1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

money as a medium

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by big country, Feb 21, 2013.

1. big country

big country TDPRI Member

(this thread was made with intent not to OT on other peoples topic of worth
    of an old tele )

In a world of people that thought what and why, we thought...

"dear working you owe me a new car and boat for sitting on someone not of my owns work."

( ok this guys a nut your thinking ) your kinda right but wrong , the point Im try to convey is money is a medium of trade if used correctly its a powerful and good tool for trade , Ergo with most things very good can also be verybad

now why does the working world owe me a car and boat for hoarding someone else's work. answer me this. is this a proper trade and is money our medium of trade being used correctly

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. Big John

Big John RIP

Is there an English translation of this ?

3. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Confusing your verbiage is. Simplify, you must. Mmmmm.

4. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

Workers of the World, UNITE!

5. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

:confused:...:eek:...:confused:

Well, I've read that three times and I'm STILL scratching my head...

What on earth are you on?

If by including the word "tele" this keeps the discussion limited to Telecaster topics, then please accept my heartiest congratulations on THE most tenuous link I think I have EVER seen....:rolleyes:

6. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

William Tango Foxtrot??
    Punctuation is your friend.... That is the biggest bunch of mangled words, EVER!

7. guitarmannunly

guitarmannunly TDPRI Member

Im so confused!!!!!!!!

8. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

How does this effect my tone?

9. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Medium is the message, dude. Don't OT it.

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

what worries me is that I think I know what the point is that he is trying to make.

currency has no morality to it. it is simply a means of transport.

(to use your vernacular or modality of communication)

there is no 'mean road'. The road is just the road, we choose to travel it and how we travel it is in part up to us and in part up to circumstance. Money or currency is like that. Money spends.

How we acquire it, how we use it and to what end is up to the individual and the morality of that is also up to the individual, but a franklin has no soul, no ethics, it is solely a transport. Flavorless, tasteless and without meaning.

11. guitarzan13

What worries me is... How the Hell did you get anything at all out of his post?:lol:

12. getbent

he skipped some words, but the words were implied.

Here is my interpretation-->

(this thread was made with intent not to OT on other peoples topic of worth
    of an old tele )

he is trying to avoid taking another thread off topic with a subtopic that interested him more.

In a world of people that thought what and why, we thought...

"dear working you me a new car and boat for sitting on someone not of my owns work."

"Dear Working Man, I am entitled to things that I did not work for and you need to provide them."

( ok this guys a nut your thinking ) your kinda right but wrong , the point Im try to convey is money is a medium of trade if used correctly its a powerful and good tool for trade , Argo with most things very good can also be verybad

money, used as a way to transport good to value and then value back to goods is an effective way of allowing for trade, however, there is a 'devil' in the details of money because money itself can become a good that can generate wealth.

now why does the working world owe me a car and boat for hoarding someone else's work. answer me this. is this a proper trade and is money our medium of trade being used correctly

The devil is in people who work with money as their means to generate money. Effectively, I believe the OP is struggling with the concept largely known as usury. That people can use money to make money, build collections, tie money up in things only to resell at a higher value and speculate on future values and thus earning their living not through the production of goods, but the trading of goods and holding goods in order to generate money.

Pretty sure that is what he is talking about.

13. NickDanger

NickDanger Tele-Meister

If you work the people for OT when the money is not the medium, please can we always be the medium of choice for money when it is not the object or intent? Some time we are better off when we think of not how to take the means but how the means to take.

14. guitarzan13

Impressive GB!

15. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

He's the resident Psychic Moderator. CS

16. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I think you're right GB. In short he's being quixotic.

17. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Getbent I wish you were around when I had to read Heidegger in college. Nice work!

18. getbent

I could be wrong, but I think the thread he is talking about originally was the clue...

the idea of seeing the guitar as a value of commerce vs. an instrument to make great music... I see people struggle with that a lot... and I see both sides.

I've met guitar collectors before and they ask me to play their instrument to see if they should like it... I see a lot of boutique amp owners who can barely play immersing themselves in tone conversations and they post long, in depth missives about tone and they speak with great authority about amps that from what I have heard of their playing, they would never even approach the nuances of those amps nor even learn the settings to be able to actually hear the amp...

before I even form a thought about all that, I just pass by. It is each of our privilege to buy what we want and hoard what we want and trade what we want for whatever reason.

In many cases, how people arrive at their choices and preferences is kind of alien to me or it doesn't lend the same feeling or thought in me, but I also realize my every opinion just doesn't matter... people should get to do whatever they want. They don't have to agree with me to be okay... but I don't have to agree with them either, for them to be okay.

The only time I bristle is when someone else tells me I have to feel and think what they feel and think... in some fashion, their happiness is predicated on me agreeing with them...

Some guy wants to buy up all the 53 teles to put in a vault until they have doubled in value? If it is within the law, so be it. I probably won't think that is the best use of the 53 teles, but I recognize they are operating legally and have every right to buy whatever they want.

A few years ago a really talented (but purportedly broke) guitar player came here asking for a suitable instrument for a player of his skills. And some folks responded and gave him gear. Later, when the hard times continued, the player chose to sell the 'given' instruments and people were upset...

When all of that happened, I kind of shrugged. When we give things to others, we give them. They are gone....

besides, to me, these things are just things.

19. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Wise words, getbent. I've found I grow most as a musician when I'm not trying to draw inspiration from a new gear purchase but instead by pushing myself to create the most with what I have. Let folks hoard all the tweed deluxes in the world. It will give more business to the good builders making new ones. And one of these days, I'll buy one. But for now, I'll just play and push myself and have a good time.

20. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

I read it as saying "Is hoarding items built by someone else, such as vintage guitars, equivalent to work." The poster seems to think not.

Presuming work is what people are paid for, why is hoarding collectibles as a profit move rewarded with money. Is this an appropriate application of money?

My answer is that the guy doing the hoarding took his money out of circulation for a time when he could have been making money with that money, so maybe it is appropriate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.