Monoprice 15w Tube on sale

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BFcaster, Jan 28, 2020.

1. BFcaster

BFcaster TDPRI Member

Yeah I bit the bullet and ordered one an hour ago.
    If it's worth keeping, the plan for the spring/summer is to make a pine cabinet covered in tweed, then shellac it.
    Simply too good of a deal, and I've been waiting for another sale on 'em to come around. I 'kind of' justified the sale to my CFO (wife) by repeatedly saying this past month that my modded 212 Hot Rod DeVille is just too much amp for me now, too heavy, etc etc. and that I am probably going to sell it. Thing is, since I recently changed preamp tubes I love the thing more than ever! It helps we've been getting a ton of overtime at work, and my birthday is at the end of February, so....I figure I got til the end of summer to face up to the question of selling the DeVille.

bender66, joe_cpwe and nojazzhere like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

OK....where's the guy who was asking for a Monoprice coupon the other day? ;)

3. JSMac

JSMac TDPRI Member

I've been watching for a used one locally for a year with no luck so I ordered one the other day. Nearly every comment on every forum seems to be positive so I had to give one a try. And the prices are likely continue to go up until it gets ridiculous.

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The cabinet isn't bad on mine. But if you must have tweed pine I think you can sell the cab. I've had a request for the cab from people looking at the guts of mine I have for sale on Ebay.

5. BFcaster

BFcaster TDPRI Member

The cab is okay, and actually the appearance of the thing is starting to grow on me. I see zero defects in quality on it. The chrome face plate..not a fan.
    I'm leaning on keeping things the way they are, because it's not a Vox, Fender, Marshall, it's a Stage Right. I can see that creamy color getting dirty and such, especially on the super-soft handle, but such is life.
    I think that these aren't generally being found used locally says alot about the amp, btw. Glad I got one!

6. JSMac

JSMac TDPRI Member

Mine hasn't even arrived yet and I'm already thinking about some different color knobs. :)

And why did they put the vacuum tube graphic upside down? The Harley Benton version has it right-side-up. :confused:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  7. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Is this amp:

Vox-ish?
    Fender-ish?
    Marshall-ish?

8. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes.

Just had to do that, no idea.

JSMac, Pontiaddict and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. BFcaster

BFcaster TDPRI Member

HAHAHA! Love that response^
    Actually I am still trying to figure that out because I'm still in what could be called the speaker break-in phase. Had it a week, have literally played it an hour every day, or more, and actually switched the stock 12AX7's for my old 12AX7's from my 1998 Hot Rod DeVille, mostly out of curiosity than anything else. I know these old ones glow more top to bottom evenly, FWIW, than the stock ones.
    It ain't a Fender. It ain't my Peavey Backstage Plus solid-state. It's not my Danelectro Nifty Fifty solid-state. The only Vox and Marshall I know are from records/concert footage/videos/reputation.
    All I can testify to is that it is a tube amp, and that I do in fact like it. Still working on liking the reverb. To my ears it is not a Fender reverb. Pedals? Today was the first day after a week that I even tried them, so my opinion is still out to lunch, but the Boss BD-1 seemed to like it, and my cheap Danelectro Tuna Melt tremolo was as good in her as any other amp with a little reverb(Born on a Bayou...that pedal far exceeds its price, IMHO, as does this amp).
    So there ya go. Not my $0.02, that was free!

10. BFcaster

BFcaster TDPRI Member

I think the bottom line is, and this is from what I am personally hearing and from what I read on reviews, is that played in a live setting with or without pedals, people will come up and say "great sound" and ask about the amp because they can't identify it. I've read comments on forums from owners that have had that experience. It is its own.. and it's really quite good at what it does.

Pontiaddict likes this.
  11. BFcaster

BFcaster TDPRI Member

Tubes go 'up' into the brains, but I agree- it looks correct on the Harley Benton.
    And I'd love that sage green as a covering. If your not a Vox or a Fender or a Marshall or a (fill in the blank) might as well go sage!

12. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

While I'm guessing that I might love this amp, I'm betting I could "love it" even more with 6V6 power tubes! I'd so enjoy seeing a gut shot, or two?
    Thanks & HNAD!
    Gene

JSMac likes this.
  13. JSMac

JSMac TDPRI Member

I see comparisons to the Blues Jr. but with earlier breakup more features.

I'm hoping not Vox-ish.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  14. JSMac

JSMac TDPRI Member

I was thinking the same thing but I have a 6V6 Vibro Champ and I'm hoping the MP15 will give me a different flavor.

15. BFcaster

BFcaster TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.