I’m just doing my weekly update. I got some work done this week. I wound a new set of coils, tinkered around with the pole height, experimented with shielding my coils and built a rough little PCB. Here it is in the bass: I knocked out that PCB in about 40 minutes. I used a Sharpie as a mask - I’ve never done that before, and it seemed to work. This stage I’d consider “extreme” prototyping ‘cuz sometimes you just gotta go in there and get it done by any means necessary. In a perfect world, I’d be knocking the PCB out with a miniature consumer-grade benchtop CNC router. I really hate dealing with etchant solution. I lowered the poles on the E and the G string. The “wolf tone” I was getting seems to have been mostly abated. But I’m not sure - I keep thinking I hear it a little bit. Part of it might be the really old strings or my imagination. I might have shortened the poles too much. The A and D strings are noticeably louder. The G is too quiet. That’s an easy fix. I’ll make new E and G poles and pop them in there over the weekend. Overall, I’m feeling really good about this pickup. It sounds great. I just have a few adjustments to make, and I’m done. With this particular pickup, I think I’m hearing the “neodymium sound” and it’s interesting. It’s got this largeness and an immediacy without being overly aggressive. I think I like it. On a side note, we’ve been having some really hot, dry weather in SoCal. There’s been a lot of fires. Anyway I looked at my unfinished holly-bound bass body and noticed this: Another easy fix, boy am I glad this happened before I finished the bass!