1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Money's burning in the pocket, but can I really justify an AVRI 52 as back up?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mimmo, Dec 19, 2015.

1. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, I found two 52 at a good price (1000), usually they go for 1300 around here.
    Hope I can low it to 900.
    Otherwise I think that my only option is the classic series, maybe a 50s as a back up or a 72 (some have a nice neck) for a different flavour.

2. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Completely understand, I have more than one tele;)
    I was thinking along the lines of a different configuration, maybe something with a bucker or a thin line.

3. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

Get another '52. Swap the bridge for the Gotoh or Armadillo 6-saddle, put a PAF in the neck, wire it like a Broadcaster (blend), and go 5-string Open-G. Voila ... Your own Micawber.

Oh .... Save all the stock parts to restore it to original config, when you decide to sell for something else!

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

All that for a second guitar like one you already have or one not for frequent use? What is your amp situation? A great amp makes a decent guitar sound great and a great guitar sound spectacular. The icons like Fender Super Reverb or tweed Deluxe, Vox AC30, Marshall 1974 or JTM45, Dr. Z, you get the idea.

5. mimmo

Thanks telekato.

Ricky, my main amp is a Lazy J 20 and I absolutely love this thing.

6. tecelaster

tecelaster Tele-Meister

Thomann still have a few of the CIJ bound 60's Teles in stock just now. I had a chance to try one out (a black one) and I thought it was a lovely guitar, although the neck profile was quite slim, but not Squier CV thin. Within your price range.

7. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

I have another suggestion. Is it possible for you to try or obtain a PV (or AV or whatever you want to call it) '64 Tele. I have both the 52 and 64 and they compliment each other well, both being quality guitars and sounding very "Tele-y" and yet being different enough to be noticeable. The 64 has the steel saddles and different pickups which give it a "harder" sound then the 52, but still retaining the punch and clarity of a good Tele. It's worth a thought and should fall within your price range if you can find one second-hand.

8. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

I say get the 52 or any other AV/PV guitar that you'd love to have. There's nothing wrong with wanting 2 of the same guitar, especially if you have a purpose for each of them.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Key questions:
    Do you need a backup or an Open G guitar for performance (as opposed to just wanting another Tele)?
    Do you like the Classic 50s or Partscaster as much you like the 52? It doesn't matter if you save some coin if you really don't like the guitar you purchase.
    Would you be better off purchasing something with different tonal characteristics or is the Tele your one and only preference?

10. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You might look at Cabronitas or a thinline with or without humbuckers. I have these and it gives me a very nice spectrum of tones but staying within the Tele layout, which I prefer.
    I think the Cabronitas are a very reasonable cost in Europe right now and the neck on that guitar is amazingly comfortable to play.

11. mimmo

Thanks for all the replies guys, wow this site is unique!

To answer you all: the japanese option is out of my list, neck too thin. The 64 would be a great choice but no used 64 in my area. In any case here the PV guitars go for around 1300€. I need essentially a backup, the g tuned one would be for my personal use, not at gigs. Tele is my only choice, so I think my option have narrowed to two: try to offer 900 € for one of the two 52 and eventually mod it later or buy a classic 50s AND another guitar to keep tuned in G. Since I want a vintage spec'd guitar I have the choice between the classic series, the road worn, the lacquer. I have no other option. For the g tuned I could live with a flatter radius such as on the classic vibe series since it will not ne played so much.

I am going to make my offer for the 52, cross your fingers for me guys!

And thanks again guys!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  12. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Put a new neck that fits your hand, on the CVC. Sell the CVC neck... The CVCs are amazing guitars... Allparts Co. in the USA, sell nice necks and they come in many sizes. Or trade for one from somebody who prefers a smalller neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.