Monoprice amp club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Keefsdad, Jul 15, 2018.

1. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Re-furb?

2. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

I don't think so, and it was sold as new. Everything looked brand new. More likely just bad QC. Saves me the bother of removing it.

3. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

A198FE47-379E-4305-B679-EB7B24DA8DA9.jpeg

2fingers likes this.
  4. CF Rowe

CF Rowe NEW MEMBER!

Is anybody familiar with the effects loop in the Stage Right 15 watt amp? I'm thinking about making a volume box to drop the preamp level so I can drive the power tubes harder without getting the cops involved ;) I've read elsewhere that the Laney Cub 12r loop is parallel with a 50/50 wet/dry mix. Can anyone confirm if this is the case with the SR 15 as well? And if so will a volume pot in the loop still be effective? TIA! :)

5. sunnysal

sunnysal TDPRI Member

So...last friday i dragged my Monoprice 5 watt tube amp to a band practice room on a lark. While it had a hard time keeping up with the band by itself (though I must admit it was playable and hearable during all the blues tunes), I decided to plug it into a 4x12 cabinet that was sitting there. Well, this was a revelation; first off all...Bass! a nice, full sound, second I got a lot more volume out of the amp, mostly because I could turn it up farther to 3 or 4 o´clock without getting full distortion and compression (the amp itself tended to to simply begin to distort and compress above about 1-2 o´clock). Now I won´t be buying a 4x12 cab for my 5 watter but it is great to know you can get that full,m loud sound out of the amp if you want to! Anyone else plugging in an external cab to their 5 watter?

6. hoglundtw

hoglundtw TDPRI Member

Buck - no real hum from mine. Shipped with frying bacon sound even when volume turned all the way down. Bad power tubes - asked Amazon to credit me for matched set of power tubes and they did, now sounds great. Also recovered it in tweed and looks fantastic. Will post pics.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  7. hoglundtw

hoglundtw TDPRI Member

8. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I've had mine for over a year now, just did another gig with it last night. The climate here is brutal, but I haven't had even one little problem with it, except for the first gig when i forgot the 1 watt switch was in and wondered all night why it was so underpowered:confused: I did upgrade the power tubes to JJ's.

Neteel likes this.
  9. Neteel

Neteel TDPRI Member

I have one too, and I agree with you. It's a great Product and sounds really good.
    I compared it to a Fender Blues Junior and I choose the Monoprice Stage Right for the tone quality (the Speaker too!) and of course the price.
    Some peoples thing MADE IN CHINA Mean Junk!!! Everything is Made in China or Mexico! Yes China produce Quality and still at a good Price

Keefsdad likes this.
  10. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

Mine sounds better and better with time. Proper biasing and some decent tubes. WGS speaker, because I don't care for 70/80s. I am often amazed at just how sweet it sounds.

I would likely not be as amazed had I paid $1200 for it, but it still sounds terrific regardless.

11. Neteel

Neteel TDPRI Member

This Celestion Speaker sound really Good, I Love mine

12. Neteel

Neteel TDPRI Member

Thank you my Friend, I have a rattle in mine since day One, I changed the Power tube and same thing(rattle) now I will check my Board to try to find the trouble, and solder joints, I love this amp, the sound is Great, really good celestion Seventy /80 speaker. I just put 5 new JJ tubes on mine trying to find my rattle, I will find it on the Board, it sound's good.
    I love the reverb too!, for me no needed to change.

13. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I've bought 3 of the Monoprice 15s. The first one I kept and tweaked. The second one I gave to my nephew as a birthday gift. The third I've left stock with the Shuguang tubes and the Celestion 70/80.

The only problem I've ever had is that the first one came with a bum EL84. I asked Monoprice for a replacement set of EL84s or a credit, as I had plenty of my own EL84s. They sent me a whole new set of tubes - power and preamp.

The Celestion 70/80 speaker sounds very good in this amp. Make sure you put a few hours on it and let it break-in before you rush to judgment. That said, a Greenback or an alnico sound better.

The stock tubes don't sound bad, but I did notice that each amp came from the factory with the bias set at or below 50%. I'd use the stock tubes for a good break-in period. After that, you'll find different tweaks that will help incrementally improve your tone. For power tubes, the Ei EL84s, the JJs and those old Soviet military 6P14P-EVs sound excellent. Make sure you bias the power tubes properly.

Also, to my ears, the Monoprice 15 sounds better with an old (not current production) 5751 in V3.

Just some thoughts based on my experiences.

BB likes this.
  14. daiksa

daiksa NEW MEMBER!

I have a 5751 and I tried it last night in V1. Didn't notice as much of a difference as I expected. I always thought V1 was the biggest change in tone, but maybe I'm wrong. Does the 5751 in V3 change the tone? Does it lower the gain with the 5751 in V3 so I can get more clean volume?

15. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

My suggestion - and this is after many, many hours of experimenting - is that you leave 12AX7 tubes in V1 and V2. The quality of the V1 tube does make a difference, but my ears tell that the V3 tube may be the more crucial of the two in these amps. The stock Shuguang 12AX7 in V2 is fine

So, my specific recommendation for these amps is simple: get your hands on a 1980's production GE 5751. It will help bring out the clarity, soundstage and detail of each note. I've used these specific tubes in many amps for the same purpose and have gotten the same results. I've not used anything in the P.I. slot that consistently achieves these results.

Do not waste your money on a current production 5751 for V3. Every single one I have used/heard sounded woefully dull compared to the NOS variants (GE, Philips, Sylvania & RCA). Of them all - NOS and new production - nothing does P.I. service in these amps as well as the 1980's production GE 5751. Get them while you still can.

16. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

I just had to have another tube amp (I didn't need another amp) and not having one tubed with EL84s, I ordered a 15w yesterday. Maybe the cream color will fit in with the living room decor...

17. mrloshaw

mrloshaw TDPRI Member

I love my 15w stage right, just replaced the power tubes with JJ's and it's amazing, for the price it cannot be beat. I picked mine up for 60 Canadian loonies because the guy selling it said it was busted, well after one look I can tell it was just a blown tube so I purchased a couple new tubes and wam-o she works beautifully. a lot of people think because it's made in China that it's garbage, that's absolute nonsense, the only reason it's so inexpensive is because of the labour costs and if this exact amp was made in the states or anywhere in North America it would be five or six hundred dollars, I used to be a brand name snob but not anymore, I own Squier 50s classic Vibe telecaster and immediately before I picked up the Squire I played the $2,000 American professional and I liked the Squire better I was ready willing and able to pay two grand for the American but I just couldn't get past that it wasn't as good as the Chinese made Squier so now when it comes to products I don't go by who makes it I go by how it feels how it sounds instead. In short, this is the best 15w tube amp for under $200 IMO

2fingers likes this.
  18. mrloshaw

mrloshaw TDPRI Member

I think the dangerous ones were the 1st batch they made with the controls on top, the newer o es with the inputs on the front are not dangerous like the previous or so I've heard

19. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

Mine arrived Sept. 23rd and it came with all JJs - just in case any others would like to know what they seem to be putting in them now. One tube glows less bright than the others (V2 I think, but not sure - it's 2nd tube from the right when facing the back of the amp). Is this normal? Plus mine never sounded "harsh" to me - only got warmer as I played it the last couple of months. Now it's quite a bit TOO warm (DARK) for my liking. Sounds like a box of mud with the bass and mids rolled all the way off and the treble and tone all the way up. Gain and master volume are on "4" on the dial... What gives? I know there are some fixes/mods/swaps for these amps so I'm far from giving up on it. For context, I'm running my strat with old Hohner RP150G overwound single coils (no doubt some amount of the excess warmth could be attributed to this).

20. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

Just a little gold hardware on that beauty would give it a nice tent revival flair! Love the look of them together! NICE :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.