Momentous NGD : Dakota Red, NOS, and...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mike Eskimo, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

...it's a GE Smith !

**MODS : please don't dump this post in the GE Smith Owner's Gulag faaaaaar below. I posted the serial # there so - all is good**

The power and far reach of the TDPRI.

Posted a grousing thread about how there are virtually no GE Smith's on the used market and a day later Herman aka Slim Chance PM'ed me about one that been in a store for years at a mom and pop near him.

How old-school is this ?

[​IMG]

Stephen there was cool, weighed it for me, little shop-worn but I'm not precious about dings, plastic still on. Ship it out !

* Side note : I've had 150+ guitars. Including this guitar ? 5 were brand-new. Gotta be special for me to fork up brand-new money on something.

I like it. A Lot. 7 lbs even and balanced as hell and - since I once owned two early Fender steels I have no problem with the fret markers - I love 'em.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One thing people don't bring up is how thin the paint is on these things - see the ash grain right through it (like the old ones). Love that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dreams come true - thanks again Herman !

2. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

That is a great find! Cool color! And man that neck looks beefy...nice.

Would you say the cut away bridge gives the bridge pickup a darker tone?

3. Mike Eskimo

Yeah, but also that the pickup is screwed right down to the body and - the fact that it's +/- 10k.

4. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Happy to be an enabler. It looks even better in the light of day than it did in the shop.

5. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

1) Mike: We wouldn't move a NGD post to an Owner's Club thread. The only reason to move it would be if it were in the wrong forum, which this isn't.

2) That little "Mom and Pop " is among the largest retailers on the East Coast. For a long time they advertised themselves as the largest Fender dealer in the USA.

3) Beautiful guitar, nice big fat neck. :cool: Congrats. CS

6. abingham

abingham TDPRI Member

Beautiful.

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

This is true on many of Fender's newer high end guitars. It's true on the new AV lineup (so called Pure Vintage and the flash coat process) and it's true of the Custom Shop models.

Hell, even the urethane finish on my American Deluxe Thinline shows the grain texture.

Fender must have turned the corner on the concept that a thinner finish is more desirable than an indestructible finish.

Oh yeah, NICE GUITAR! Enjoy!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  8. Mike Eskimo

Well see - I'm not on the east coast. So they have many stores too ? THATparticular store looks like it came out of 1958.

Sent me a bunch of Chuck's head stickers too :

http://www.jasperstudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/chuck-levins-03-1024x612.jpg

9. Slim Chance

They do sell a lot of guitars, including a few to me. It does have that Mom and Pop feel, though. Chris probably knows better than I, but I wouldn't be surprised if a certain late Master of the Telecaster, Danny Gatton was a patron at Chuck's.

Here's a shot from the parking lot. I'm diggin' the rosewood.

Attached Files:

10. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Nope, they do all that volume out of that ONE store. :eek: And yes, it's been there since '68, and looks it. But their inventory is almost unmatched. I once went in to try out a Gibson L-4 CES (not a big seller) and they had four for me to choose from. Ask any musician in the mid-Atlantic about "Chuck's" and they'll have a story. CS

11. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Now you're cookin' with GAS...the GAS you've just created for everyone else here...You just never can tell what you may find, covered in dust, that are buried in shops that have been around for years and forgotten about...Great find!

12. Slim Chance

When I was looking for an Eric Johnson Strat, Chuck's had 3-4, none of which were on display. The showroom is relatively small and cramped for the amount of inventory, but they've got a big warehouse on site. You ask for something, the salesman disappears, then reappears with a couple of cases. Fortunately for Eskimo Mike, the GE Smith was on the wall where I saw it. Never saw on in person before so it stuck in my mind.

13. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

What a cool guitar, and a great story! That's one thing I like about this forum--everyone helps everybody else out!

About the guitar--love that Dakota red. Such a great classic Fender color. Nice article about Fender custom colors in the most recent Vintage Guitar.

14. JayJ

JayJ Tele-Afflicted

:eek:

That has got to sound glorious with some dirt.

15. funff

funff Tele-Holic

Oh my lord. That neck! Are these fatter than a Nocaster neck? I've had two fat Nocasters in the past and I don't remember them looking as fat as that when viewed from the side. I miss those necks. Enjoy that guitar and well done on your good fortune, sir!

16. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Glad you finally found one. I had one of the early ones (bought from Motor City Guitar) and unfortunately had to sell it during a 9 month unemployment spell when the auto industry took a dump.

Its one of the few guitars that I seriously still miss after having sold it several years ago. I think member Doster still has it and loves it.

17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I used to frequent Chuck Levin's when I lived in Silver Spring, MD. Cool store. One of the ones that got big before there ever was a Guitar Center, and stayed big. Reminds me a bit of Leo's Music in Oakland, a similar situation....But Leo's did not survive the arrival of GC.

18. Mike Eskimo

Thanks. Yeah , I had an early blonde one when MF was blowing them out for $900-something. I too had to sell very soon after for not good reasons.

All's well that ends well !

19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Woah, love that neck. Congrats!

20. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Nice guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.