1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mojotron's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Mojotron, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Due the shortage of misguided financial endeavors, baseless opinion, unrestrained lethargy and self deprecation in the world - plus my inability to pass a router without picking it up - I'm IN!

I know I did not finish on time last year... And, I said I was going to keep it simple this year and finish on time... Well, forget that, I got even crazier ideas this year :lol:

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

WOOT! :lol: Good luck man!

3. Mojotron

Thanks!! Ya this is going to be great.

4. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I like the practical assessment of your current situation...and the reckless abandon to ignore the practical assessment. Good luck

5. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Glad to see you in! Good luck!

6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

What he said :lol:

Good to see ya back :D

Dave

7. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck, Mojo! Nice to see the old crew back for more!

8. Mojotron

Life is more interesting that way :lol: Thanks! May as well leave it all on the field - can't take it with you and you only get to make so many guitars - we are going to make some awesome stuff this year!

Thanks!!

Ya - I see a lot of friends with threads - I think we must have finally gotten over that burn out from last year. This is great!! Ya don't have any gator skin do ya? :)

9. hockeygoon

hockeygoon Tele-Holic

Here's to seeing your finished guitar! I'm sure you'll finish.

10. Mojotron

Thanks!! I always finish.. on time - on so much.... I'm planing on it this time. Last year's guitar, though late, has been my main axe all year - this year I'm going to build on top of the design changes I did last year.

11. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. I'm stitching mine together out of several small lizards. ;)

12. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Do it Mojotron! I think the challenge you'll be facing is to
    not load yourself with *too* many challenges. :lol:

13. Mojotron

Thanks! And, oh don't I know it Glenn! I've not built a guitar since wrapping up the 2011 Challenge build - but that one ended up being my favorite so far.

14. Mojotron

Deep Thought #1:
    Thoughts on this years Challenge build:
    1) I'm going to leverage the design I came up with for last year's challenge build. Here are the motivations from last year:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/3118911-post1.html
    And, the neck analysis I did back then:
    http://mojotronics.com/images/Guitar_builds/2011_TDPRI_Challenge/Mojotron_2011_TDPRI_Challange_analysis.pdf

2) I'm thinking of making the bridge plate out of 1/8" thick brass, and I've been playing with a new bridge design - but I may just go with Leo's 3 saddle design if I can't work out the mechanicals on the saddles for the design I'm working on.

3) I have to get the balance better than last year's challenge build. Part of the problem with last year's build was that the Cherry wood I used for the neck was insanely heavy/dense - like it was Ironwood or something really dense. I'm thinking this year I may use something that is a big more straight forward and go with some Khaya Ivorensis or perhaps push the envelope a little and use a super light Maple like Silver Maple for the neck. On the other hand Bigleaf Maple is only about 13-15% heavier and significantly stiffer/harder - could be a great compromise of weight/mechanical properties.

4) Fret board: I'm going to use a dark Rosewood or Rosewood-like wood. Perhaps it's time to see if I'm one of the lucky ones that have a Pau Ferro/Morado alergy?

5) Body wood: I have some great ribbon-grained Khaya Ivorensis, but I also have a really nice Alder board. I also have some nice Bigleaf for a top... Still thinking on this.

15. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

Glad to see you in it Mojo!

It's gonna be a great yaer...I can feel it!

Mark

16. Mojotron

Yep - me too Mark - this is great already!

17. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

It just wouldn't be right without some "Mojo" , glad you are in.

18. Mojotron

Thanks Herb!! I'm in the same place as you... "I will by the weekend..." as far as sorting out what to do - been thinking about a lot of ideas the last 8 months or so. A lot of my blades/bits are coming back from getting sharpened Friday - so I think Friday night I get the planer out and start gluing, Saturday morning I fire up the router and things get busy :)

19. Mojotron

Deep Thought #2:
    Pickups/tone: I'm looking to replace the more standard Tele that I use for "Humbucker" tones with the wider/longer neck design from last years challenge. I'll likely wind my own and make them close to a Gibson Classic pickup set - maybe the neck pickup under-wound a bit and the bridge pickup over-wound a bit. I have a few sets from Mojotone, but they are a little wider than the PAF bobbins. Magnets... I have a ton of A5 magnets that are a little weak - I guess one could think of them as "Alnico-4" magnets, I'll likely use them. I love the Alnico-2's that I've had - much softer tone - if I can find some I may go with those.

20. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

Looking forward to the thread. Glad you are in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.