Monoprice 5 watt 8" combo thread ($99)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Fullmoon07, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Lester Paulbanez

Lester Paulbanez TDPRI Member

Fullmoon - thank you for your reviews and suggestions. I just ordered a monprice 5w on a whim -- hard to resist $89 for a decent tube amp -- and I'm thinking about making similar changes. I'm looking for more of a clean and bright tone, as opposed to warm and dark. Any suggestions re tubes/speaker?

Treynor likes this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Play it stock first. It's already in that wheelhouse imo.

Treynor likes this.
  3. otaypanky

otaypanky Tele-Holic

I had to return one and have to say **** Their customer service was excellent ****

4. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I just ordered the little 5W amp on sale for 89

5. Lester Paulbanez

popthree -- be warned, there might be some quality issues with these amps. I was quite happy with mine when it first showed up, but it inexplicably died. I had to return it, as well as the replacement speaker and tubes that I'd bought and was planning to install. I will say that the sellers were very reasonable about the whole thing and gave me my $ back.

6. popthree

how long did it run before death? what were the symptoms? thanks

7. Lester Paulbanez

Approximately 3 weeks. One day I flicked the switch, and the light went on for 5 seconds without the amp making a sound. Then the light went out and it was nevermore. Probably had something to do with the fuse. I sent the thing back and bought myself a VOX ac10 on Reverb, which I've been happy with. Different style amp, tho.

8. popthree

The fuse? Did you check it?

9. Lester Paulbanez

Not really. I just sent it back and got a refund. I didn't have the time or inclination to deal with it.

10. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

I had a failure just over a year since owning, maybe 14 months. I tried fuses and several other things
    to no avail. After trying all things doable the problem pointed to the power transformer. That is as far
    as I got on it. I may look further at repair in the future but it is hardly worth spending too much
    money or time on it. It was never abused and really had limited use, medium volume and so on.
    I like the sound of it quite a bit.

11. popthree

I got mine today. Initial impression....the stock speaker truly sucks. Maybe it'll break in and be better...if I bother playing through it long enough.

I plugged into my 1x12 cab and its much much better....louder, clearer, way more full with good low end....as is to be expected. This is likely how I will use the amp most of the time.

I may try to break in the little 8 by playing a few notes on my bass into a looper and leaving it thumping for a Saturday afternoon....not sure the stock tubes will last long enough to break the speaker in though. I already had one power fade episode...so I guess a tube swap will soon be required.

It aint no fender champ....not even close.... Its about what I expected though

12. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

Sorry to hear that but if it goes a year and peters out I think I could fix it. They just put them back on sale and I got tired of my cheap Mooer SS amp so I pulled the trigger. I was very close to getting the Supro 5 watt single volume knob amp for $599 but the fact it had a printed circuit board was a deal breaker.

13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

That Champs sounds tons better to me. Surprisingly...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.