More Fun with the Modelo Uno: Forward and Lateral Motion

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Freekmagnet, Jul 9, 2019.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Freekmagnet likes this.
  2. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Loved the band video F,M. took me back a long way! Regarding your problem of securing the binding when fitting.....go to a bicycle shop and beg a couple of punctured tubes from their rubbish bin and cut them in half so you get two long stretchy rubber tie-downs which you can wrap around a body or a neck when you're doing binding or even just gluing a multi-piece neck, or gluing on a fret board. They will exert a goodly amount of pressure while holding themselves tight in the position you wrap them in.

DC

crazydave911 and Freekmagnet like this.
  3. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Wow, that clears it up. Thx!

I’ll look into that photo size thing. I upload them directly from my phone to my server where they’re supposed to get resized for the web automatically. Obviously that’s not happening.

Thanks for the kind words.

As it so happens, I am a cyclist myself and I have tons of old tubes laying around. That tube clamp idea is a good one. It might work better than building a fixture.

tubegeek likes this.
  4. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Because I'm using my CNC, the pocket is "exactly" .625" deep (or whatever the metric equivalent is since I prefer to work in metric), but I agree that there is enough tolerance there for slight deviations since you can adjust things at the bridge as someone previously mentioned. It's actually one of the things I really like about the Fender world...no weird angles and flexibility. Note...I'm new to this, but it's pretty clear to me that you have a slight amount of wiggle room, so don't fret (pardon the expression) over being slightly over or under when you're cutting the pocket.

Freekmagnet likes this.
  5. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

I got a bunch of stuff in the mail today:

[​IMG]

I got a set of Gotoh tuners from StewMac. I get them there ‘cuz I have 3 tuners on one side and 1 on the other. StewMac has a pretty decent price for individual tuners.

Next is a a piece of holly that I was thinking of laminating to the front of the headstock. A friend of ours said she could laser-engrave the headstock badge on there for me pretty easily. I’m thinking that the headstock matching the binding on the body will look really badass. I was picturing maybe dyeing the the neck black, with the light headstock and the padauk FB. We’ll see - in order for the piece to fit on the headstock, I have to turn it diagonally.

[​IMG]

I’ll sand it down to 220 before I bring it over to the engraver.

The bridge I got from a dealer on eBay. At first, it looks like a Gotoh 201, but when you look more closely, it’s not. The dealer said it was brass. I can’t tell without removing the finish. I also can’t tell if it’s cast or machined. It looks black in the picture, but it’s actually really shiny chrome. Anyway, I’m going for slightly more retro-modern than funky faux vintage on this bass.

[​IMG]

Lastly, on the far right is a package of Jescar medium jumbo fret wire.

++++++++
    I had kind of a weird week for luthiery. I had a lower back injury. This might sound strange, but I had never had a back injury before, so I couldn’t accurately judge how much pain I was in and how difficult it was to function and focus on what I was doing because of it. Thankfully I’m OK now.

I went to cut my truss rod channel and that was a minor disaster. I’ve done this a few times, so by now it should be fairly routine. Measure > cut > change the depth > repeat. I use my table router. I also use this fence I built that doubles as a jointing fence. Basically, I forgot to remove one of the shims from a previous operation, and I cut a nicely curved channel in my blank! Whoops! Because of my back, I wasn’t really able to get out and fix it as soon as I would have liked. It took a long time, and eventually I routed the channel a little wider, glued a piece of maple in there and re-cut the channel. Now there’s a 1/16” strip glued in there that no one will ever see. Here’s a picture of me gluing the filet over the truss channel.

It looks like a pregnant horse!

[​IMG]

Today I glued the wings on for the headstock - I’ll have some more photos when I cut the shape this weekend.

Lastly, I have a little story. I had a brother who was plagued by demons. He was really smart, and if things had been different, he could have been a scientist or an engineer. But alas, his mind lost it’s battle with itself and now nobody knows what became of him.

Among his many obsessions were these pieces of thin spring steel you can find on the street:

[​IMG]

They come from street sweepers and he collected hundreds of them. My brother claimed that they were the ultimate tool. He used them for things that I probably shouldn’t mention on TDPRI. I saw one on the street on my bike ride home today, and it was the perfect thing to use to fish out this little piece of masking tape I had put over the Allen screw on the truss rod to keep epoxy from getting in the threads. Today, I have my brother to thank.

@guitarbuilder : I changed the compression settings on my server so theoretically the images have been resized and compressed. LMK if it worked!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    tubegeek and Jim_in_PA like this.
  6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes it worked. Us slow DSL users appreciate it.....

crazydave911 and Freekmagnet like this.
  7. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Today was a somewhat big day. Or rather, I didn’t do a ton of work, but it was the work that roughly marks the sort-of halfway point. Basically I cut the neck shape today.

First, I roughed it out. By the way, I still don’t have a band saw...

[​IMG]

It took about an hour to hand-cut the shape. We went out to the desert last night to hear a friend of ours play some Son Jarocho music. The singer played a jarana which are traditionally carved by hand from a single block of wood. Another friend of mine builds them. Anyway, I thought about these hand-carved instruments while I was cutting. I thinking about how much I long for both a band saw and the space to put a band saw.

After that, I routed the shape on the template and checked to see if it fit in the pocket.

[​IMG]

I love this stage of the build. From this point on, the build starts looking like an actual guitar. Tomorrow, I’ll probably drill the neck mounting holes into the body and maybe even glue the FB down.

On a side note, I took a break to help the li’l Lady rearrange the house. She’s been asking me to do this forever, and I just got around to doing it.

[​IMG]

It’s nice to know that she’s enthusiastic about my work. All I gotta do now is build that 212 bass cabinet I’ve been dreaming about and cover it with a aqua Tolex.

8. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Lookin good. Whatcha got goin on with that bass in the middle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

That bass in the middle is my pickup testing rig. It’s a Squier Affinity I bought off of a buddy for $50.

jimilee likes this.
  10. Jim_in_PA

Love the bass on the right...which appears to be similar to the thread project. I hope the bass I have planned turns out even half as great!

tubegeek and Freekmagnet like this.
  11. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Thanks!

I am using the same design. I’m trying to make refinements in my both my design and my building process before going on to making new designs.

After I finish the instrument I’m working on now, I think I’m going to revisit that Flying V design on the left. Maybe do a one pickup version and make a Mosrite-ish bridge pickup for it.

12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I love the concept of the new pickup design but have a few questions. (Hoping to help :))

1) What's the magnetic orientation of the neos in this pickup?

Looking at it I'm assuming that each pole is magnetized the same orientation, ie. both magnets either side of a pole piece have the north side pointed at the pole piece and is the same for all pole pieces.

2) Are the pickups air coils?

If my assumption about the magnetic orientation is correct the Beginning > End > End > Beginning (assuming they are wound the same direction) makes sense for the individual coil pairs. I was surprised you had to flip the winding direction for half of the pickup, I would have thought that the interaction between a string and the other 3 poles/mini pickups would be negligible.

2blue2 likes this.
  13. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Each bar is one pole, N or S. You are correct - the neos face each other on each bar. However, the bars are oriented N-S-N-S. I had to alternate because the magnetic fields would cancel each other out.

All of the north facing coils are wired to each other beginning > end in series. The south facing coils are wired to each other end > beginning in series. Each of those sets of North and South are then wired in series - that’s where the humbucking happens. Originally I had each pole wired as an individual humbucker, but I was having all kinds of phasing issues. This wiring configuration seems to have solved them.

There are no air coils. Each of the coils are wrapped around a steel slug that makes contact with the blade pole.

Right now, it works - it has pretty healthy output, plenty of low end - if anything, it’s too sensitive. It hears everything. That may be microphonics, but if it is, I haven’t been able to pinpoint it. I’m going to narrow the width of the coils and reduce the wind count in hopes of tightening up the bass and midrange a little bit.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Zepfan likes this.
  14. Jim_in_PA

That's a good practice. I actually was working on a first bass design today to compliment some of the guitar design things i've been playing with. It's a learning process and each one begets more learning. :)

Freekmagnet likes this.
  15. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Ezakly. A lot of trial and error goes into designing one guitar - and it can always be better. It makes more sense to me to “perfect” one guitar rather than have 10 guitars that are 75% there.

tubegeek likes this.
  16. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity

I know you potted this pickup, but I'm wondering about the base plate. Could the magnets/pole/coil assembly for each string be vibrating in the base plate section?

2blue2 likes this.
  17. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

It could be, yes. Although I did squirt a few drops of Crazy Glue down in there. Even though the magnets are press-fit, they’ll force each other out if they’re not glued in.

I’ll take a closer look at it when I’m done with the body and the neck.

On a side note, the step-boy has been using my pickup mule to record some demos. He seems to like it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  18. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe a dip in varnish would help.

Asmith likes this.
  19. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Wouldn’t hurt. It’s also possible that the excessive finger noise may be due to the fact that I have the pickup hard-wired to the output jack. It may need a 250K volume pot to knock down some of the brightness.

Zepfan likes this.
  20. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

I had a productive couple of days. First, I drilled the holes in the body for the neck bolts. I gave them a nice counter bore.

[​IMG]

My original plan was to cut a plate out of aluminum, but making a shape that fit in that space wasn’t really working for me. Ferrules are OK. I hate sanding those holes when I go to the finishing stage. I guess I’ll just have to buck up and do it.

Then, I epoxied the FB to the neck:

[​IMG]

And once that set up, I shaved down the overlap with a plane and finished them with the mill bastards.

[​IMG]

I haven’t had the guts to just do it with a router. Maybe next time; this whole filing bit took well over an hour.

And here’s the neck so far:

[​IMG]

That’s it for today. Stay tuned later this week for installing the fret markers and laser-engraving the holly headplate!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    John Nicholas and Jim_in_PA like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.