1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Monthly muchxs check in

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by brbadg, May 13, 2017.

1. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

To pass the time, let me tell you a story. My parents got a real (massive) cuckoo clock in Austria after the second world war. After 30 years of trusty service, it broke and they took it to a repair shop. They never heard back from the shop for a year and then another. When they finally inquired they were told it would be worked on soon.

Another year went by and then after a while longer they were told there had been a bad fire at the shop and a concrete block had fallen directly into the clock, crushing the wooden works and gears.

My dad always said he should have pursued the non-return of the clock with more vigor. I said, as in the present case, it wasn't his fault, but I learned something.

Then, amazingly, the shop owner rebuilt first the building and then the clock with all new wooden gears and so on. It is now sitting on my wall telling time another 40 years later.

That story ended happily and I hope this one might also.

Steve 78, Wally, Il Duce and 8 others like this.
  2. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Also to pass the time...

Hoping for a good resolution for all.

Some have commented on not worrying about tracking numbers. It's part of doing business and should never be an issue. Get a tracking number. My $0.02.

Chicago Matt and brbadg like this.
  3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Most of the time tracking numbers don't tell you squat. They tell you an address label has been printed, then three days after it has arrived they tell you it's been delivered.

I once watched a package leave Los Angeles, go to Seattle, bounce back and forth between Portland and Seattle about four times, then apparently fall into the Pacific somewhere. The day before the splash was heard, it was on my front porch.

4. Habou

Habou TDPRI Member

I have a Princeton Reverb that Eric worked on. It took a while. Longer than I had expected. He was always responsive. It sounds spectacular with a huge range of tones. I think he knows his way around those amps. I can't say that I have heard of anyone in Maine that has that kind of reputation. If I only had to wait four or so months again, I would do it in a heart beat. His price was also very fair. That's my story.

JDRNoPro, BobbyZ and bparnell57 like this.
  5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My empathies are with the single-shop guys trying to do something cool that's a real service to the profession. I just hate hearing how sometimes things get off track. Even if they are at fault, I just hate to hear about it.

One thing I always used to stress with my electronic music studio staff, was guiltless emails to vendors or anyone they're doing business with. First, they send an email with a query of some kind. No response for a day or two, then they try again. I tell them to basically send the same email, and never to start off with, I tried emailing you earlier. Nobody likes to read that in an email.

As a professor, this would happen mostly with non-university people who are seeking info or asking for a favor. I always tried to respond immediately to emails, even if it was to say that I'll have to get back in a few days. I would do anything to avoid getting an "I tried emailing you earlier..."

Back to my assistants. I've learned that any attitude that is projected in an email to a vendor, slows the response time. It puts them on the defensive and makes it sound like they are in trouble, and had better straighten up their act.

I'm not condoning the recipient not responding promptly, but nobody likes being criticized, and it's human nature to avoid confronting someone doing the criticizing. I don't mean to excuse a professional business-person who has your money and isn't responding to emails, but I try to be as empathetic as I can when dealing with people who are trying to stay afloat while pursuing their dreams and values.

I should also mention that responding to a request for info about when the amp would be ready is not necessarily easy to do. If you promise something too far in the future, that's no good. If you promise that something will be done soon, then you've now got another commitment to keep. It takes a lot of experience to know how to handle these kinds of requests for info and updates without letting emotions enter the equation.

Not condoning bad actions by these guys, and I recognize that unresponsiveness just sucks. I just want to say how important it is for these one-person shops to remain viable.

6. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

I plan to do just that,Prof.

bparnell57 likes this.
  7. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Maybe a uncrating and first strum video would be appropriate ending?

hrstrat57 likes this.
  8. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

For the record, Eric and I still pass a few PMs on various subjects on TGP. He has seen my posts about my desert-island amp being a tweed Fender Vibrolux, and said he may consider building me one.

I love the VC he built for me (the infamous Peking Duck), but I tend to prefer push-pull amps. My former 60 Vibrolux was an amazing amp. I only sold it as I bought higher than I probably should have then started to worry and losing a bunch of value due to a blown tranny. That may have been misguided, but it was my mindset at the time.

I wouldn't hesitate a second to send him the check should we reach that point.

BobbyZ and bparnell57 like this.
  9. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Ok,folks the amp has arrived. Thanks to Bryan (bparnell57)
    and thanks to muchxs for getting it to me. The amp will be christened
    with all of the Gregg Allman and Allman Bros tunes I've been working on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  10. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

!!!!!

11. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice. A Conn Custom Cletron made by Cleveland Speakers. Same as the 6x9 he put in my champ. Very good unique sounding speakers.

SheldonP likes this.
  12. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a CTS square magnet ceramic Conn pull that sounds excellent. I am afraid to blow it up. One day in a single 6V6 amp....

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Kind've a shame this had to be a public thing, IMO

P Thought and Johnson johnson like this.
  14. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Now everyone who has a amp built or modded by Muchxs needs to pick a time that we can all crank our amps at the same time in unison and play Smoke on the water! :D

gridlock, bparnell57 and boredguy6060 like this.
  15. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

I'm so pleased for you Brbadg. I hope the amp lives up to your expectations. Better late than never and I disagree with Blowtorch, I think having the process unfold publicly not only drew attention to a member's plight but also clarified or threw another light onmany other issues.
    Anyway enjoy your amp, heard anything about that Tele Ron Kirn promised you last year :D:eek::lol:

16. blowtorch

yeah I guess some folk are okay with dirty laundry being aired in public:rolleyes:
    Trashing a reputation has seemingly become a source of entertainment, here

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Mike Simpson likes this.
  17. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hip hip hooray, looks like it is a happy ending. And you owe it to the general public to post sound samples :twisted:

hrstrat57 likes this.
  18. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

Muchxs' reputation for idiosyncratic service and good amps has, through this experience and in my opinion, only been enhanced. The thing I don't understand is why he won't start posting here again, I know I could find out but I'd rather not.

Tonemonkey, brbadg and boredguy6060 like this.
  19. blowtorch

I'd say this thread has made that reason pretty clear

20. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

Last word to you BT. I mean...sure, I understand that point.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.