More Deluxe from my Deluxe ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mase, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Hi Folks,
    Just got a new single channel 5e3 amp .

s-l225.jpg

I have a SD-1 and a Rat, but they seem too much for this type of amp.
    What do you guys suggest for a boost, for the rare occasion I play a solo ?

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Keep the gain knobs on one or both pedals below 50%.

try this (the joyo can be good all on its own as a pedal into a clean amp too, and about $30 new):

TheTruth and teletimetx like this.
  3. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I would go with a treble boost pedal. I don't know the prices down under, but I have been loving my Keeley Time Machine Boost. It's like having two pedals in one(a clean boost and a treble boost). They go for cheap on the used market. At any rate there are many other boost pedals currently available on the market. A good graphic eq could also work to boost a lead. This video gives an overview of a few different types drive pedals. Though I loathe them for other reasons, a Klon type pedal might be what you are looking for. There is a Klone in the video. They do work great for boosting an already overdriven amp.

Mase likes this.
  4. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Might also help to know what genre(s) you play the most; different styles tend to lead to different choices. Is your avatar guitar (2 humbucker tele) what you'd be wanting to boost?

5. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

How high are you running it for your rhythm parts?

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

All it needs is some reverb and tremolo: IMG_4018.JPG

GuitLoop, Mase and RetroTeleRod like this.
  7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Ditch the pedals and turn up the amp. Ride your volume pot.

8. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

With a 5e3 you have a ton of gain on tap, all you should need to do is roll the volume up and down to add or remove overdrive.

9. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The Sd-1's built in low cut is good for keeping bass notes from getting flubby. You might be using too much drive. Try a low drive setting and boosting the level.

Mase likes this.
  10. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Boss FA-1 style (BYOC DIY, Dano Billion Dollar Boost), lots of gain, bass/treble and a low cut switch. Sounds great on everything I've tried, Fender to Orange to Vox. Can't wait to use one with my 5E3 build when completed.

Mase likes this.
  11. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

I love the SD-1. It's my favorite pedal but, it's a one trick pony (to me) The way I have always used it is to set the volume at noon, the tone at 11 ish, and the gain at 9 o'clock. What I want is the tone shaping and an ever so slight volume boost and a bit of compression. This admittedly helps a blackface more than a tweed. Depending on how hard you plan on pushing a tweed, a Rangemaster varient may do what you need. Don't dismiss the old Dynacomp if you want to stay old school country with a slight bit of edge. My. 02.

Mase likes this.
  12. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

70s rock>80s punk and the kind of guitar bands played on "College Radio" in the 90s, what we in Oz called Indie rock.

I use two Teles', the one in my avatar, and another with slightly hot single coils.

zippofan likes this.
  13. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Loud enough to keep up with a moderately loud drummer.

The amp has a fair bit of natural overdrive, so its already pretty dirty for rhythm.

14. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Cheers Jvin

15. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

If you're already running it pretty high, a boost might only get you more gain and compression. Are we talking 6, 8, 10, or 12 on the dial?

16. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

About 8 , beyond that it doesn't get any louder, just more overdriven.

17. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I am a bit puzzled as to why the SD-1 wouldn't work for you. Turn down the gain enough and it's basically a clean boost.

That suggests a clean boost isn't what you want. For this reason, I'd recommend trying a TS9/tubescreamer style pedal. It's old fashioned/not sexy, but that mid bump really does work well for a pushbutton lead boost. If you want to cut through, this is a good way to go.

I also agree that a treble booster is also worth a look if you like bright.

8trackmind likes this.
  18. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

it m
    You may well be right.
    I haven't had this type of amp before and I know some pedals work better with some amps than others, I'm looking for opinions like yours to give me a starting point rather than taking a punt and buying an unknown online.

19. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Sure. God knows we've all been there. But I think you'll get better suggestions if you could provide a bit more information. What exactly do you mean when you say "too much"? Too much gain? Too much treble? Too much bass? The more specific you can be, the better the advice is gonna be.

20. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, thanks. In that range, you got enough overdrive already available from the 5e3 that I can see why the Rat might be too much, but the SD-1 might be usable.
    One approach might be to go with a Klon-like "transparent" OD, stacked into your SD-1. No need to spend too much - something like a Soul Food or the DOD OD-250 reissue.
    You can then add just enough gain from the SD-1 to get the flavor you want and use the Soul Food as a boost.
    For me, stacking pedals has worked very well; the video in post #2, from our colleague @jvin248 is a good demo of that idea, IMO.
    One other idea, given your interest in 80's - 90's would be to add a chorus pedal to work with the SD-1.
    I have an SD-1 on my small pedalboard and it's worked very well for me with both BF and SF fender amps.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.