Monoprice 5 watt tube combo

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by shuggoth, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Macatowa

Macatowa TDPRI Member

The tone control on it is what makes it so good, i have ten different guitars i run through it and they all have a different levels of equalization they prefer. I also have a 68' CDR that i can play, but this is getting more play right now.

2. gnew

gnew TDPRI Member

Pulled the trigger...discount is still on...92 bucks, why not?

3. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Under a hundred bucks? Hell yeah!

4. Senor C

Senor C TDPRI Member

I wonder how the 15 watters sound compared to the Bugera and the VHT?

5. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Are you getting this price straight from the Monoprice website? I only see it for $112...

Let me know...

6. CASD57

CASD57 TDPRI Member

Yes and use this coupon for $20 off with free shipping 1STDOWN

7. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Somehow I'm glad we don't get this amp for that price.

I would have to jump on it and still ask myself how many small amps do I really need?

but I would. :lol:

8. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Dang - Out of stock at Monoprice. Lowest I've been able to find is $143...

9. CASD57

CASD57 TDPRI Member

Amazon $129........Whoops they noticed we have been looking..Now $158
    Sorry......

10. CASD57

CASD57 TDPRI Member

I've got a clubhouse I'm going to use to make a video of it and my BlackStar Fly3pak..
    I'm tried of people doing youtube video's with a mic shoved in front of the speaker...I want to hear it in a natural environment.. unmic'd and with clean to slightly driven tones...What grinding look up the Tone King...
    The clubhouse is about the size of a small bar with similar acoustics minus the people and noise..
    I'll try to get as far as I can from the amps without buying a wireless setup and I'm going to noodle around with different attacks and volumes.. trying to get a taste of the tones and if it's boxy sounding
    Also I've got a box of tubes to try in it (RCA's and others) this will happen next weekend...

Also I read a review somewhere that the guy was trying 6L6's,EL34's and the bigger Ampeg tube forget the number... also he removed the neg ground ?.....
    I'll try to find this review..

11. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

This thread got me interested in the Monoprice 15--a Laney Cub 12R with slightly different cosmetics. And it is lighter than the other smaller tube amps that I'm using--an Excelsior and Ramparte fitted with a Jensen C12K.

Plus it has that <1watt input.

Maybe that's what I need to do with my next gig money

12. KDAD

KDAD Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Thanks for the Heads Up

I've been following this thread and, when I saw yesterday that this amp could be had for $92.49, I thought through the morning and in the afternoon ordered.

As to the Laney claims,one reviewer at Monoprice wrote:

"I purchased this thinking it was going to be a Champ clone and it does sound very champ like, but after taking it apart-as i am one to do- i quickly realized this is a reboxed laney cub 8. It says it right on the circuit board and the internals match all the laney cub gut shots I have seen."

I had an Epiphone Valve Junior combo and later sold it and this should help fill that gap of an inexpensive beater tube amp.

High and low inputs and a tone control...under $100...its a no-brainer.

Thanks,

Kevin

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have to wonder if these sound great compared to great 5w tube amps, or compared to $100 5w tube amps.

I have an Epi Vjr head and a combo, so clearly I was pretty happy with them for $100 used.
    But then I got a $250 used 5f1 clone and never play the Vjrs any more.
    Part of the reason I keep them is their over spec'd PT that makes them good platforms for 18w lite builds with only a new OT and some small components.
    I was also very tempted by the VHT Special 6 craze a few years ago, but held back because I'm not sure I want to take up space with budget amps.
    The VHT looked especially good in the moddability feature being hand wired, but if it needs modding maybe I'd just as well buy or build something better.
    It seems clear that these are a step up from the Vjr, but up how far?
    Better than the VHT?

Has anyone compared the monoprice to something like a good 5f1?
    It would be cool to see some youtube comparisons to better amps, just to get an idea of what they are a cut above.
    Amazing price, and makes you wonder about the price of the Laney version.

14. KDAD

KDAD Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Here you go:

"I also disconnected the NFB circuit to give it some more growl and looser jangle. It does have nice chime without any icepick! I also have a old RCA Blackplate 6L6GT that I replaced the 6v6 and I am abusing it with! I dont know how or why the wimpy looking iron remains so cool to the touch? I even tried a old shugan 6550 too! (actually got a little bit headroom back with that tube after removing the NFB )
    If you like a loose touch sensitive bluesy output tube distortion tweed style tone at bedroom level? Get this amp and remove the NFB and you got boutique sounding champ at ridiculously affordable budget!"

That was fron the monoprice site.

Kevin

15. CASD57

CASD57 TDPRI Member

Thanks!

16. mjtrip001

mjtrip001 TDPRI Member

Thanks, I think you're right about that. I got another set of Champ small parts from Mojo (thanks Santa, I mean Mom!) and I am going to try again and do something differently. I'll ground it different, won't do the virtual center tap this time because I found out my power converter already has a center tap, etc, etc... I also never got the 2 inputs to sound different, like a hi and lo input, and I always thought that was the point of the 1 meg resistor on 1 on them. The MP will totally hold me over until I get it right.

As the speaker breaks in, it is starting to sound really nice, but I still miss the vintage alnico jibe of the Weber in my Champ. It's too bad the Ohms don't match, I would love to swap them interchangeably depending on my mood.

17. here4thefall

here4thefall Tele-Meister

Dang it I don't need another amp but this got me intrigued so I pulled the trigger on the 15 watt one.
    I'll post about it after I'very received and had a chance to play around with it.

18. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I've played through the Laney version of the 15 watter. Pretty cool little amp but a bit noisy.

19. here4thefall

here4thefall Tele-Meister

TNO, Was it noisy at idle ? Was it new ?

20. CASD57

CASD57 TDPRI Member

From what I have read the Laney's are know for being noisy... Can't wait to see if these follow that tread..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.