fixtures for years, but only recently started making actual tools from scratch and scraps. I'm looking forward to building a few cool tools for my sons for Xmas and birthdays. I know they'll appreciate them too!

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

This any good? It's an ACME threaded piano-stool height adjuster kit.

9. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Great job on both. Now I'm going to have to build myself a stool just like that.

Axis29 likes this.
  10. Axis29

11. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Very nice work! I love the mallet!

Axis29 likes this.
  12. Axis29

It actually was easier than I imagined... 5˚ angles on everything and a little fiddling to find the length for the leg stretchers were the hardest part. Well, actually, the hardest part was keeping the angles straight on the tops and bottoms of the legs! LOL

I used an angle grinder and one of those flap sander disks to do the carving... That was a bit of a dust maker. I regretted not doing that outside.

jkingma likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.