Money saved becomes money spent

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mugen74, Apr 4, 2020.

1. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

Lately I go to work and come home. Which is what I normally do, but right now that’s all I do. And I’ve been working over a good bit. This has saved me money. So I have spent some of that money. I’ve tried a few different pedals and then sold them on. They were bought used and sold for pretty much the same price. Some less, some more. It all equals out.

I have been wanting to set up a small pedal board and try to learn some country, anything but bro country. I know pedals aren’t necessary, but who doesn’t like new toys. So today I ordered three pedals. Mini Ego comp, mini Tumnus, and the mini Carbon Copy. There’s 2 more pedals I want to add to this board, EP boost and the mini Phase 95. Future plans include a Fender amp and a Tele of some sort.

Right now I have a Marshall DSL 20 head and 1x12. I’ve been running the head through a 4x12 jamming with some dudes, until we couldn’t. I wasn’t real big on the stuff they were playing anyway. I just run a Spark Boost and Mooer Blues Mood into that. Sometimes a DM-2w.

My question, I guess is, who else is trying to learn a new style now, what are you doing to do so, and what are your thoughts on my pedal choices?

jh

Jason_ likes this.
  2. Jason_

Jason_ TDPRI Member

I’m trying to tackle some Country as well. Been working on Jerry Reed’s The Claw, on electric and gut-string, and it’s kicking my butt learning a whole new fingerstyle technique. Love it.
    I just got the Ego Compressor and I think it’s amazing. I had a Dynacomp before that, this is way better imo. Right now I’m running that, a RC Boost, and an OCD into my Twin and it sounds killer to me.

The thing I‘ve noticed about diving into Country, is that those melodies and licks seem to be right there below the surface, lurking in the subconscious of anyone who grew up in America.

Happy picking!

telestratosonic likes this.
  3. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

I just ordered a tumnus deluxe. Same boat as you, spending saved money.

Sounds like a great little board you have lined up, especially for a Tele into a fender amp.

Compressor and analog delay are must have pedals at times, Imo. They may not always be on your board, but they'll eventually find their way back.

4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Grace and the Uke. Fun learning.

5. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My country tastes run to Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Charlie Pride and Hank Williams to name but a few. Classic country tunes with strong melodies. Add Bob Dylan and Gordon Lightfoot tunes as well. I don't don't have a great voice so I try to pick tunes I can sing recognizably. I want my acoustics to sound like unplugged acoustics when plugged into an amp or DI through a PA system.

Until last fall, I'd never owned a pedal. I bought the Tech 21 Acoustic Fly Rig. Imo, this pedal will do it all. It has Reverb, EQ, Boost, Volume, Compression, Notch Filter (anti-feedback) and Phase Filter (anti-feedback), Delay, Chorus and even a Tuner.

The plastic control knobs light up. Nice feature BUT what if some idiot (likely me) inadvertently steps on the Rig and busts up the dials? Down the rabbit hole I went. I bought a Classic Jr. Pedaltrain pedal board to put it on, using velcro.

Browsing Kijiji (it's like craigslist), I came across a like-new Boss AD-2 Acoustic preamp for a cheap price. I bought it. I give it high marks for its simplicity and the sound quality. Using a Fishman NEO-D02 passive humbucker pickup (no volume control) in my Seagull Mini-Jumbo SWS acoustic plugged into the AD-2 and DI to a Yorkville 50KB keyboard amplifier, it sounds great. I put the pedal on the Classic Jr. pedal board using velcro. However, the battery in the AD-2 died on me.

Back down the rabbit hole I went. I emerged with a Truetone CS7 Pure Isolated Power Brick which I mounted to the underside of the Classic Jr. pedal board.

I've realized that this pedal GAS has the potential to get out of control. Instead of a headstock tuner, I've also been thinking about a Boss TU-3 Tuner for use with the Boss AD-2 Acoustic Preamp. Maybe a matching Boss Volume pedal to go with the Fishman soundhole pickup which doesn't have a volume control. I can see them now, all lined up on the pedal board. Purdy. HELP! Stop me from myself! ;/)

Just kidding, mugen74. I'm happy with my choices so far.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Jason_ likes this.
  6. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

7. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

Ok, so my pedals came today. Carbon Copy is going back. This is the third one I’ve tried and I still don’t like it. The Tumnus is freaking amazing!

I like the clarity I’m getting with the Ego Comp on but I’m finding it noisy on the dirty channel of my amp. Is this normal?

jh

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.