1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MOON amps 5E3

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Blues Hurler, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

Anyone heard of these? Played one today and thought it sounded pretty good. There was another 5E3 clone at the store (Capsule in Toronto) that I didn't recognize the name of as well, and have promptly forgotten it. Anyway, I'm looking for a clone for under $1K and these two used items fit the bill, but I've never heard of either maker! The MOON had a Fender Special Design spkr, which I don't think is a great unit. Otherwise seemed good.

2. Smoky Booroo

Smoky Booroo Tele-Meister

I really like my Cox 5E3. Great communication. Great parts. Simple and fast. And the whole thing was under $800. Check him out. I don't know if you have to pay big bucks for one.

3. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

5E3's are a pretty simple design and building them is not rocket science. As long as they are wired correctly with the right value of components, the name doesn't matter. Assuming correct wiring, a quality OT, caps and speaker are what matter. My 5E3 was made locally by someone no one has ever heard of, and it sounds great.

4. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

+1 on that!!! those things seem to be so plentiful and simple, it won't be long before Wal-Marts starts selling their own brand.

5. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

6. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

Thanks everyone. RumRunner, I was eyeballing that Airline too, but I really want a 5E3. Thanks for the ad for the Clara! I've emailed the guy to see if it's still available. Quite a steal if it works out! I'll let you know.

7. strat_tone

strat_tone Banned

If I were you, I'd buy from a US dealer (CAD is owning the USD historically), and buy used. Recently Dave's Guitar Shop had a Victoria 5e3 for $999.00 for a few months (used). It's gone now, but if you look around you might be able to get one or a similar high enough boutique brand. Here's the link, like I said, it sold recently:

http://davesguitar.com/products/victoria/condition/used/type/amp/

8. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

9. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

Well, I made every attempt to contact him, but no response. I ended up getting a Deadwood Sound laquered tweed 5E3 from Capsule. So far it's a great amp. The amp tech there (Tony?) was really great. He opened up a couple of amps I was considering and had a look through the boards and whatnot giving me the scoop on what was good or less than good on each. I felt a lot better about buying an unknown after him poking through them with me. He even spotted a cooked resistor on one that I would have missed. Plus I was able to get $75 knocked off the price. A very good experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.