1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MOOG!

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Cooper Black, Jun 28, 2014.

1. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

I have not had any bad experience with the drive circuit…

2. BassBoss

BassBoss TDPRI Member

It's possible that I am totally off-base. Just my initial impression based on the sweetwater demo. Lot of marketing BS and no facts so hard to say. Perhaps someone has taken a look at the circuit?

3. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

The Moogs have some of the Best Drive Circuits Ive used.

I just stated in another post that Youtube ect does not give a good example of anything IMHO.

The Lows on the Moogs are Particularly good.

4. mabley123

The EV 5 has a 10k pot in it.

You might Email Moog ( Theyre Slow ) and ask if the 10k pot is compatible.

But I read they like a 50k-100k pot.

I sent a Pigtronics Dual Expression Pedal off and had it modded to a 50k pot. It had a 25k pot in it.

5. ellisvertellis

What does it do then, a different pot value? Smoother sweep?

6. mabley123

It gives a Wider sweep. More travel.. It will improve the sweep if its not compatible.

7. ellisvertellis

Ok, thnx! And the Moog Eps, are they any good? What pot value do they have?

So basically I'm looking for an EP with 50k - 100k pot that has a sweep limiting feature. Hmm.. where to start?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  8. mabley123

The Moog EP3 is great, cheap and it works. It has a 50k pot.

But like I said. I would message Moog and ask if your 10k pot is compatible. I am no electronics expert by any means and know enough to make myself look like an idiot.

I like the Moog EP3 though and recommend it.

9. ellisvertellis

Ok, Thnx mabley123! I will do that!

10. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have the minifooger drive and tremolo. By themselves they are both very good pedals not life changing but very good.
    Having said that, if you include the Moog expression pedal, an analog sequencer (I use the Electro Harmonix 8 step program), or a LFO of some type you have something amazing. My favorite thing to do so far is plug my MXR blue box into the MF Drive With the expression pedal into my DMM. I just play single notes and sweep the filter with the expression pedal. I can almost cop the modular tone from the intro music from The Shining! With the 8 step I can use it like an LFO an create auto wah effects, tone sweeps, or random filter toggle effects.
    The MF tremolo can do any range of basic tremolo effects. From light bias trem type sounds to supper choppy with a very wide speed range. With the expression pedal you get one step beyond a tremolo and can push the oscillator into the audio range. This effectively makes it a ring modulator with about a 2 octave range as well as tremolo just like its mooger fooger big brother.
    If anyone has any experience with the micro fooger boost, ring modulator or delay I would be very interested in any advice on extended functionality as I am considering purchasing these also. Thank you.

11. folktheatre

folktheatre Tele-Meister

I have just joined the Moog pedal club with my Moog minifooger tremolo. It's good but i haven't really had time to delve into it yet but does the job and looks super sweet. Even though it's mini it is still quite large!

12. raneym305

raneym305 TDPRI Member

Moog Minifooger "MF Drive" Overdrive Pedal

Joined the Moog Pedal Club a few weeks ago, unfortunately, I haven't actually been able to enjoy my new Moog MF Drive Pedal!

My 25-year-old Tele has been "on the bench" for about 5 weeks and still has a few more weeks to go- first it was carving a new bone nut, then reradiusing the neck and leveling & crowning the frets, then rewiring the pickups, only to realize that I need new pickups (ordered a set of Bill Lawrence Keystone's that won't be here for a few more weeks).

I finally broke down and grabbed my 2-year-old daughter's "Daisy Rock" heart-shaped guitar yesterday and plugged it into my MF Drive (going into my modded Fender Excelsior). I just couldn't take it anymore. I gotta say, even with the dinky little guitar, I could tell that this pedal has got a pair! I'm definitely going to have a lot of fun with it once my Tele is up and running!

[​IMG]

13. k.a.s.

k.a.s. TDPRI Member

Love my MF Delay, this is one of the best delay pedals I've ever heard.
    dThxf3l5TrM.jpg

14. ellisvertellis

I tried the MF Drive and sold it. Although I liked the wide variety of usable sounds I got out of it, it didn't like my amp setup, or maybe: my setup didn't like the Moog. It's one of those pedals an AC30 doesn't bond with IMO.
    The fuzz or higher gain settings were good, just not better than what I already had. It had a real "buzzy" kind of sound to it too.
    The low gain settings were not at all usable for me. Very dominant in sound shaping and EQ, completely altering your guitar's sound. I can see why that could be a good thing, just not what I was going for in my present setup. Even with the Fender amp, the low gain drive didn't make me go "wow"...
    On the other hand you can really hear the Moog analog signature sound and that is a thing of beauty: very warm and organic, very "alive"!
    The wah and filter expression thing does work very well and that would be the reason for me to keep the MF Drive. But that means yet another expression pedal on my board, so I let this one go.
    Very cool and different pedal! I might try this one again in a different band/setup.

My ringmodulator is still with me btw! Loving it very much, and becoming part of my signature sound. I use a Moog EP3 to blend in the ring modulation in solo's and intro's, very cool!

mabley123 likes this.
  15. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

I recently got the Boost pedal. Brings a nice warmth to the party and really comes to life with an expression pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.