Monoprice Stage Right 15 Watt guitar amp - Opinions needed for upgrade.

V52S

TDPRI Member
Hi there,
I have a Monoprice 15 watt tube guitar amp that I used for harmonica.
I've since added other amps to my music room including 2 bass amps and a Blues Cube Stage guitar amp.
I need opinions about using a speaker that is voiced just for bass sound.
I'd like to install it in the Monoprice.

1. Will playing with a bass guitar damage the amp?
2. Will a bass speaker such as an Eminence Legend Bass Speaker or a Celestion Bass Speaker work with an amp voiced for guitar?

My intentions are to use the Monoprice as a home practice bass amp only.
Don't want to blow bucks on a bass speaker if this is not a practical idea.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks
Vince

Carcinogen

Tele-Meister
Bass won’t damage the amp but it will destroy the guitar speaker unless you turn the bass knob all the way down and play very quietly. A guitar amp powering a bass cab sounds great, but it’s gonna be midrange heavy and overdrive faster. This is literally the classic Motörhead setup.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
If you play at low volume you won't damage the amp. The amp will do ok. It won't sound great. The coupling caps would almost certainly be wrong for bass which will tend to ruin tone.

Honestly, for less than the price of a new speaker and trying to make the amp something it isn't, there's dozens of small bass practice amps including things like Vox amplugs with headphones that will give you superior results for home practice.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Hi there,
I have a Monoprice 15 watt tube guitar amp that I used for harmonica.
I've since added other amps to my music room including 2 bass amps and a Blues Cube Stage guitar amp.
I need opinions about using a speaker that is voiced just for bass sound.
I'd like to install it in the Monoprice.

1. Will playing with a bass guitar damage the amp?
2. Will a bass speaker such as an Eminence Legend Bass Speaker or a Celestion Bass Speaker work with an amp voiced for guitar?

My intentions are to use the Monoprice as a home practice bass amp only.
Don't want to blow bucks on a bass speaker if this is not a practical idea.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks
Vince

This Rumble 15 is on sale for $79

Just buy that. You'll be much happier.

Fender Rumble 15 V3 Bass Amplifier https://a.co/d/j3vZCL6

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
A dedicated bass amp, or a bass cab leaves the Monoprice as-is for future use.
At low volumes, you won't damage anything, but if you crank it, the cone excursion on low notes may somewhat overtax the voice coil.
A bass speaker will overcome that, and playing guitar through a bass speaker tends toward disappointment not damage. Some bass amps sound sublime with guitar, some?, less so.
Consider a cab or a dedicated amp ahead of replacing the Monoprice speaker. Long term, you'll benefit, plus you get a cab or combo to play with, which can't be bad.