1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

More Beef ! Roadhouse pickups , Vista Tone Anyone Else ?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by mkster, Aug 19, 2014.

1. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

I made a really quick demo after the instalation .. Enjoy !

I will make a real one soon !

2. Thunders1988

Thunders1988 Tele-Meister

Great demo's, man.
    Got myself a set of Ken's VistaTones for a resoglass build I did a while back.
    Very, very cool pickups.

My Sahara

I freaked out when I saw the V90's! Just NEED one of those for my LP Jr project. :lol:

Think I need to get in touch with Ken again...

3. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Thanks ! Nice guitar ! You may need to make another one for the Kingston :p

I started a new thread for the kingston (Ruckus set) there is a new video !

I got i new camera so far i really like it a sony hdr-mv1 , i think it really captures the true sound ...

Enjoy !

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pic...-style-grit-telecaster-roadhouse-pickups.html

Best regards

Mark

4. nnieman

nnieman Tele-Meister

Sounds great! I just ordered my kingston mini last week!
    I can't wait to put it in the neck position of my beat-up baja!

Nathan

5. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Great ! i am sure you will love it , did you take the set at 130 or only the mini at 95 bucks ?

Did you see the Ruckus thread ?

Mark

6. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

I made a video to show the No load pot mod .

7. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

I made a quick demo of the Ruckus set with the 5 way super switch , the guitar is connected the the Princeton nothing else. Enjoy !

Mark

8. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

I reinstalled the vista tone in the tele , withe pole pieces closer to the bridge , and sunk the screws under the under the cover , that way i can get the coil closer to the strings without them hitting the pole pieces , i an really pleased by the result , i made a quick video .

I also have been ask the difference between vista tone and kingston , i am working on a video to answer those questions .

I think you like the beat , enjoy !

Best regards

Mark

9. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

This is a prototype of a Supro Pickup usually used in the bridge position , its not yet advertised On Ken's site from Roadhouse . Its called Super alnico , not to be confused with a p90.

I looks like a million bucks .

Mark

Attached Files:

Zepfan likes this.
  10. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Very interested in the construction (internally) of the Kingston. I have a VistaTone at the neck in 2 of my partscasters and it's probably the best sounding single coil I have ever heard. You're aware that the VistaTone design is pretty much identical to the Gretsch Hi'LoTron right ? Gretsch were using Valco VistaTone pickups early on until they decided to make their own version and they took a FilterTron ... removed a coil and then copied the Valco parallel magnet on a baseplate design. Very curious about the Kingston pickup internal layout. Also curious about the Supro ClearTone. I love using weirdo pickups that aren't common. It all started with a Denelectro LipstickTube installed in my first partscaster.

11. sidestyle

sidestyle TDPRI Member

I'm curious about the pots you used. I just got a Vista Tone and plan to put it in the neck of a G&L ASAT Bluesboy. It seems that the Vista Tone was originally paired with a 500k volume pot, however I don't want the bridge pickup to sound to shrill. What pots did you use? and are the neck and bridge getting the same value or did you install a resistor to lower the bridge value?

Thanks!

12. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

The vista tone i think its 500k in the demo and still subject to change . On my Strat with a Super Alnico I use a 1Meg . It keep more of the highs from getting grounded .

The vista tone in series with a fender style single coil , sounds glorious ! But its almost impossible to match the pickups volume wise , for that you would need a really hot bridge pup.

13. sidestyle

sidestyle TDPRI Member

If I'm not mistaken, the G&L MFD pickup is hotter than traditional Tele-style so that might work out. Did you find the Tele bridge pickup to be too shrill or have too much high end with the 500k pot? I guess I could always split the difference so much and use 300k pots.

14. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

I am not that familiar with MFD pups , i had a Legacy once and remembered not really bounding with the s500 because of the pups . I guess i understand your concern with the MFD but i am not sure how helpfull i can be, at this point . Change the pot in your guitar and give it a try , you will get the truth for 5 bucks . The shrillness (icepick or otherwise) can be mediated by amp setting that is one thing if both pickup works well without having to adjusting tone control and volume from the amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.