Momentary hum on power-up

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by tillamook, Jun 12, 2021.

1. tillamook

tillamook TDPRI Member

Hello:
    About 15 seconds after I turn on my new Vox AC10 it begins to hum, the hum increasing and then decreasing over a period of 30 seconds, then everything is OK although it may be that the low level idle hum has increased a little over the 2 1/2 weeks I've had the amp.
    Is this likely a faulty tube problem? The amp shipped from Sweetwater to the coast of Oregon, it may
    have gotten bounced around a bit.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Bill
    Astoria, Oregon

2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

I would replace the two EL84s/6BQ5s with a balanced pair.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Be watching your power t7bes when you fire the amp up. Is either one redplating at any point?
    I would not want any new amp that does this unless a tech checked it out. It well may be that the tubes are not draw8ng the same current and a new, matched set would cure the problem as Jon says….or it could be another problem that is causing the mismatched current draw. W

4. tillamook

tillamook TDPRI Member

Thanks Wally and John:

I have a new tube set coming on Tuesday, I'll see what happens. I can't see the tubes without taking the back off so I think I'll wait
    until Tuesday to check for redplating.

Wally likes this.
  5. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe one of the EL84s takes a little longer to warm up? I'll be interested to hear the rest of this story!

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  6. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

Armed with the information given by tillamook, an unballanced valve is the most likely cause.
    It could be as simple as one has the heaters is in a slightly different position regarding heat conduction to the cathode and is perfectly acceptable as long as it catches up with the other valve soon after power up.
    If it was a new machine, I would insist of a set of balanced EL84s FOC as a replacement as it will be under warranty and effectively faulty out of the box.

7. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

This.

And if I know sweetwater from previous experience they would not balk at such a request.

8. tillamook

tillamook TDPRI Member

I'm sorry to disappoint those waiting for an exciting resolution of the mysterious hum problem but I boxed up the amp today and it's on it's way back to Sweetwater.
    I was right on the edge of the return window and did not want to be without an amp while dealing with a potential repair or swap. It's a week and a half shipping time from Sweetwater to the Oregon coast.

A side note: Sweetwater informed me that swapping the tubes myself would void the Vox warranty. I guess you could always be a sneaky criminal type and not tell them.

I made the drive into Portland yesterday and picked up an AC15C1X (Alnico Blue loaded), Yowza!

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  9. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

That the story has a happy ending is good enough for me! Congrats on the AC15. :cool:

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Do they have a rectifier tube? A couple of my vintage amps do that until the rectifier warms up. Then they get silent.

11. tillamook

tillamook TDPRI Member

No rectifier tube in the AC10.

Thanks, the AC15/Blue is perfect with my current favorite, a flatwound strung Gretsch hollowbody.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.