Monoprice Stage Right 15w vs 5w? Anyone ever compare side by side?

kmckenna45

TDPRI Member
i have a Stageright 15W amp, but I'm intrigued by the 5W (using 6V6GT and one 12AX7), and the the 15W using two EL84 and three 12AX7 - sure the 15W is louder with the 12" speaker.

But has anyone ever tested them side by side in a practice space/bedroom? I would think you could drive a 12" external cab with the 5W and get a great set up.

The 15W has a lousy reverb. So, feature-wise they're pretty similar.

I'm wondering about sound....does the 5w have more crunch, etc.

Regards,.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
i have a Stageright 15W amp, but I'm intrigued by the 5W (using 6V6GT and one 12AX7), and the the 15W using two EL84 and three 12AX7 - sure the 15W is louder with the 12" speaker.

But has anyone ever tested them side by side in a practice space/bedroom? I would think you could drive a 12" external cab with the 5W and get a great set up.

Regards,.

I haven’t tried them side by side, but I have a 2 watt tube amp that will run a “12 external cab fine. It gets pretty loud before it distorts with the twelve inch speaker.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
When I was amp shopping once, I tried the original Cub models.
The Cub 8 / Monoprice 5W is a lovely, gnarly little thing. Great sound, but loud. It's basically a Champ, with all the Champ goodness, and the drawback that it needs winding up to sound anything like.
The Cub 12r / Monoprice 15W is a good amp. The tone stack and overall tone control coupled with gain and master volume give it the edge in terms of flexibility. It does lack the sound a single ended amp makes when set 'just so', and that's a sound I personally love.

Aside. In the end, I bought the Cub 10 :) ( 2*12ax7 + 2*6v6 )

A reverb tank swap, swap V1 for something better and bias it correctly and the 15 is a good amp. However, that Cub 8 sat with me, and is in part, the reason I have more amps than I need. Nothing, but nothing, comes close to a Champ-a-like run just on the verge of madness, through ( in my case ) a pair of 10" speakers, or a 12" I guess.

5 Watts of Champ-a-like through larger speakers is barking loud, and the sound of rock'n'roll heaven to me. The Monoprice amps seem to be cheap as chips. Buy both. You know it makes sense.

Aside No.2 I picked up a VHT Special 6 for chump change. I intended to mod it, something to play with, until I found a new sound in it. If you have the cab already, an alternative may be the VHT. It does the single ended glory thing really well, but it also has a pentode/triode switch that changes the amps character in a way I wholeheartedly approve of.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

Regards,.
Check the thread I started yesterday!

lariat 99

Tele-Holic
I just ordered one about 15 minutes ago...on sale for $136. I already have the MP 15/1w and their 50w head, and have been happy with both.

I have the Ultra 6 head...I'll have no end of tones when they are all lined up 🤓.
Where did you order from.

SneakyPup

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I have the 5 watt. It can get plenty loud in a small room. Sounds awful when really cranked, but is fine at lower volumes using a distortion pedal.