More Guitars or More Amps???

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by D_Schief, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

More Guitars or More Amps???

Yes!

2. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

8 guitars and 2 amps. 4 to 1 ratio I think.

3. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I'm am currently working with 6 guitars (4 electric) and 1 amp; and I hope to maybe get another amp for Christmas.

My main three electrics are SG; Les Paul; and 335.

I want another amp to have two 1x12's in stereo.

Can't decide on which amp for the second...and that makes me sad.

4. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Right now I'm balanced: 4 guitars and 4 amps. I've traditionally been much more interested in amps but I'm running out of space in my music room and want to downsize. I'm also playing bass now and will eventually need to buy my own bass/amp as I'm borrowing a buddy's rig now.

Honestly, all I "need" is my Tele, AC30, and a few pedals guitarwise and I'd like to get an acoustic. Jeez, it never ends does it?

5. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Joe Bonamassa seems to have it about right...

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1446387856.688578.jpg

I always had two different electrics (partscaster tele and Fender Flame) and one versatile amp (Mesa Nomad) until quite recently. With modern technology I now have three backup amps in case of failure - bias amps on my iPad and 'emergency' patches set up in my Digitech XP360 and Soundcraft ui16. I've also bought a JTV Variax which has 25 guitar models on it. This means I now have virtually any amp I could want (courtesy of BIAS-Amps) and virtually any guitar sound.

How did that happen?

I still like to play my tele through the Boogie though.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It would take me a couple of hours to figure out exactly how many guitars and amps I have, but suffice to say two is not enough of either if you play music.
    I fix guitars at a professional level and fix amps at a why-did-you-let-this-guy-touch-your-amp level, so that further skews my view.

Now the OP kind of cheated by leaving out pedals and pedal boards.
    Ten pedals equals the cost of one guitar or amp, and approximates the sounds of two or three amps, so if you have lots of pedals- and use them- you can get away with two amps quite easily.

If I had to suffer the misery of two and five, I'd take five amps because I prefer amp distortion over pedal distortion.
    Also, when they break I'm as likely to make them worse as make them work.

Funny thing is I'd pick two Esquires for the guitars.

7. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

More guitars, always more guitars .... One valve amp and one modeling amp. Then I've got loads of amps ....

8. boney

boney Tele-Meister

the question is unfair, and should be not allowed. it's just to hard .

9. buddhuu

buddhuu Tele-Meister

As far as electric axes are concerned I have two guitars and three amps. That's perfect for me.

10. vernon

vernon Tele-Meister

Careening toward retirement, I've been trying to assemble my "final" stable of guitars and amps... and since I've promised my wife that my Milkman amp order is my last major guitar-related purchase, I guess I'm pretty much done.

So the final count is seven guitars and three amps. Seems adequate to me.

Tele, Strat, 335, Heritage Eagle archtop, Asher lap steel, National Resolectric, and a Taylor 510 (pure acoustic)...

Quilter Aviator (and a 101 mini), Boothill 5F1 tweed champ (for fun), and a Milkman Dairy Air 30 watt tube head being built by Tim Marcus.

That should do it for me (unless someone wants to buy me one of those $90,000 Dumbles on Reverb!)

11. D_Schief

D_Schief Tele-Holic

I did sort of screw up the question (thanks to the proofreader in the bunch!), but it seems like everyone knew what I meant to ask. LOL!

So here the "correct" answer (YMMV), I think if you get one or two guitars that play and sound really well, different amps are going to get you more variety.

Bonus points to the guy who "only" wants a Kemper profiling amp, so that he can keep his 47 different guitars!

And, yeah, I didn't mention pedals. I got that down to just "one" -- a Fractal FX8! (and of course my grab-and-go Mini Pedaltrain with Polytune, Hot Wired, UniVibe, Carbon Copy and dB buffer/boost!)

12. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I don't think I've ever seen a live act where a guitarist had more amps on stage than guitars.

How does another amp help if someone is playing in different tunings?
    Difference between a Floyd and a Bigsby?

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Regarding the spirit of your question to Williams:

One answer would be you can bring the same Tele but a different amp to different gigs when you have to cover Don Rich, Ed Bickert and Keith Richards.

Another answer could be something like Eric Johnson using a modded DR for rhythm and a Plexi Marshall for lead- same for many others who don't use pedal distortion, vol knob distortion or high gain channel switching amps.

And a third would be Brian May, Hendrix or any other multi amp players.

My preference is a combination where several smaller amps can be used alone or in combination to get the sounds I want at the volumes I need.

If you have 20 pedals and just use an amp to make the pedal tones louder, maybe you don't need an amp at all; maybe one is too many.

To me the question of guitars vs amps really comes down to amps vs pedals.

14. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

I'm about even, give or take 1 or 2. I tend to bond with a guitar, and then swap out amps for different sounds and volume levels. Oh, and tubes only, please. I want an actual amplification of my sound shaped only by analog devices, not an approximate model of my sound reproduced digitally and then amplified generically. Sorry, but I'm a curmudgeon.

15. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

A digression from the main subject, but transistors are analogue devices as well. Solid state does not necessarily mean digital modelling, about which I tend to agree in principle, but that doesn't stop me from using my Roland Cube 60 for most gigs. It simply works, and works well. I have about a dozen amps altogether, of which only two contain valves, and one of those is a hybrid Music Man. I'm completely satisfied with good solid state amplification.

Never apologise for such an entirely honourable status!

16. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Indeed- there are some solid state amps out there that certainly fit my analog requirements - I'm just not big on modeling amps. And thanks for the validation of my status! :D

**Disclaimer- any and all statements made by me (no matter how flawed) are subject to my own opinions and perspective of the world. :twisted:

17. buddhuu

buddhuu Tele-Meister

Neither am I. Both of my gigging amps are analogue solid state. Main one is this CR60C. The only digital thing is the reverb - that's the only cost-effective way to have spring, hall and plate in the one amp. The amplification and tone stack though, analogue all the way.

Attached Files:

18. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

And the correct answer is "D" All of the above.

19. 974gt

974gt Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

i suppose ill take one es-335, one es- 330, a black 1956 Princeton 5f2, a '63 Magnatone, Supro 16t, National 1201, a National Twintone, and a 1958 Gibson ga-5…oh thats six amps, sorry

20. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

You need more guitars to balance that all out. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.