Monotone Solderless Wiring Harness...

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Holic
Was going to put this in the Telecaster Discussion section, but thought it would be more appropriate in Just Pickups.

I'm competent and proficient with a soldering iron, but decided to give a solderless wiring harness a try. I was a bit skeptical, but figured why not, and ordered one. It's a Monotone Solderless Wiring Harness.

Installation was ridiculously quick and easy. So far I have nothing negative to say and think it's a great option for those who aren't handy with a soldering iron. I also think it's a great option for someone who likes to swap out pickups often or is on the search for the perfect set of pickups and doesn't want to deal with breaking out the soldering iron. The other benefit I could think of if you're demo'ing different sets, it keeps them in essentially like-new condition without having to cut or tin the ends, and just looks better if you're selling the sets that you didn't bond with.

I can't say that there's any discernible difference in sound/tone either.

Just thought I'd throw that out there if any of you have been curious about a solderless wiring harness. They also make it in a 4-way option.

WmM5RbO.jpg

Last edited:

feldkeen

Tele-Meister
Looks clean and tidy. Would changing a pot be a normal soldering job. And setting it up in hum canceling middle position would be easy.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Holic
Looks clean and tidy. Would changing a pot be a normal soldering job. And setting it up in hum canceling middle position would be easy.
I've thought about that regarding changing out a bad pot or switch. Would be just like swapping one out on a traditionally soldered harness.

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
Just put one in an in-progress project. It's electronically almost bulletproof because if you miss-connect something you don't have to unsolder and re solder. (Warning: As slick as it is, large fingers don't make it all that easy!!!)

Note that the pots are soldered in - the quick-connect is just for the PU and input jack wires.

High-quality components, nice pot feel and hand made (very well) and as I've noted before, if you're going to put it in a Bullet Squire Tele (the body is thinner) you'll have to do some very careful carving in the bottom of the space to accommodate the round switch and you'll have to file the toggle slot a bit to let the switch move to it's most-forward position.

This latest one is dead-on humless with classic Tele pickups and copper tape interior shielding.

All in all, it will be a component in all future builds, if for no other reason than changing PU's as many times as you want is a matter of minutes and there's no unsoldering/soldering mess.