1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Monthly muchxs check in

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by brbadg, May 13, 2017.

1. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I bet I could get Daniel Day Lewis to build my amp better, faster, and cheaper than amp guru X!

2. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

substitute Norms for Deluxe Reverb

bparnell57 likes this.
  3. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Probably deserved.Some of us drank the Koolaid and others chose not to.
    I wanted something unique and I wanted to support an independent builder.
    I am now taking the hit for it.Part of the risk.

gwjensen likes this.
  4. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

But your amp's on the way. Might be a little longer wait than you thought, but you're getting the results. From what I understand, it will be a monster. :)

Really, the builder's reputation for quality amps seems golden. I'm not disputing that. I just hope it was worth the wait. If what he does well is in your wheelhouse, from what I've read, you'll be quite satisfied.

bparnell57 and blowtorch like this.
  5. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

The sad fact is good techs are few and far between nowadays. So many hacks...

That's why I've been teaching myself to work on amps. I don't trust anyone else to do it.

Its a dying art. And I hope to rekindle it.

telemnemonics, Piotr and boredguy6060 like this.
  6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe best to just agree with you and leave it at that.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  7. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

If he has been active elsewhere but not here, this post is very disheartening. I know I've learned a lot from his posts. I would hate to think the end was a bait & switch.
    I build a few amps and cabinets per year for local guys and custom stuff, and Lord knows I know it is easy to get behind schedule because of weather or whatever. But, if you can't finish what you've got, then you tell the next person he has xx.. weeks before you can start.... or that you don't know when you can get to it. And you definitely don't take payment before you can start work. Months is late, years is neglect.

8. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Max. His membership is still active, he just won't come here anymore

9. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Still no excuse to roll out on a person.Yea ,he explained the Francois Villain thing,
    but didn't tell me he was going off the grid.THAT is inexcusable.

MilwMark, pondcaster and Telemarx like this.
  10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just keep in mind that a builder's reputation is based not only on the quality of his work, but also the quality of his customer service.

Modman68, brbadg and MilwMark like this.
  11. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I am Self employed.
    My clients are who bring in money.
    Communication with them is a priority and honest evaluation of timeline as well.
    My clients have my email address and cell phone number.
    I would definitely NOT do business through a public forum, as a client or builder.
    Once you reach the "lets make a deal" stage , personal contact information needs to be exchanged.
    Being self employed I totally understand the issues with how just having a simple cold will affect your work and delivery times to your clients.
    However, 2 years is a NO GO, plain and simple. Especially for a guitar amp, I mean a lot of guys here change gear more often than their underwear. Not sure I would still want the amp after 2 years.
    Seems like a bit of a fuster cluck on both sides.
    Hope it gets resolved and that lessons have been learned.

brbadg and MilwMark like this.
  12. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like a few guitar builder fates that I've seen on forums in te last few years.

Great product, good prices -> lots of customers, trying to keep up, swamped in work, delays, some unrelated snags in life .... and the guy goes down.

I'm not convinced this discusion is doing any good.

mRtINY and codamedia like this.
  13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Agreed :oops:

Johnson johnson and codamedia like this.
  14. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

I bought a head from a website called Woodcross amps. I provided 50% payment for a Bluesbuster amp based on the Marshall. After many excuses(root canal) I received the amp. It smelled like crack smoke. I'm a psych crisis counselor who visits people in their home. I know the smell. After 7 months it died. He claims to be a Christian. Thus, Woodcross. However, I was the one crucified. Glowing revues on the old version of Harmony Central. A buddy of mine likes to say, the guitar biz is like the old Wild West. Buyers beware. Woodcross is still on the web w a legit site.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

In a big world picture, sadly IME there is some reality based crap backing for the status.
    Even just among techs, never mind actual designer/ builders.

Without recalling every amp tech experience I've had in three New England States plus NYC over almost 40 years, I'll mention some highlights.

Boston tech #1 kept a Marshall for months and stripped all the valuable mustard caps, didn't sound better when I got it back.
    Another Boston tech (#2) agreed to work on my amps after a long process of establishing my references. He would only take amps from players his other customers recommended. His minimum wait time was one year from dropping an amp off, but I was told he might take two years to finish working on an amp. This guy was a builder, not just a repair man.
    Boston tech #3 made my vintage Marshall sound worse.
    Boston tech #4 fixed an amp without calling with an estimate, for more $ than the amp was worth.
    NYC famous name tech worked on a vintage Marshall three times with no improvement. Expensive and not sure he did anything.
    Same NYC famous name tech rush fixed a hardwood cab Boogie and kept the out of production STR415 power tube quad, replacing them with lower quality tubes, told me he didn't know what happened to them when I went in and asked for them back. Amp was OK, but I was selling it so not sure of the outcome.
    NYC amp tech #2 fixed a SFTR 2 or 3 times and it was still noisy as hell, so I gave up. Cheap price though, I was the guitar tech at the shop and got store discount. The guy built high end studio tube compressors.

I'll throw in a Boston tech that worked on a vintage tube stereo amp out of a shop full of tube and SS stereo gear, again kept it for what seemed like a really long time until I was afraid he had sold it and was stringing me along. Got pretty upset about it and it had the same noise issue when I finally got it back.

Over the years I have never found a really good amp tech, though there was a guy who worked out of his basement that did OK. Unfriendly, hard to reach and slow. Fair prices.

I have to wonder who all the techs are that never cause anyone any problems.

Maybe perenially happy customers have new PCB amps where they can't really screw much up?
    If you ever work on vintage hand wired amps, you'll find that moving wires around with the amp running changes the noise level, try it and you'll hear for yourself.
    Not quite occult, but it takes more know how than just replacing the burnt part on the PCB to make an amp work it's best, and it's easy to screw up a good working amp by poking around somewhere you've never been. PCB amps wouldn't have this issue.
    Adding gain without adding noise might approach occult, or maybe we just all expect gainy to equal noisy?
    It's also hard to mod an amp without making it worse in some way.
    We watch all the build threads and it seems anyone can build amps.
    Not exactly true, and if all you want is a stock vintage circuit then maybe you don't need the services of a more advanced tech/ builder/ designer.

Aping a classic and designing new circuitry is far from the same thing, and a remarkably large number of professionals have managed to screw up my stock classic circuits over the years.
    MuchXS is not a repair tech from a trade school, big difference between design/ build vs repair.

I agree that it seems odd, but over the years when I've ask pro players for amp tech recommendations, they are always few and hard to find, with long wait times.
    Never have I been told of several good reliable techs in an area, or even of just one with no special considerations.

YMMV, just my experience.

16. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Eric called this morning and we had a great conversation. He's fun to talk to and it was very positive, no dwelling on the past, and it looks like everything will be resolved. I was on my way to the dentist when he called, so I had to cut it short, but I'll touch base later in the week to pick up where we left off. I'm very excited about the amp he described. It'll be a few more weeks, but we're coming down the home stretch.

Thank you BParnell for hooking us up.

P Thought, Il Duce and telemnemonics like this.
  17. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

I'm glad you're back on track and it looks like you are enthused about it.
    Me,not so much.At this point I'm happy someone else is getting helped who gave up like me.
    I couldn't give a rats ass if he sent me all the parts in a cardboard box.

18. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Based on all you have experienced in the past, I think you can be described as patient, if nothing else! I think I would have bought an SS myself, after all that...

brbadg likes this.
  19. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

That is way to analogous on levels that are both [maybe funny] and needing Novacine.

+ 2

Telelm.. 's. Post is so apprapo as to be a wiki page maybe.

I have sold amps off after contacting several techs and deciding, "I ain't going this route no way". It is far to potentially one of the worst case scenarios of hostage business model. Unadulterated old fenders sell always even needing work thankfully. I am a full disclosure kinda guy rather than the seek a sucker methodology douche as well.

I drove to Spokane to retrieve my kids Mint S10 from a shop he brought it to for a head gasket. My kid wanted me to send coin the guy wanted for the job. He wanted the entire amount up front. [RED FLAG #1]

He had 4 vehicles apart in the shop for heads. RED FLAG #2 for me. Some googling showed reviews so insane from his hostage holding technique of bilking folks for more and more coin once he had the car in pieces. Strick 3, your outta there! Now to get his car outta there....

I was surprised how easily I got the car outta there frankly. He had my kid so intimidated he was afraid to go get it out of there. Good thing my kid had no coin for him to start taking it apart.

Probably good I am 220 lb and over 6', and he didn't like to shoot folks. .. on Tuesdays that is..?

20. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

You're too much Robt57 !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.