Monoprice tele on sale

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Deepblankspace, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Spinaltap1

Spinaltap1 TDPRI Member

I recently bought a Tele from GFS. I paid $115, shipped, it was their frequent 30% off on clearance pieces. The brand name is Hurricane, they have had a # of them, strat or tele shaped up in the past. The neck is nice and comfortable with a RW fingerboard, frets are well done, body is nice, but I haven't checked what type of wood it is yet. There were 2 minor problems, the tone pot is very sticky, and the strap pin on the bottom was corroded. Both easily fixed. For $115, it was a total win.

Deepblankspace likes this.
  2. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

And, it's not just Andy Mooney (he probably makes a lot more than 750k, when including stock options, et al) the Fender organization has a huge payroll of all manner of professionals and support staff involved with keeping a company like Fender humming along so successfully, not to mention the venture capitalists who own Fender - they like to eat very well at night.

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

re: Monoprice Tele, $80
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?c...7611&cjevent=0873d483493f11ea823000a80a1c0e14
    OK it's here! took 4 days.
    First blush:
    +Nice finish, kind of TV yellow. Not see through .
    +Fit and finish work seem great. String through holes are aligned straight etc.
    +Action is decent, of coarse needs nut tweeked to proper height.
    - Small frets
    +Nice neck shape not too thin about medium.
    +Rosewood fretboard is nice rosewood and very dark. No stain wearing off on your fingers.
    +Strap buttons are real buttons no those thin cones.
    - Weight: 11 lbs!
    +Full thickness body

Playing electric:
    Seems to work fine, no hum, no buzzing frets. Very easy on the hands. Pickups sound very tele. I didn't play loud yet so we'll see, I would assume they are ceramic, but maybe not.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  4. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace TDPRI Member

11 lbs!!!!

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Eleven Pounds!!

:^)

6. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I'll tell you how they make money, horrible labor conditions. Maybe think about that before you click "buy".

The Angle likes this.
  7. schmee

OK, I Re weighed it. It just didn't feel that heavy!
    It weighs 7.4# this go around. Must have been something going on with the bathroom scale... I think the 7.4# is closer!
    After playing it some, I think I got lucky. It's very nice playing guitar, seems a bit better than the SX, Squier, Amazon etc low end tele's I've had. Especially the neck, nice shape and no sharp edges o n the fretboard etc like some cheap guitars.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  8. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

So, just a quick look at that guitar. The Indio Tele in the pictures has one of those bridges with the wrong pickup angle. It's Strat angle, not Tele angle, which means it won't be as twangy as a real Tele. But if you like it right out of the box, it's worth $80. I've bought cheapies like this before, and ended up adding $350 in upgrades. It's not worth it to me.

9. schmee

? not sure what you mean. You mean the angle is slightly different? or opposite? It's not opposite.

10. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

The angle of traditional Strat bridge pickups is about 10 degrees. But Tele bridge pickups are about 15 degrees. It doesn't make an incredible difference, but an audible one when comparing Teles with the 10 degree bridge vs. the 15 degree bridge. I have both, so I can tell you it makes a slight difference.

11. schmee

I always wished both Teles and Strats angled them the other direction. Go figure. What does everyone complain about on Teles? Brightness in the bridge position. The closer the pickup is to the bridge on those high strings the more screeching it is. Of course once you learn the "art of tele" and roll off the tone it's not too bad. :D

12. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I have the Tele that sells for $200.:I replaced the nut, pickups, and the bridge, which were all somewhat lacking. The frets are small and I'll probably put a new neck on it as I'm wearing then down fast. Sounds a bit silly, but I actually love the body, its light and the finish is great. I got it on sale and enjoyed the process of modding it.

13. Deepblankspace

What parts do you buy thatd add up to 350?
    Bridge, <$50
    Nut, tuners <$50
    $250 pickups?

bender66 likes this.
  14. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Hold me back.

Rather have a bullet, at least the bullet will be sellable when I'm done with it.

15. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you. Might as well buy a CV.

16. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Add in a new neck, because I usually don't like the necks on these cheapos, and the frets wear out quickly.

17. Deepblankspace

I would suggest you never buy a manufactured guitar again.
    Just build them.
    An 80 dollar guitar is an 80 dollar guitar, no expectation level will change that.

350 into a partscaster could be a dream

bender66 and schmee like this.
  18. schmee

A couple further thoughts:
    -A cheap guitar is a cheap guitar no doubt. As I mentioned, this one seems better than the other cheapos I have bought in the last few years.... and even less money. Let's face it, these things are cool platforms for experiments and modding and that is what most of us do with them it seems. At this point I dont feel the need to do that with this. Although it may become a Nashville type as I have a mid Nashville pickup laying around!
    -Strangely, I recently bought a custom aftermarket neck for another guitar costing $250 +. This cheap neck feels better.... and as I said above, it's much better than the SX or Squier I had. it seems like a really well done neck.
    -I posted a Tele shootout yesterday, the pickup in this sounded as good as the G&L's we compared with. I have yet to discover if they are ceramic or not but they dont seem to sound like the ceramics I've had in the past.

19. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

How thick is the body?

20. Sneaks

Sneaks TDPRI Member

I snagged an SX Furian double bound Tele from Rondo (not affiliated) for $130.00 delivered and couldn't believe how good it is. Love the substantial maple necks and slightly lighter (thinner @ 1-9/16")body. Will be ordering two more in the near future.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.