More headroom Fender Deluxe Reverb

Hossius Maximus

TDPRI Member
Will a more efficient, high watt speaker such as the Celestion Redback G12H-150 100dB or Eminence Swamp Thang – 102 dB increase the headroom of a Fender Deluxe Reverb that currently has the stock 12" Jensen C-12K speaker? I am playing a 1993 American Standard Telecaster.

Thank you

Last edited:

KC

Friend of Leo's
Theoretically a 3 dB increase in speaker efficiency is the equivalent of doubling your amp power so it should make a difference -- the caveat being that everybody seems to measure speaker efficiency differently, and some (looking at you, Weber) don't publish this statistic at all. So an efficient speaker should make the amp louder before breakup and louder overall, but its hard to say how much, at least on paper. Swamp Thing has a reputation as a veery efficient speaker, IIRC, though I've never owned one and can't say from experience.

Bowpickins

Tele-Meister
Technically, they won't increase the clean headroom of your amp, as that is limited by your transformers and tube circuit. However, a more efficient speaker will increase the perceived loudness at any given spot on the volume dial. I once put an Eminence Swamp Thang in my Deluxe Reverb and it was noticeably louder, and it sounded great in my Deluxe. I have not tried that particular Celestion speaker, so I can't comment on its tone in a Deluxe.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Will a more efficient, high watt speaker such as the Celestion Redback G12H-150 100dB or Eminence Swamp Thang – 102 dB increase the headroom of a Fender Deluxe Reverb that currently has the stock 12" Jensen C-12K speaker? I am playing a 1993 American Standard Telecaster.

Thank you
it "should" sound louder..using less power to produce the sound "should" leave you with more headroom...ya that sorta sounds logical...right?

ocduff

Tele-Meister
It will increase the amplifier’s wattage in the same sense that putting massive tires on your car will increase its horsepower.

It may increase power handling in both instances, but whether it increases “performance” is a subjective matter.

You’d have to look at the C12K db rating on the Jensen website to see if it will increase volume over those choices.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted

Askwhy

Tele-Holic
Headroom isn't technically correct but a more efficient speaker will give you more volume at the same amp settings, which is what most people including me mean by headroom. For example, a Princeton with a very efficient speaker will be louder than a Deluxe with an inefficient speaker at point of breakup.

slider313

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Years ago, I played in a band with a guy who had an original blackface Deluxe Reverb with a JBL in it, and it was really loud - louder than my DRRI (my current amp). It was as loud as the Pro Reverb I had at the time, which is a higher wattage 2-speaker amp.

Louder doesn't equal headroom. When you're at an outdoor gig and your Deluxe Reverb has to be turned up to "5", you're out of headroom, even with a JBL E120. Been there. The 22 watt output transformer will saturate and distort. There goes your clean headroom.

A Vox AC10 cranked up to 7-8 is louder than a Deluxe Reverb on "4" but the Vox won't hang with a drummer where the Deluxe will.

JRapp

Tele-Afflicted
The sensitivity ratings for all Eminence speakers are nonsense. And 22 watts is 22 watts---want more headroom? Go to 6L6s ala Vibrolux or Pro. Somebody also mentioned the Fender 30 early 80s model---1x12" with 6L6s, not a bad offering for a beefier DR kinda thing and prolly fairly cheap for a tagboard Fender.

Last edited:

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
It does but be warned that Redback will take about three weeks to break in!! The suspension is super stiff. I finally locked mine in our vocal booth
with a stereo playing Cameo’s Back and Forth on a loop while my wife and I went on a BnB weekend. Now it sounds great. Yes, a Deluxe is a loud amp with higher rated speaker.

The Redback sounds like a cross between an EVM and a Vintage 30. You will be turning the bass knob back a bit.
F6BE37F9-AB03-4C71-9957-70C51257BA71.jpeg

A6D0CBC2-3D4B-4510-9BA0-624EC0F9312A.jpeg

MuddyWolf

Tele-Holic
Get one of those zack wilde EV 12L's. I'd avoid the earlier models. How much more headroom can you get after this change?
None,
None more headroom.

Or

Celestion C90 available as a mesa black shadow speaker.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I use DR's extensively gigging. Yes get a big bold speaker.
A Weber 12F150 -50watt, an Emi Red White and Blues is good. Emi 1258 too. Anything up there at 101-103 db with bold bottom end helps a lot.
Bonus: It will sound a lot better than the C12K too.
Set your Bass to 4+ max. Anything above that on a DR just adds break up.

Next:
Don't bias it too hot.

A clean boost is your friend with a DR when you are pushing it's limits. Many things work. The cheapest is probably an MXR Micro Amp. 1 knob. Set at about 1 oclock your amp will be a lot louder.

The biggest bang for your buck are the speaker and the Micro Amp. You DON'T want a "transparent" boost.