1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Monoprice 15 watt amp upgrades

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Stewtech, Aug 22, 2019.

1. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Interesting to hear all the positive comments on 6P14P - I think I have a few of those stashed away, haven't tried them yet.

Stewtech likes this.
  2. Stewtech

Stewtech TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it!

Rick330man and Pontiaddict like this.
  3. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

WELL EXECUTED!

4. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

Quick question: I have an old Peavey Backstage 2 (80s version - not the newer "trans-tube p.o.s) that died before it was given to me. I used to use it as a "cab" for my little Danelectro Dirty Thirty amp. Since I've got the MP 15w now (which has the newer metal reverb tank in it), I've thought about taking the red USA-made tank out of the old Peavey and tossing it into the Monoprice. The sticker is missing (got crusty with age) from the tank - but maybe somebody familiar with those old (LOUD) amps can chime in: will it work? And would it be an improvement?

5. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

Input inmpedance on the OC Electronics pan is ~100 ohms from what I'm reading - so it apparently WON'T work in the Monoprice? Yet the Mod brand replacement tank for the Monoprice 15W says it is also compatible for a Peavey Bandit (which would have been equipped with the type 247 reverb tank). I'm confused.

6. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

EDIT: After further research, the impedance stated above appears to be incorrect due to choice of wording by the original writer. It's actually ~60 ohms DC resistance on the input and ~220 Ohm DC resistance on the output side. This is not the same measurement as impedance @1kHz, apparently - but rather a static reading of resistance that may be measured with the reverb tank removed from the circuit entirely. While not an ideal measurement for choosing a compatible tank, DC resistance can still get it ballparked to a replacement tank. I suppose I'll measure the tank that came with my MP15 just to be doubly sure. This might seem like a wild goose chase to some, and the number of springs will remain at two if I swap - however, I hypothesize that to a degree the older-style O.C. Electronics pans' lush sound was also due in part to the stamped one-piece shell (as opposed to the narrower bent & riveted tanks on the market today). Of course, like everything else in the magical world of guitars - it is the sum of the parts that make up the whole (reverb driver circuit, cables, tank location, reverb pot). My primary concerns are: Will I burn up my reverb circuit? Will I even be able to hear reverb when I turn the knob?

I am unable to delete my old posts or edit and amend with this information included - so I'm replying to myself here. But really nobody's tried it? I mean, as well-known as these reverb units were nobody knows if it'll work?

7. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

Find an oddball badge off of a '50s toaster or toy truck or something. That'll do it.

8. The G-ape

The G-ape NEW MEMBER!

They are sold in Europe now, at Harley Benton- https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_tube15_celestion.htm

I made bias adjustment and am now going to experiment with JJ, Tung-sol and Sovtek on V1/V3.

9. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

10. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I changed the V1-3 tubes just because I could...moved them around until I thought it subjectively best. Now has V1-Gold Lion ECC83; V2-EHX (russia) 12AX7; V3-Mullard 12AX7. Better? Maybe.

And, I added a skinny "F" between Stage and Right making it a Stage (f)Right amp.

SuprHtr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.