Montana -The Last Best Place Club!

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Oh yeah, only in Montana is there perpetual lawsuits about a motto, nevertheless, it is true!

I moved here 15 years ago to build my dream house. I'm hoping we move in before next winter. Yeah, it is a timber frame from our own trees, using an 1880s boring machine to hog out mortise joints, assembled with pegs made with a drawknife. We live in, what will be my wood shop. I scratch built my own designed, micro hydro plant that has been operating for 14 years now.

I joined TDPRI to learn about teles before I bought one about 7 weeks ago. I have 4 other guitars already. :D

Come on in!

Last edited by a moderator:

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
3rd day since the Club started ... I'm starting to really feel lonely out here. No wonder I have to drive two states over and across one time zone to get to the nearest GC.

thelowerlip

Tele-Afflicted
This will be the smallest TDPRI Member's Club on the forum...unless Wyoming starts one!
Let's see...I know there's a guy in Billings. And one in, what was it, Wise River or something?

God I love it here!

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Yeah, I have company!!! Welcome to (what you are probably correct about) the smallest TDPRI Member's Club. Actually Idaho has been waiting for a second person as well so far. I've been waiting for the Wise River person, that is why I bumped it once. I'm out on the other side of the divide. I visited a friend of a friend just outside of Nye. Had dinner in Red Lodge. I love that area! I moved here 15 years ago and I could never go back. I've been watching the state population and it is equal to and has been tracking the population of the city of San Francisco.
I thought I had to drive far to the nearest GC. I have to cross Idaho to Spokane, WA through a time zone. You must have to go to Billings for any music store.
Welcome aboard!!!

randomhitz

Tele-Meister
Obsessed--can't quite figure out what part of the state you are in. I grew up in Missoula. Currently living in Colorado but plan on moving back to Montana within the next year

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Obsessed--can't quite figure out what part of the state you are in. I grew up in Missoula. Currently living in Colorado but plan on moving back to Montana within the next year

Missoula is the "big city" for me. I'm 90 miles away. If you are looking for a good time to visit, don't miss the Roots Festival, August 24-25, 2013 in Missoula. They close off streets downtown and professional stage/sound and getting better every year!

I guess it is premature to welcome you, but welcome!

jhegel

Tele-Meister
I'm about 50 miles north of Missoula.

Here is a carving I made that fits this catagory quite nicely.

John

Attachments

• last best one.jpg
    last best one.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 128

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Whoa, the herd is finally comin' in!!! Must be the end of calving time! I was startin' to wonder.

Welcome BillNeaves. Missoula is definitely becoming the musician's mecca around here! Both of my step daughters are married and live there. With one grandchild and another on the way, we visit often.

Hey, welcome jhegel. Must be from the Flathead/Kalispell area. Perfect sign! Wow! A lot of work went into that carving.

I'm trying to get the local elk to surf past the house, but they seem to be a bit wary of the waves. I'm trying out some Robert Johnson with my new tele, exploring Open G, slide and finger pickin for the first time this winter, but is ain't helping the elk surf any better.

Snow is about gone now, so I'll be out building on the house in a few days. Ten years into this timberframe using 19th century tools. My wife is pretty tired of the cabin, so I hope to move in before next winter. I play guitar all winter and then forget some of it by the next winter. Two steps forward, one step back.

Great to hear from y'all!

BillNeaves

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the welcome. I have a studio here in town where I teach acoustic and electric guitar, as well a mandolin. Missoula is a hopping town for music!

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Thanks for the welcome. I have a studio here in town where I teach acoustic and electric guitar, as well a mandolin. Missoula is a hopping town for music!

Yeah, I thought I recognized your name. Do you have fliers at Outlaw?

stevieboy

Poster Extraordinaire
Okay, I'm not from Montana, and I've only been there once. But my grandparents homesteaded there in the early 1900's, got a plot a land outside of Big Sandy. My Mom was born and raised there. She was working in Great Falls when she met my Air Force pilot Dad, and my brother was born in Great Falls.

Senator Jon Tester's family's land was right next to my grandparents, and my grandmother and his were good friends, though I gather they used to argue about politics a lot.

I went there when I was six, by that time my grandparents had retired from the farm and were living in town. Not too long after my aunt who still lived with them got a job teaching in California, and they all moved, so I never got a chance to go back. But my grandparents never lost touch, and even had the town's weekly newspaper delivered by mail for as long as they lived.

Sw0rdfish

Tele-Meister
Was born in Butte and have family in Red Lodge and Three Forks. Beautiful country I miss it a lot. My great grandfather was the first Sheriff in Carbon County John Boggs Dunn.

Last edited:

Teletubbi

Tele-Holic
Ive been gone 40 yrs. Cant afford to go back now. Still have my BigSky plates and flaps on my truck though. I just renew every April (:cool: Sure miss May thaw up there when its already 110 down here.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
stevieboy, Swordfish and Teletubbi: It's not too late to make the trip up for a visit! Lots of Blues festivals, bluegrass festivals and the Roots festival in Missoula!!! May, July and September are my fav months along with the snowy months.

Starting to need some AC in July and August nowadays though.

3 Chord

Friend of Leo's
Yup there is a guy from Billings, me! What a great state to be living in. Grew up in Vancouver BC but living in MT I am happy as a tele plugged into a twin.:D

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Well, thelowerlip was right. There is someone here from Billings.

Welcome aboard 3 Chord!

That makes us a handful so far and I know there is one more from Wise River, so that makes half a dozen. I've seen at least that many teles sell at the guitar store in Missoula and I only have one.

alpinewhite

Tele-Meister
I was born and primarily raised in Great Falls. Moved to MI 17 years ago for a job. I miss living there. I get back every couple of years. Spent the first 2 weeks of July there this year. My plan is to retire in MT.