Monoprice tube amp clubs?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by archetype, Jan 21, 2018.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Folks. I've searched in vain, but can't find anything dedicated to the Monoprice 5 and 15 Watt amps under Tube Amp Clubs. Am I right, or just unobservant?

If they are truely unrepresented, there, could someone start them?

I own neither, but am considering the purchase of both. I think it would be beneficial to accumulate knowledge of these as amp clubs.

2. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Tele-Meister

There are definitely a bunch of threads. Maybe not one titled or deemed the club yet. But a great bang for the buck I've heard on those amps

3. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Not sure there is a club, but there is atleast one large thread dedicated to each. I had the 15 and it was ok stock, but came to life with a speaker swap. Turns out i just dont like el84 amps so it moved on to a new home.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I just bought their 5 watt Class A amp... It is the new style with the controls on the front.. It looks so old school cool. I can find nothing about it, that I don't like,... especially THE SOUND.. For it's size, it sounds huge... and can be loud. And it is noise free, dead quiet... It does it all for me. I can't wait to start using this for recording.. I may buy another for stereo.... one clean,... one with effects.. At 10% off, I had it delivered to my door for a stupid cheap $80,00.. Amazing! Monoprice sells directly for cheaper price and more immediate, [free], delivery, than all the other places that sell them..

MattyK-USA likes this.
  5. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

New member of the15 watt club here. It recently arrived and I used it for the first time yesterday. I feel I'm getting $1K worth of tone for $150.00. It also loves pedals, so bonus! Its the new model with controls on front. Look good, sound good, light weight and enough volume to break the windows. Only used it with my eel so far, but looking forward to plugging a few others in.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

When I got my Blues Junior III, I had concerns about a Fender amp with EL84s. I was very pleased with the Fender shimmer and sparkle. I mentioned that in a post, and I caught all kinds of flack and criticism for thinking a "tube" would flavor the sound of an amp. I still think a tube will affect a sound, as well as the particular circuit its used in....but I have to say the BJ III sounds great, even with EL 84s.

7. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Ive tried a few blues juniors and with the exception of one i just dont car for them. I admit the pro junior has my interest but no one here stocks them. As a general rule though i just ignore el84 amps, cant even tell you why there is just something in the sound regardless of circuit that i dont care for.

TequilaCaster and Obsessed like this.
  8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Well, if your eel can hold a pick and fret, I say let it play.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  9. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

That darn eel! My tablet has a nice way of changing words on me, but that darn eel does the trick quite well when I'm playing slippery when wet.

10. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

I'll join the club with my 15watter. As posted elsewhere, I ordered the 5 watt version when they were on sale for $89. I received the 15 watt by mistake but kept and, and glad I did. I love it.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  11. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Oh thats terrible, I dont feel sorry for you. Thief ;)

12. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

There's no club, because we owners of the Monoprice amps don't qualify for club membership per the required financial disclosures. Rather, we just hang out in the park with the homeless folks and drug dealers...

FYI - I'm still exploring the capabilities of the "Stage Right" 15-watt amp. The crunch is amazingly good and easy to get, and lately I've been using the volume and gain to switch between clean and dirty tones at comparable volume levels and finding that it's not too difficult to do. Also, I have noted that (for me) the tone control is a good way to adjust for different guitars while leaving the bass-mid-treble settings alone. I haven't really explored the 15-watt setting much, because my room is small

Rod Parsons likes this.
  13. Valentineregard

Valentineregard TDPRI Member

Okay, I bought the 15 watt version and I absolutely love it and it sounds surprisingly blues jr-ish when you roll the middle down a bit. I love this amp. Mine is definitely USED though and all of the sudden some days I will turn it on and the power drops completely and randomly keeps power dropping and sometimes when I fiddle with the volume and gain and reverb knobs after awhile it finally goes away for about 15 minutes then it’s back. Any idea why this is happening? Could it be dirty pots or does it just need new tubes?

14. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

My bet is power tubes need replacing

Valentineregard likes this.
  15. Rod Parsons

First, try wiggling tubes, one at a time, when volume is becomes muted again to see if tubes are seated tightly, Or pull tubes and clean off old dust/corrosion, if any, from socket and tube pins,,,, CAREFULLY.

16. Valentineregard

What is the best way to clean the tube sockets?

17. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

1) If you've not had it long, send it back for an exchange.
    2) Some Laney Cubs had an issue with thermal resettable fuses and a thermistor. Laney got on top of the issue years ago. With these?, who knows. Symptoms are it cuts out, takes a while to cool down, then comes back on. That's a warranty job.
    3) Could be faulty valves. Take the back off, play until it does it and in a darkened room, look for the heaters. If all the heaters are aglow, then the thermistor/fuse issue isn't it. If the heaters aren't glowing, all the heaters, then it's the old issue. Don't do the 'Internet Wisdom' thing and short them out. It's a warranty issue.
    If the heaters are all glowing and the amp is silent, connect your guitar to FX return. Any sound?
    If in doubt, and you've just paid for it, get it exchanged. If you paid for a new amp, and a 'B' stock was delivered, get a new amp. I don't know what the Monoprice warranty on valves is, but a fair few manufacturers offer 3 months on the valves, 3 years on the rest of the unit.

18. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

`Cheap parts built by slave labor

What's not to love?

Think globally ---> Act globally

19. Valentineregard

Update:
    Unplugged the reverb tank and now the amp isn’t power dropping or crackling?? Can that little accutronics reverb really be making that much of a problem?

20. Rod Parsons

Yep! Loose connection.., hopefully the plug us just dirty,.. Clean er up,,,, fixed, me thinks. If it's not that, then reverb tube,,,, or the tank is shot.... If it's the tank, I would consider a refund,,, Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.