1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mono IEM Cable

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Gary in NJ, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Gary in NJ

Gary in NJ Tele-Meister

Background
    I use KZ ZS10 Pro for my IEM. I only use one ear piece (right ear) so I can hear ambient noise (drums, bass & the crowd). The band tried using an area mic for ambient sounds, but we all agreed that we felt a little isolated/disconnected from the live experience. As a result the entire band lets one ear piece hang. Not that I think it matters, but I'm the lead singer and second guitar player.

Problem
    I don't like leaving the unused ear piece hang off my shoulder. Eventually it will fall to the side or behind me, pulling out the ear piece I'm using. So I have removed the unused ear piece and have coiled and zip-tied the unused part of the cable back to the "split". It solves the falling ear piece problem, but creates a nice lasso that seems to catch anything near it.

I've looked but can't seem to find a mono cable for IEM's. Is this a unicorn? Should I simply snip off the unused portion of the stereo cable from the harness?

2. heyslowfinger

heyslowfinger TDPRI Member

It exists.

https://www.meeaudio.com/CABLE-MONO-M6PRO-BK/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BFNM2WE/?tag=tdpri-20

As a precaution, and something to be aware about:
    Using only one IEM bud has potential to cause you issues in the long run.
    One ear piece means you'll need to bump the volume up even louder on your body pack as make up gain, since you'll be competing against stage sound.
    Your one ear will be getting more volume than it would if you had 2 pieces on. Over time, this could be no bueno.

An alternative would be to get a pair of IEM's with built in ambience so that you can comfortably use both ear buds, and still pick up the natural ambience (without a mic).
    I'm a lead singer/guitarist and I personally use the Westone AM Pro 30s and those have been great to me. Both ear buds stay in at a very comfortable level, and I can pick up the crowd and stage volume no problem.

EDIT: Realized the KZ's are 2 pin, so I don't think Mono cables exist specifically for those. The MEE's are great though. I have a pair as a backup.

Other option would be getting a MMCX 2 pin adapter. I believe that would allow you to use the mono cable from the links above.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XKWJK6T/?tag=tdpri-20

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  3. Gary in NJ

Gary in NJ Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input. I did see the cable for the MEE's. I actually have a pair of M6's but stopped using them due to poor fit. The KZ fit me better and do sound much better.

Our stage volume is fairly low. Unless it's a large venue, our drummer uses a cocktail kit. Both myself and the lead guitar player use Strymon Iridium simulators. So other than bass and drums, there's no other stage sound. I discovered IEM's late in life, so I do have tinnitus. But that is also probably from life time exposure to motorcycles and airplanes - I have not been good to my ears.

It looks like I'll just snip the cable at the Y junction. Not the end of the world as I can always replace the cable if needed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.