Money For Nothing... And Your Amps Are Free!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JayFreddy, May 16, 2019.

1. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, but the tech spent 5 months, 3 weeks and 6 days trying to figure out how to rebias the output tubes.

nojazzhere and unixfish like this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I don’t care if the guy is playing through a tiny Gorilla amp from the 80’s, if it sounds good, it is good.

3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Right. Kempers are not for basement rockers like me. I can't even afford more than a couple cheap and small amps, much less a hoard of huge vintage amps, AND a Kemper to profile them all.

I love the tube glory as much as anyone. But Mark Knopfler didn't get where he is because of his choice of amps. He' Mark Knopflered his way to the top.

It's 2019. It's ok for guitar heroes to join the 21st Century. I know that's hard for some of us to deal with. Here's some hugs.

[​IMG]

4. Whatizitman

J. Mascis is also deaf as a post now. I love the guy. But he can't stay on key now to save his life.

Anacharsis and MilwMark like this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm sure they can roll out some dummy heads and cabs if that matters to you.

nojazzhere and StrangerNY like this.
  6. Whatizitman

MilwMark likes this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

many is the person who listens with their eyes.

MilwMark, JayFreddy and beagle like this.
  8. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

If I didn't "care" or wasn't interested in news about Knopfler I wouldn't have "bothered posting in this thread".

You didn't offer your opinion on his use of the Kemper, not did you state that you only wanted posts from people who are pro Profiling amps.
    So, I felt it was an open discussion.
    Your OP post supplies a link to a badly written and biased article. The article is obviously click bait.

"I was tempted to post a warning at the beginning of this thread because I was worried this topic might make some people upset.
    Apparently that worry was justified
    ."

I'm not upset, I am stating my opinion. That's what most rational people do when posting on forums.
    Since you didn't bother giving your opinion in your opening post, one would have to assume what your reason was for starting the thread.
    Maybe you have no opinion. Maybe what you intended was exactly what happened. Draw in people from both sides of the fence to discuss Knopfler using profiling amps. Maybe cause some heated debate between the two parties.

In the article it stated that Knopfler's tech took 6 months to get the profiler setup. What that means to me is, Knopfler didn't like what he was hearing but knew he needed to use something like this in order to play big venues. So it took a while to dial in. A long while.
    Concert halls and arenas are set up in a way that maximizes the ability of the concertgoer to HEAR the artist. For that particular venue. If a touring act is going to use that venue, they need to be able to interface with that system. Most sound people at the big arenas and halls don't want the band mix on stage for the band to hear. Too much mic bleeding and mix problems. So, the band has to use in ear monitors in order to hear each other.
    That's why more and more performers are using these types of devices. It's a compromise.

Before you question my opinion or experience, I have used these types of devices like the Kemper. Line 6 Helix, Fractal AX8, Axe-FX and Zoom and Digitech and lots of other multi-effect units. A bandmate of mine has a small studio that records bands and does sound recordings for TV and radio ads and some online services. I am the house guitarist when he needs one and he buys this stuff for his business. So far, I don't use them in the studio unless I need to match a specific sound. Per the customers request. Not because I like it. Given a choice I'll use my amps and a couple of pedals. Same thing for live performances. I prefer my traditional stuff because it sounds better.

If you read my previous post I said when people who are know for their tone, like Knopfler, Gilmore, Ford, Carlton, etc start using these devices in the studio instead of real amps, then we might have something. Something that can stand on it's own and not just be a cloning device and an interface.
    Until then, as the saying goes "it is what it is".

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Wildcard_35 likes this.
  9. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

This is my biggest thing against profilers. I can usually tell them apart like 90%+ of the time in blind sound tests, but the difference is usually so minute I wouldn't care or notice if I wasn't actively trying to figure it out. But, good lord are they PITA to deal with. I can sit at a decent tube or SS amp that's not trying to model or profile things and spin and grin. In 10 minutes tops (and that's for weird amps with strange tonestacks or oddly interactive controls) I'll have a sound I really enjoy, no problem. But with a profiler? Give me a week and I might be kind of satisfied for one singular sound.

Plus, I just kind of enjoy the process of dialing in a traditional amp. Hit some open chords, do some muted stuff, chunk some powerchords, turn some knobs, repeat. There's your rhythm sound. Weedly around a little bit, turn some knobs, repeat. There's your lead tone. Donezo and kind of Zen, for me anyhow. But pounding buttons, navigating menus, and adjusting all these esoteric parameters is just frustrating and tedious. That's why I'm personally opposed to this whole wave of people claiming tube amps are on their death bed - the experience of a profiler is just total doodoo.

And frankly, whatever you think sounds best does. Tone and everything else about music is subjective and we do it all for fun anyway. So if your brain tells you a tube amp or a profiler or a toasted filament stuck in a mason jar with 1/4" jacks in and out sounds better, then you're right. Because it's your opinion and you should just do what makes you happy and leave everyone else and their fun alone, darnnit.

Rant over.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I wonder about his "great ear".......? Like many of us, he is aging and his "abilities" may be in decline. He IS an awesome player, and will ALWAYS be one of my favorites, but he may have reached a point where "good enough" is good enough.
    With many performers nowadays, their amps are under the stage or somewhere other than the "backline", with everything going into the mains, so all I would be judging anyway is the sound I hear....and since I almost NEVER go to big concerts anymore, I just don't have a dog in this fight. ;)

11. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

:lol:

King Crimson's new guitarist Jakko Jakszyk has been playing some of Fripp's old parts (since Fripp is playing his parts in 'new tuning'). At a rehearsal, Fripp commented on Jakszyk's Kemper patch: "That's pretty good, what is that?"

Jakszyk: "Early Fripp."

Fripp was quite amused.

12. getbent

86% of all drivers consider themselves to be excellent drivers.
    92% of all statistics are made up

a sound test was done rahtcheer at the old tdpri many years ago... as I recall the venerable Pod 2.0 was the winner. it was quite upsetting as I recall.

I also recall a 'tonewoods' test where tdowns plywood body rectangle shined brightly much to the chagrin of those who just couldn't see it, I mean hear it.

the way food looks affects its perceived taste...

we live in a set of stories we tell ourselves. we just decide if we like something or hate it based on emotions created by feelings and contorted memories of things we think we heard... think of the thing you hold most true... it is likely baseless regardless of how important or true it is.

MilwMark, JayFreddy and nojazzhere like this.
  13. getbent

he was never a HUGE amplifier guy and so much of his music is very quiet and the spacing in his mixes make me think he still hears pretty well (say, versus... hmmm... lonesome dave peverett)

the point of the kemper is not 'good enough' it is precision based. If you have seen his show, he had maybe four amps on stage and mixed and switched along the way (including my beloved tone king imperial!)... so, I don't think he is going with simple on this... he wants precision.

JayFreddy and nojazzhere like this.
  14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I suppose there are some of us who really like to hear the GEAR.
    Joe B. surely has fans like this.
    But it could get too close to the audiophile conundrum...are they listening to music, or are they listening to their gear?

15. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

I think you must not have finished reading my comment? The summary was that frankly it doesn't matter what people prefer blind, because it's all about having fun and doing what makes you happy. And for a lot of people having X kind of gear does that and they think it sounds the best. I'm not trying to prove anything with any statistic, and I even noted that it's only in cases where I know to be listening for it and that even then, it's so minute it doesn't matter.

16. getbent

tenor-2.gif

17. Anacharsis

Anacharsis TDPRI Member

Hearing is the most suggestible sense. The lack of the expected amp on stage will diminish the show...for a subset of the tiny, tiny proportion of concert goers who know or care about guitar gear - and who have a problem with traditional amps not being used.

If I were touring, I'd use a Kemper, too. It's a fantastic tool for the large venue job.

18. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Makes sense from a practicality standpoint. I think the Kemper is an awesome tool.

If they had been around in the 60s, everyone would have used them and this wouldn't even be a debate.

19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sure, why not get them some plastic guitars too while you are at it. As long as they sound like real guitars.

20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The sound at large concerts like that is never good anyway. Waiting for the carbon fibre resonator with the chip in it to replace the real one. Maybe they will paint it chrome. Maybe Dean can make him a pointy one.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.