Molested my Baja

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ricardo1912, Nov 8, 2015.

1. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I know it's sacrilegious but I changed the neck on my BSB Baja. I really like the pickups, the S1 switching can be fun and the overall look and quality are great. But the neck, which most folk seem to love, was just a bit chunky for me.
    So I lifted the neck from a Cabronita. Played it all night at band rehearsals and it is excellent. Didn't have to do much setting up either - the string height was practically spot on and the intonation is fine. So glad I did it and made a keeper out of an occasional player.

Attached Files:

2. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

Happy the new neck works for you, but I do love my baja neck. It just fits like a glove. I'm always willing to accept baja neck donations. :D

3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

A Fender Tele neck on A Fender Tele body . . . I don't have a problem with that . :)

4. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Tele molester!

5. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

You probably have 46 PMs in your inbox asking how much you'd sell the Baja neck for :lol:

6. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

One or two :lol: Nice neck but the depth further up and the fact that it is still a fairly slim neck side to side made it hard work for me. I do miss the nice tint on it tho.

7. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I did the same. Something about the Baja neck... (I have a '52 AVRI and an 8502- both have nice chunky necks that I love to play but I can't get used to the Baja neck)
    So I put a Fender rosewood neck on the black one -original Baja, the other is a 60s Baja in faded sonic blue.
    [​IMG]

8. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Congrats, that's the way to do it.
    I'll never understand how anybody can play on a skinny neck. I have small hands, but I've got to have a thick neck.
    Each to their own though. No sense playing something that doesn't feel "just right".

These days there are plenty of options when it comes to necks. Everyone can be Goldilocks.

9. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

I think the key is the neck has to feel right. Everything else is fixable. Glad you have it the way you want it.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You gotta use what works for you; we're all looking for what's best, for the individual player.

Having said that, this neck is not narrow. Next to an Allparts/MIJ neck of 1 + 5/8ths, it is plenty wide. I thought that image I posted of the narrow string array nut mistakenly installed on the wider Baja neck proved that pretty well.

11. engineer

engineer Tele-Meister

*GAAASSP*

Oh well, as long as you're happy.

12. Rayner

Rayner Tele-Meister

I sold my Baja for the same reason but I didn't want to go down the road of changing the neck as it was too heavy for me as well, shame it was a lovely looking guitar.

Each to their own but the neck is the most important part isn't it? It is what you're holding for hours on end, like shoes, if its not comfortable something has to change.

Glad you're happy, I know I am :)

13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I'm in East London today.. Still got that neck?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.