Monoprice Stage Right 15w combo owners. Got rust?

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
If you own one of the Stage Right 15w combos from Monoprice, is your control panel starting to rust around the knobs at all? I had never noticed this on my amp until I took this pic of the Reverb knob and noticed the brown accumulating around it and others. It appears to be rust. Could be nicotine & dirt but my first guess is rust.

Is anyone else's doing this? How long have you had it? How often do you play?

I've had mine since September of 2020 and I play daily. Multiple times/day. Still, it's the first time I've seen this and it was only after I took the below pic. So anybody else got rust? How would one go about cleaning it without taking off the rest of the numbers?

Thanks!

20220515_021136.jpg

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Where are you storing this? If it's in a garage or damp cellar with no slip cover I'd find somewhere else. Some Silvo polish should wipe surface rust off, take care not to remove the silk screened text and graduations - you could clear lacquer it to stop it coming back. Unfortunately real chrome requires several layers, low cost manufacturers use flash chroming which is cheaper which doesn't stop rust forming from underneath.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
So it apparently wasn't rust. The odd thing was it was completely, 100% invisible to the naked eye. I checked again before I cleaned it all, and it wasnt visible whatsoever. I thought maybe I just didn't see it. Oh, I didn't see it alright lol

So, I pulled the knobs and just lightly hand rubbed it with polishing compound. Took it back to a mirror finish and no more "invisible rust/nicotine/dirt/whatever" anymore.

I did take off part if the 7 on the Treble control, though 🤣 There's also a 7 missing from the Reverb control from when I accidentally removed it with a Dremel polishing wheel when I was removing the part number below "Stage Right" 🤣

20220515_085533.jpg

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
Well, I heard somewhere that rust never sleeps. Apparently, it may take a quick, cat-nap from time to time.

I've had my MP 15 for 3-5 years now...no rust! Oh yeah, still got the stock tubes and much hated Celestion speaker. Still sounds real darn good as it is.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Dude, wash your hands more often! ;)
Its not dirty hands. I wash before I play. Every time. I can't stand dirty guitars and funked up fretboards. And that's why I wash my hands every time without fail. Also because I have dogs and they get dirty which means my hands get dirty. I'm so, OCD about it that I got temporarily banned here last time somebody posted Mike Campbell's
nasty azz Telecaster
because I made some pretty harsh Comments about people who don't wash their hands and play nasty instruments.

As I said, it wasn't dirt. Dirt is visible. That wasn't visible at all without a camera viewfinder to look through. Thanks though.

Last edited:

Finsnake

TDPRI Member
If you own one of the Stage Right 15w combos from Monoprice, is your control panel starting to rust around the knobs at all? I had never noticed this on my amp until I took this pic of the Reverb knob and noticed the brown accumulating around it and others. It appears to be rust. Could be nicotine & dirt but my first guess is rust.

I've had mine since September of 2020 and I play daily. Multiple times/day. Still, it's the first time I've seen this and it was only after I took the below pic. So anybody else got rust? How would one go about cleaning it without taking off the rest of the numbers?

Thanks!

View attachment 983554
Playing does not cause rust. Atmospheric conditions in the room do.

Ben Bishop

Tele-Meister
For stuff like that I'd be inclined to remove the knobs, spray some WD-40 on a paper towel and just give the front panel a light pass. I find it can lift a thin bit of oxidation. Of course I'd check if it'll lift the numbers ...

Reactions: Geo

SoCal-Alan

TDPRI Member
So far, mine is the little Amp that thought it could. I use it a couple hours on and off everyday. I have NOS tubes and threw a Greenback in it. Only changed it because I bought a Blue speaker for my AC15. I did like the original speaker. But this is a little tank, 5 years now.

Dorsal900

TDPRI Member
Given that the discoloration is only by the knobs, and not by the input jack, I'm guessing that the oxidation is due to off-gassing of the plastic knobs. Wax should help prevent this from recurring, or changing to a better knob might help prevent it.

V52S

TDPRI Member
Have had mine since 2019 but keep it in the house when not using it.
Perfect condition, no discoloration or rust.
I wipe it down from time to time also.

-v-

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's

Thanks!

I got no rust on mine.
I ain't got the Monoprice Stage Right 15 watt. I got the Monoprice Stage Right 5 watt a coupla years ago and I ain't got no rust on mine's neither.

Resized_20210203_112745.jpeg

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
Its not dirty hands. I wash before I play. Every time. I can't stand dirty guitars and funked up fretboards. And that's why I wash my hands every time without fail. Also because I have dogs and they get dirty which means my hands get dirty. I'm so, OCD about it that I got temporarily banned here last time somebody posted Mike Campbell's
nasty azz Telecaster because I made some pretty harsh Comments about people who don't wash their hands and play nasty instruments.

As I said, it wasn't dirt. Dirt is visible. That wasn't visible at all without a camera viewfinder to look through. Thanks though.
This has me really curious now. It didn't show up anywhere but in the photo? Did you take more than one photo where it was visible?

Makes me wonder whether it might have been a very thin sheen of oil spreading from the pots. Oil film can cause weird reflections in photos, and it doesn't take much. Not that pots ought to have oil in them, but low-cost electronics often contain weird surprises like that. When you pulled off the knobs, was there any evidence of it under the knobs? If so, that's my top contender. But that's about the only thing I can think of.

goldenhound

TDPRI Member
Playing does not cause rust. Atmospheric conditions in the room do.
I'm afraid I'll have to disagree there. Chrome and especially, gold plate will rust / bubble / corrode badly due to acidic sweat. Personal experience.

I would rust guitar strings to the point of breakage, in two weeks, until I discovered stainless steel strings back in the 70's.