Monoprice Stage Right all tube 30w "half stack" with Celestion V30

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Deaf Eddie, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

Chunkocaster and stevemc like this.
  2. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

And so, they DO sell just the cabinet - $199.
    Figure that's the $125 for the V30, and $75 for the box. Not too bad.

Hmmmm….

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

So how does it sound in stock form?
    Just about every thread I've seen about Monoprice amps, the buyer ends up replacing a bunch of stuff and changing things a bit. That has always made me think that if they need all the changes - they may not be worth buying in the first place.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The cabinet's a steal, about what a V30 costs. That and a secondhand SF Bassman head workin'rig

Zepfan likes this.
  5. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Many ppl did a speaker swap, the ext cab with a V30 takes care of that,,,albeit at the price of what the 15 watter was going for in total. I paid $145 for mine, including shipping.
    An appealing trait of the 5 and 15 watters was price point, at $600 for the set they're into new territory.

Priced separately
    the head is $450 https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611898
    the cab is $200 https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611899

The cab is an ok deal, not the cheapest. An optional panel to have a closed cabinet would be nice. Also, the 15 watter's combo cabinet was light...have to wonder what type of wood they're using here.

Thomman has 1x12's and 2x12's for better price.
    $120 Harley Benton 1x12 w/ Celestion Vintage 30 here
    $160 Palmer 1x12 w/ Celestion Greenback here
    $200 Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion Vintage 30s here

The head has improvements over the 15 watter and has made it more viable for gigging with channel switching and 30 watts. Other than a high/low input and a bright switch it seems similar to the 15 watter.,,,although who knows at this point which design they used.
    I recently sold my 15 watter. I only swapped the 12Ax7s in V1 and V3 and improved the sound quite a bit. I'm guessing th V30 sounds pretty good. When I ran mine through a Eminence Legend GB128, it sounded better, but not enough for me to mount it permanently.

Zepfan and Pontiaddict like this.
  6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

The Harley Benton V30 loaded cabs work out at roughly the price of the speakers alone, even when shipped to the USA. Reviews of them are good. It might be worthwhile getting one, even if you don't like the V30 speaker you could replace it with something more to your liking and sell the V30 on and still end up with good cabinet for a very low price

Zepfan and joe_cpwe like this.
  7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

In another thread relating to this amplifier, some clever soul identified the amp as being a remake of the Laney VC30. The controls, control positions, sockets all bear this out, with additional weight being the older Monoprice are Laney rehashes.
    The VC30, like the Vox AC30 it competed with will quite happily tear your head off ( in a good way ).

Give it a year and Thomann will have a Harley Benton branded unit too, then, I'll struggle to fend off needless GAS.

Zepfan likes this.
  8. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

That's Blues Jr. money.

9. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

That's mig50 money.

10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

To me, $200 doesn’t seem like much of a deal for a Vintage 30 loaded cheapo cabinet. You’re better off getting a higher quality Vintage 30 loaded cab on the used market, and not having to break in a new Vintage 30 (takes a long time, and sounds terrible until you get there).

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

$599 US is about what I paid for my Ceriatone JMP 50 watt lead head, re tubed with mullards and in mint condition delivered.

I bought a used but mint Blackstar 1x12 cab for $110 AU. Loaded with a Blackstar speaker but I swapped it out with a V3 I got used for $80 bucks AU.

I think that price is a bit high for what it is.

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.